Air Drying Laundry

I save on utility bills by air-drying virtually ALL of my laundry. In good weather, I use my backyard clothesline (my environmentally friendly solar-powered dryer!). In bad weather, I hang items on a sturdy wooden folding clothes rack I bought at an auction. Most of the folding clothes racks available in stores now are not as sturdy, but they will still work just fine for lightweight items.

My drying rack is in a spare room, but if space is tight in your house, you might want to set up the drying rack in your bathtub or shower, and let clothes dry all day until the tub is needed.

Once the clothes have air-dried, I toss them in the dryer for about 5 minutes to "fluff" and soften, using a dryer sheet -- I use the same dryer sheet for multiple loads. Even if the clothes are still a little wet when you have to take them off the rack, you have reduced the amount of time they will need in the dryer. Every little bit helps!

By Becki in Indiana

This is a great idea! I have an addition to it though. Instead of having drying racks all over the laundry room, I'm thinking of hanging up a couple of retractable clothes lines in there. Then when they aren't in use, I can just retract them and not mess with finding a place to store them.

I use an extra shower curtain rod in my bathtub. I hang wearing clothes on hangers and then hang them in the main bathroom. I usualy dry the clothes in the dryer for about 5 minutes or so first. I never thought of putting them in there later. I have also used my shower curtain with the shower curtain pulled all the way open. I have even put towels or such over the rod. And have pinned them to clothes hangers. I love to save money. I don't have a clothes line anymore. =( I do want one though. I may have to find me two trees close enough together to make myself one.

Simple Things We Can Do To Save Energy, Piggy Bank and Electric cord
Simple Things We Can Do To Save Energy
Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryJanuary 14, 2005
Dried orange slices, bundle of cinnamon sticks, and cloves.
Drying Oranges
A/C Heater Vent
Ford F150 Air Conditioner Blowing Hot Air
A pile of dried apple slices.
Drying Apples
Air Ionizer and Purifier for Allergies
Improving Indoor Air Quality
🎉
🎄