Keeping Salt from Clumping in the Shaker

To prevent salt from clogging with moisture, I put 1/4 teaspoon of dried parsley leaves into the salt shaker. I then add the salt. It works every time.

Don't throw away a hard box of salt. Beat it with a hammer. It can be used in the winter for melting ice. Add it to a bag of salt for melting ice.

Source: I got it from experimenting.

By Ellen Lou S. from Knoxville, TN

Anonymous

I got huge giggles about using a hammer to break up the salt ;-) I'll try the parsley flakes but I've always used a little white rice (not minute rice) to absorb moisture. Thanks for the tip!

Anonymous

At one time I had a problem with hard salt I cut it out of the box, and I used a grater to grate the salt worked fine.

Yes, I do the same thing. I put a tsp of rice in the bottom of my shaker.

Dried beans will also work well. We used 3. It doesn't matter what kind of bean. But if you are in a very damp place you might want to place small pieces of saran wrap under the lid to keep it dry in between uses.Cut a piece a little larger than the top of the shaker then screw the lid back on - takes only moments to deal with + if it gets knocked over,none spills out.

We had to do this when we camped out all the time.We would never dream of it any other way - You're probably not camping out right this very minute but..

I thought of another thing as I was going back to today's tips. Storing powdery spices in shaker jars above the stove cabinets is not the ideal place to store such. Steam is hard on them. Especially the powdered or granulated bouillon.

My mother taught me to put about a teaspoon of uncooked rice in the salt shaker, which I do, and it never clumps.

To keep salt from clumping in humid weather simply place a small piece of paper towel over the top of the shaker, covering the holes. I've tried using uncooked rice, and/or soda crackers inside the shaker, even used the little dehumidifying capsules that come in vitamins, and nothing would work. The paper REALLY does work and I found out by accident.

By Margie Minard from Mount Vernon, OH

Answers:

Rice works for me, maybe you did not put enough rice in your shaker (06/09/2006)