Wall Painting Ideas

My sister and I painted this border on her living room walls. She sponge painted several colors of green on the walls, then masked off and painted a beige border. Then, using bottled acrylic paints, we painted the flowers, leaves, and vines, freehand. The technique is similar to Donna Dewberry's style, and the trick is to keep the shapes loose and free, with some designs going above and below the solid border.

The flowers literally dance around all four walls, and it is a delight to see - more interesting than a wallpaper border. We had a blast doing this project together!

Read More or Comment...

Gorgeous! You and your sister should go into business!

Not only pretty to look at but how fun! You and your sister make a great team wish I lived close to you,
I'd hire you,,,

Nice job. I like how the vines kind of " drip " off the beige border.

I have also done stenciling in some rooms, makes you feel good, doesn't it??? Thanks for sharing. ~ Holly

That is BEAUTIFUL!!! I love that, what a creative pair you both are!

I LOVE it!!! Thanks for sharing!! It brings back some memories of the morning glories in my Grandma's fenceline!!

I am looking for suggestions for faux painting a dining room with reds. I am wanting a deep, rich red color, but am not sure what kind of effect the glazing will have on it. I will probably be using a shade that is the darkest or next to the darkest on the paint strip for the basecoat. Do I use just one or two shades lighter than the base coat to mix with the glaze?

I want a subtle effect and I don't want it to look like a washed out red. Do I do a faux technique that uses "straight" paint? Haven't been able to find help on the web or many pictures. I did see a picture where black was used to tint the glaze, but it was too small a picture to get a good idea what it looked like. (Maybe it's just a bad idea to do this!) Thanks.

Judy from PA

Answers

I don't know anything about glazing but I do know that when you put paint over a large area the color intensifies so you should use a shade or two lighter to get the effect you want. Also exposure effects color: a south or west exposure makes the color brighter and warmer. An east or north exposure makes color cooler and more somber.

I would suggest painting the red you want and then tape off the wall to make stripes. When the tape is on in the size of stripes you want paint every other stripe with a clear glaze or varathane. The effect is very subtle but also very dramatic.

By Elizabeth (Guest Post)

I saw a show on TLC, While You Were Out where they painted a room red and it wasn't the shade that they wanted, so they took wood stain and rubbed it on (over the red). It came out gorgeous. I've been wanting to try it in one of my rooms. (The episode was for an Old World Study). Good luck!

I am a Certified Ralph Lauren Specialty painter and there is a finish done in the antique leather technique, color moroccan red. I did this as a feature wall and it turned out gorgeous!

The base is stadium red TH24 and the glaze is moroccan red (almost black) AL11. (all Ralph Lauren Paint) Here is photo of part of the wall. (rest of room not done at this point)

My faux brick on my fireplace needs painting, where do I start?

Linda from Sanford, NC

Answers

By Michele (Guest Post)

Are you wanting to paint over the brick in another color? If so then prime the brick with a good primer. Then paint as usual...making sure to get into the cracks. We just painted my mother in laws faux brick wall that a wood stove used to sit in front of and it looks great...we painted it white. Good luck.

Creating a faux rock wall can give any room a rustic charm. This is a page about making a faux rock wall.

A faux rock wall behind a Tiffany lamp.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This page is about sponge painting walls. You can create an interesting look to your walls with the addition of paint applied with a sponge.

White wall with dark green sponge painting.

Viewing This Page
Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingFebruary 12, 2015
📓
😎
😷
🐛
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Wall-Painting-Ideas.html