Maple Cupboards

I have maple cupboards and I want to know what color I should use to paint the walls around them? I have a wood walnut laminate floor and black speckled countertops, my fridge and stove are stainless steel. Our home is a total open concept and is currently painted mustard yellow through out and it's too much and too bold, its everywhere. I was wondering if a dark brown in the kitchen and a lighter tan in the living and rest of the upstairs would look ok?

Penny from Dryden, Ontario

How about multcolored (as in Mexican) tiles for the area of the backsplash, or mirrors for that area?

Get a fan deck (strips of paint color), and use the fourth shade from the outside for the LR, and the second shade from the outside for the kitchen, whatever the color, for matching colors.

Alternatively, if you're using different colors, use shades on the same level if they are on different strips.

For the ceiling, use the shade closest to the tip. For trim, use the second shade from the tip, either the same shade or contrasting shades.

You can buy a fan deck of the brand of paint you use. Later, when you have chosen your colors, pick up a few of the larger paint chips to label your used paint cans, so matching later is easy.

If you're not sure, buy a small container of paint, and paint a 3'x3' area to see if it works for you. Everyone will have an opinion! Do your choosing at home, where it's quiet. Make your list before you shop.

Your color choice should be determined by the feeling you want your room/home to have. The mustard is probably too much with the maple wood because the maple has a yellow biased tone as well. Tone the whole thing down but keep an a monochromatic scheeme going by choosing a softer, clearer yellow (avoid mustardy colors which contain red tones and therefore are too "hot"). If you want a more contemporary feel I'd pick up on the black and stainless colors you already have and either go white or soft grey on the walls in which case the maple will stand out like artwork on your walls. Otherwise you might choose a warm, soft or medium intensity green. Personally I'd avoid the dark brown with the walnut floors and the black in the counter tops. Too many hues of dark value.

Martha Stewart Card #106

E06 Kitchen

G24 Open areas

Any Trim that is paintable

A05 or F15

May I suggest "eggshell finish" Looks Flat, no sheen but washable like satin or semi-gloss. Can't go wrong with this combo.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Paint Color AdviceNovember 6, 2006
A cat in a kitchen cabinet.
Keeping Pets Out of Cupboards
Salad with balsamic vinaigrette.
Maple and Balsamic Vinaigrette Recipes
Maple Fudge
Maple Fudge Recipes
Maple Tree
Growing Maple Trees
🎄