Making a Faux Rock Wall

Creating a faux rock wall can give any room a rustic charm. This is a guide about making a faux rock wall.

These 'rocks' are made of joint compound and were formed directly on the wall in stages. After each coat dried, I added more compound until I built up the rock. They aren't finished; I will add more color and will use real grout in between the rocks. This look continues across this entire wall and into my living room to give the room a warm and rustic look.

By Sandra from Orlando, Florida

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Top Comment

thanks everyone for your nice comments. my husband and son are getting tired of looking at the unfinished walls and I don't blame them! I stopped working on it for Christmas and we have been working on other projects but I will continue on it one of these days.

I will certainly send you all a private email with instructions if you like. I don't mind at all and you all are very kind.

By Paula (Guest Post)

Sandra, you should go into interior design, but I think you said that you are going to school for dog training, right? I love this faux rock idea, I have been looking for something rustic to do with a room in my motel to give it a "lodge look" and I appreciate your sharing your ideas with all of us! Best wishes in the dog training career!

wow !
very clever of you & artsy !
love it !