Baked GoodsCopycat

Eddie's Pastries Butter Top Coffee Cake

Attention all citizens and former citizens of Cairo, Illinois. I recently had posted a request for a long-loved Cairo, Illinois recipe from the 60s (or perhaps earlier?). The recipe I am in dire need of is the "original butter top coffee cake" from Eddie's Pastries in Cairo.

In my previous post, I had a kind person offer one recipe and another suggest a St. Louis Gooey Buttercake option. Unfortunately, I have tried every recipe offered on the web and each time my husband tells me it is still not the right recipe.

Also, it is nothing like a Gooey Buttercake or even a coffee cake. It is supposedly a legend of its own. After years of trying to bless my husband with the cake of his childhood, I am pleading with someone from Cairo, Illinois, to please offer the original recipe, and not one already on the web.

After one year of unemployment, my husband's birthday is quickly approaching and this may be the only gift I can offer him. I also know that a lady sells these cakes in Illinois, but I do not live close, nor could I afford such luxury at this time.

I would like to surprise him with "THE" recipe that I can make him each year for his birthday. Please help if you can. After such a hard year, this would be a wonderful gift to a husband whom I dearly love. Thank you so much! I greatly appreciate your help.

By Mom from MO

Me again. I think I found it. The original cake has powdered suger on top but this looks like the real thing. I hope it is. Please let me know.

http://www.theh  oey-butter-cake/

Ok, I bet this will help (I hope).

Go to www.hungrybrowser.com

This man has a website that's called something like 'Phaedrus finder of lost recipes' and he found a recipe for a cookie my husband's aunt made, but he only remembered like the shape and what their family called them, plus 1-2 ingredients.

his email is: phaedrus@hungrybrowser.com, but go to the site first because you might find your recipe there already!

Good luck and happy birthday to your husband!

Herman Starter

1 package active dry yeast

2 C. lukewarm water

2 C. flour

In a large glass jar or crockery pot, dissolve the yeast in

the lukewarm water. If water is too hot it will kill the

yeast. Add flour and beat until smooth. Cover and let set at

room temperature for 48 hours. Makes 2 cups of starter. Use 1

cup to start feeding Herman and find a good house or friend

for the second cup.

Care and feeding of starter: Keep Herman in a large covered

container in the refrigerator. Stir once a day. On the first

and fifth days feed with 1/2 cup sugar, 1 cup milk and 1 cup

flour. On the 10th day use Herman to prepare cake. By that

time Herman will have grown to 4 cups. Use 2 cups for baking,

1 cup of starting another 10-day cycle yourself and 1 cup for

a friend.

Herman Coffeecake

2 C. Herman starter (on left)

1 C. sugar

2/3 C. oil

2 C. flour

2 t. baking powder

1/2 t. baking soda

1/2 to 1 1/2 t. cinnamon

1/2 to 1 t. nutmeg

1/2 to 1 t. ginger

2 eggs

1/2 to 1 C. nuts

1 C. raisins, dates or apricots

Combine all ingredients and pour into a well-greased and floured 13

x 9-inch baking pan. Top with streusel.

1 T. flour

1/2 to 1 C. brown sugar

1 to 2 T. cinnamon

1/4 to 1/2 C. melted butter

2/3 C. nuts, optional

Mix ingredients and top coffee cake batter in baking pan. Bake 35 to

50 minutes in 350°F. oven.

Glaze:

1/2 C. butter

2/3 to 1 C. brown sugar

1/2 to 1 C. milk

Put ingredients in saucepan and boil for 5 minutes. Pour over baked

coffee cake when it emerges from the oven.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This sounds like the recipe you were asking for. Hope it helps.

Found this recipe in my moms cookbook she passed to me.. not sure its the same but its a good one and you make it and set in refrigerator over night it yummy. Hope you find what you are looking for if you do please give me recipe it sounds wonderful!

Ingredients

1/3 cup butter, softened

1/2 cup white sugar

1/4 cup packed brown sugar

1 egg

1 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 cup buttermilk

1/4 cup packed brown sugar

1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions

Lightly grease an 8 inch square baking pan. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, white sugar, and 1/4 cup brown sugar. Beat in the egg until well blended. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Stir the flour mixture into the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Spread evenly into the prepared baking pan.

In a small bowl, mix 1/4 cup brown sugar, walnuts, and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Sprinkle over the batter. Cover, and refrigerate overnight.

The next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bake the cake for 40 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

This comes from my Aunt Mary who was born and raised in Cairo.

1 pkg yeast

1/2 cup milk

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 cup warm water

2 Tablespoons shortening

1 egg

1/4 sugar

2-3 cups flour

Grease a 9 x 13 pan, can be a little larger

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Heat milk and melt shortening in hot milk. Cool.

Beat egg, add salt and sugar and mix

Add milk mixture. Add yeast and mix.

Add flour a cup at a time or less. After all the flour has been added, scrape the sides of the bowl. Cover with wax paper and let rise for two hours or overnight until doubled.

Place on a floured board and knead 200 strokes; roll dough in pan

Put topping (below) on dough and let rise in warm place.

Bake at 350 degrees on the middle shelf for 15 minutes. Watch carefully, the topping will become medium brown.

Topping:

3/4 cup margarine

1-1/2 cups sugar

1 tsp. vanilla

1/4 cup powdered milk

2 Tablespoons flour

3 eggs

Cream margarine until light and fluffy. Add sugar, as your beating, add eggs one at a time. Add milk, flour, and vanilla. Continue to beat until the topping becomes very light and fluffy. Spread over the dough and let rise.

Anonymous

That's the exact recipe. I had everything BUT THE NOTES.

I am from Southern IL and ate eddies cakes every weekend. This is as close as I can find to the real thing.

Cake ingredients:

2 cakes of yeast

1 cup warm water

3/4 cup oil

3/4 cup sugar

1 tsp salt

1 cup boiling water

2 large eggs

6 cups unsifted all purpose flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand. Mix oil, sugar, salt, boiling water and eggs until well blended. (add boiling water a little at a time)

Add disolved yeast to mixture. Gradually add flour. Dough will b sticky. Put bowl in fridge and let rise overnite lightly covered. Divide dough into 2 (at least) 13 by 9 pans pat out thin and let rise for 30 minutes.

Goo: (double this)

1 lb powdered sugar, 2 sticks of butter, 2 large eggs, 6 tablespoons Coffeemate, 1 tsp vanilla, 1/2 tsp salt.

Mix butter, eggs, creamer, vanilla, and salt until well blended. Gradually add powdered sugar and blend until smooth.

Spread goo on top of dough and bake at 350 degrees for around 30 minutes. Top will be light brown Do not ove rbake. This is awesome.

Lady Elegant 301's looks to be either the recipe or close to it. I grew up on these coffeecakes, they are delicious and I have never had anything like it since moving from southern IL. I do know that the recipe has margarine, no butter in it.