Red Faux Painted Walls

I am looking for suggestions for faux painting a dining room with reds. I am wanting a deep, rich red color, but am not sure what kind of effect the glazing will have on it. I will probably be using a shade that is the darkest or next to the darkest on the paint strip for the basecoat. Do I use just one or two shades lighter than the base coat to mix with the glaze? I want a subtle effect and I don't want it to look like a washed out red. Do I do a faux technique that uses "straight" paint? Haven't been able to find help on the web or many pictures. I did see a picture where black was used to tint the glaze, but it was too small a picture to get a good idea what it looked like. (Maybe it's just a bad idea to do this!) Thanks.

Judy from PA

I don't know anything about glazing but I do know that when you put paint over a large area the color intensifies so you should use a shade or two lighter to get the effect you want. Also exposure effects color: a south or west exposure makes the color brighter and warmer. An east or north exposure makes color cooler and more somber.

I would suggest painting the red you want and then tape off the wall to make stripes. When the tape is on in the size of stripes you want paint every other stripe with a clear glaze or varathane. The effect is very subtle but also very dramatic.

I saw a show on TLC, While You Were Out where they painted a room red and it wasn't the shade that they wanted, so they took wood stain and rubbed it on (over the red). It came out gorgeous. I've been wanting to try it in one of my rooms. (The episode was for an Old World Study). Good luck!

I am a Certified Ralph Lauren Specialty painter and there is a finish done in the antique leather technique, color moroccan red. I did this as a feature wall and it turned out gorgeous! The base is stadium red TH24 and the glaze is moroccan red (almost black) AL11. (all Ralph Lauren Paint) Here is photo of part of the wall. (rest of room not done at this point)

Woman with lots of painting options
Wall Painting Ideas
Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingNovember 5, 2007
White fake cake of boxes and bows
Faux Wedding Cake Ideas
White painted kitchen cabinets.
Cleaning Painted Cabinets
Painted Chinese furniture.
Cleaning Painted Wood Furniture
White wall with dark green sponge painting.
Sponge Painting Walls