Schnoodle That Bites

My name is Baxter, I am a 9 week old schnoodle. I like to bite instead of love. Can anyone tell my mom If this is normal for a schnoodle. According to everything she has read I am supposed to be very loving. Well I'm not.

Baxter

Best Answer

Baxter - all 9 week old puppies like to chew and bite - you should know that with all your little teeth growing and giving you pain. What you shouldn't be doing is snapping at your Mum. If you were mine Baxter I would growl very sharply at you if you snapped and say NO! in a very firm growly voice - just like your natural mother would do and she would probably give you a nip too! I think if I don't do this you may end up a dog that snaps and bites and you may be packing your bags for a one way trip to the vet!!!! I expect you would like lots of firm toys and bones to chew on at the moment to help your teething wouldn't you? So remember Baxter, chewing and sometimes biting a bit too hard in play is OK when you're teething but snapping and biting when approached by your humans is a big no-no and, without correction, you could grow into a very nasty little dog!

Regards and pats

Jo

I have 3 Shnoodles ages 3,4 &5. They all had biting issues as puppies, I would tap them on the nose and say no. They ask grew out of it and are extremely smart loyal and attached to my husband and I. I can't ever see us without a Shnoodle in our lives. Wonderful pets, or kids s we call them. Great choice. Be patient.

Best Answer

Also, flipping him over on his back after he bites you and holding him down with the flat of your hand works well too. Puppies try to find their place in the family fairly quickly and you need to tell him that he's beneath you in the hierarchy and whatever he did made you upset. Turning him on his back and pinning him on the floor for about 30 seconds usually does the trick. Growling helps, but don't get your face too close to his, or he might try to bite you if he is an aggressive puppy. And it's very important to maintain eye contact with him during him being on his back. In a dog pack, weaker animals look away first, so make him look away before you do. Be consistant, if you don't correct him for bad behavior now, he'll do it the rest of his life.....

As a side note, don't hold a grudge with him. Puppies have a short memory (I know pups that forgot where the food dish was :) ), so they need to be corrected RIGHT when the event happens, not seconds or minutes later. If he plays without biting, praise him a lot and let him know he was a good boy.....good luck!

Best Answer

HI! I also have a schnoodle who loved to bite. I was a little worried just like you. But, he grew out of it and now he's the most loving dog I've ever had. So don't worry it's just a phase!

Best Answer

Could he possibly be teething? I have a 15 week old schnoodle and he is biting and chewing everything. We just try to keep him busy with chew toys for puppies and old towels to chew and play with. It's a chore, but it will pass. Ours is crate trained so when we are exhausted we give him a treat and put him in his crate (den) for a while. He doesn't mind.

I agree with the previous post. I have a very obnoxious noise that I make that makes people & animals stop in their tracks. It's an "AATTTT" while smiling & making the sound in the back of my throat. It's hard to explain but it works hugely. They have no idea what's happening & they just look at me.

Baxter , you got to stop biteing your mom. your teeth are probably hurting you, have mom take you to the dr. just to be sure that there is nothing wrong with you. When I was little I bit my mom and she bit me back, that stopped me, but she took me to the dr first just to make sure there was nothing wrong with me other than teething. It hurts a lot ! Sometimes she would give me a hard rubber toy that she had in the freezer to chew on, that helped a lot too ! Now I am a very sweet loving doggie.

Dear Baxter & your mom, our little dachshund mix used to play bite us a lot after we first got her and even though we knew she was just playing, we wanted her to stop. My mom said to try something her mom told her about years ago: whenever the dog bites you while playing, in a real pitiful, whimpery voice say something like "oh, ow ow ow, you hurt me so bad, ow ow ow!" Only took a few times and she quit biting so hard and now only pretend bites us gently once in a great while. Sure worked with our dog!

Is it biting or chewing? I learned that young pups like to chew on people they love because this goes back to them feeding off their mother. To get their milk and comfort, they would chew on their mother. My pups did this with me as I was their new mother figure. They eventually grew out of the need. When they would get too aggressive with it I would stop them and tell them "no" very firmly, and not let them continue.

Jeanne

hello, my schnoodle is also biting he is about 14 weeks. he is not just biting he is jumping up and biting me and snapping at me. he only does this once in a while. he started about 2 weeks after i brought him home and then calmed down a little. then he just started the other day again. has your schnoodle stopped biting you yet. let me know thanks

Schnoodle Breed Information and Photos
Schnoodle Breed Information and Photos
Pets AdviceFebruary 1, 2005
Pizza Pull Apart Recipes
Pizza Pull Apart Recipes
Mosquito Bites
Treating Insect Bites and Stings
Chocolate fondue
Chocolate Fondue Recipes
Chigger on Leaf
Remedies for Chigger Bites
🎄