Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Eddie's Pastries Butter Top Coffee Cake

Attention all citizens and former citizens of Cairo, Illinois. I recently had posted a request for a long-loved Cairo, Illinois recipe from the 60s (or perhaps earlier?). The recipe I am in dire need of is the "original butter top coffee cake" from Eddie's Pastries in Cairo.

In my previous post, I had a kind person offer one recipe and another suggest a St. Louis Gooey Buttercake option. Unfortunately, I have tried every recipe offered on the web and each time my husband tells me it is still not the right recipe.

Also, it is nothing like a Gooey Buttercake or even a coffee cake. It is supposedly a legend of its own. After years of trying to bless my husband with the cake of his childhood, I am pleading with someone from Cairo, Illinois, to please offer the original recipe, and not one already on the web.

After one year of unemployment, my husband's birthday is quickly approaching and this may be the only gift I can offer him. I also know that a lady sells these cakes in Illinois, but I do not live close, nor could I afford such luxury at this time.

I would like to surprise him with "THE" recipe that I can make him each year for his birthday. Please help if you can. After such a hard year, this would be a wonderful gift to a husband whom I dearly love. Thank you so much! I greatly appreciate your help.

By Mom from MO

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By shh0102/01/2014

Lady Elegant 301's looks to be either the recipe or close to it. I grew up on these coffeecakes, they are delicious and I have never had anything like it since moving from southern IL. I do know that the recipe has margarine, no butter in it.

By aliciarn06/07/2011

I am from Southern IL and ate eddies cakes every weekend. This is as close as I can find to the real thing.
Cake ingredients:
2 cakes of yeast
1 cup warm water
3/4 cup oil
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup boiling water
2 large eggs
6 cups unsifted all purpose flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand. Mix oil, sugar, salt, boiling water and eggs until well blended. (add boiling water a little at a time)
Add disolved yeast to mixture. Gradually add flour. Dough will b sticky. Put bowl in fridge and let rise overnite lightly covered. Divide dough into 2 (at least) 13 by 9 pans pat out thin and let rise for 30 minutes.
Goo: (double this)
1 lb powdered sugar, 2 sticks of butter, 2 large eggs, 6 tablespoons Coffeemate, 1 tsp vanilla, 1/2 tsp salt.
Mix butter, eggs, creamer, vanilla, and salt until well blended. Gradually add powdered sugar and blend until smooth.

Spread goo on top of dough and bake at 350 degrees for around 30 minutes. Top will be light brown Do not ove rbake. This is awesome.

By Lady Elegant 30108/11/2010

This comes from my Aunt Mary who was born and raised in Cairo.

1 pkg yeast
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup warm water
2 Tablespoons shortening
1 egg
1/4 sugar
2-3 cups flour

Grease a 9 x 13 pan, can be a little larger
Dissolve yeast in warm water. Heat milk and melt shortening in hot milk. Cool.

Beat egg, add salt and sugar and mix
Add milk mixture. Add yeast and mix.

Add flour a cup at a time or less. After all the flour has been added, scrape the sides of the bowl. Cover with wax paper and let rise for two hours or overnight until doubled.

Place on a floured board and knead 200 strokes; roll dough in pan

Put topping (below) on dough and let rise in warm place.

Bake at 350 degrees on the middle shelf for 15 minutes. Watch carefully, the topping will become medium brown.

Topping:
3/4 cup margarine
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup powdered milk
2 Tablespoons flour
3 eggs

Cream margarine until light and fluffy. Add sugar, as your beating, add eggs one at a time. Add milk, flour, and vanilla. Continue to beat until the topping becomes very light and fluffy. Spread over the dough and let rise.

By bonnie07/24/2010

Found this recipe in my moms cookbook she passed to me.. not sure its the same but its a good one and you make it and set in refrigerator over night it yummy. Hope you find what you are looking for if you do please give me recipe it sounds wonderful!
Ingredients
1/3 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Directions
Lightly grease an 8 inch square baking pan. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, white sugar, and 1/4 cup brown sugar. Beat in the egg until well blended. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Stir the flour mixture into the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Spread evenly into the prepared baking pan.
In a small bowl, mix 1/4 cup brown sugar, walnuts, and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Sprinkle over the batter. Cover, and refrigerate overnight.
The next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bake the cake for 40 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

By Joyce [4]07/24/2010

Herman Starter

1 package active dry yeast
2 C. lukewarm water
2 C. flour

In a large glass jar or crockery pot, dissolve the yeast in
the lukewarm water. If water is too hot it will kill the
yeast. Add flour and beat until smooth. Cover and let set at
room temperature for 48 hours. Makes 2 cups of starter. Use 1
cup to start feeding Herman and find a good house or friend
for the second cup.

Care and feeding of starter: Keep Herman in a large covered
container in the refrigerator. Stir once a day. On the first
and fifth days feed with 1/2 cup sugar, 1 cup milk and 1 cup
flour. On the 10th day use Herman to prepare cake. By that
time Herman will have grown to 4 cups. Use 2 cups for baking,
1 cup of starting another 10-day cycle yourself and 1 cup for
a friend.

Herman Coffeecake

2 C. Herman starter (on left)
1 C. sugar
2/3 C. oil
2 C. flour
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 to 1 1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 to 1 t. nutmeg
1/2 to 1 t. ginger
2 eggs
1/2 to 1 C. nuts
1 C. raisins, dates or apricots

Combine all ingredients and pour into a well-greased and floured 13
x 9-inch baking pan. Top with streusel.

1 T. flour
1/2 to 1 C. brown sugar
1 to 2 T. cinnamon
1/4 to 1/2 C. melted butter
2/3 C. nuts, optional

Mix ingredients and top coffee cake batter in baking pan. Bake 35 to
50 minutes in 350°F. oven.

Glaze:

1/2 C. butter
2/3 to 1 C. brown sugar
1/2 to 1 C. milk

Put ingredients in saucepan and boil for 5 minutes. Pour over baked
coffee cake when it emerges from the oven.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This sounds like the recipe you were asking for. Hope it helps.

By metroplex [81]07/22/2010

Ok, I bet this will help (I hope).
Go to www.hungrybrowser.com
This man has a website that's called something like 'Phaedrus finder of lost recipes' and he found a recipe for a cookie my husband's aunt made, but he only remembered like the shape and what their family called them, plus 1-2 ingredients.

his email is: phaedrus@hungrybrowser.com, but go to the site first because you might find your recipe there already!

Good luck and happy birthday to your husband!

By Lilac [18]07/08/2010

Me again. I think I found it. The original cake has powdered suger on top but this looks like the real thing. I hope it is. Please let me know.
http://www.thehungrymouse.com/2010/02/08/st-louis-gooey-butter-cake/

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Eddie's Pastries Butter Top Coffee Cake

My husband was raised in the area of Cairo, Illinois. There was a bakery there that I believed was named Eddie's Pastries. They had a dessert called "butter top coffee cake" that people still rave about even 40 years later. On the web I have seen what people believe to be THE recipe, but each time my husband declares it is not the same. I have spent years kissing too many frogs trying to make this childhood memory come to pass.

We have experienced the vast unemployment like so many of you and have been unemployed for one year. My husband's birthday is quickly approaching and this may be his only gift. If anyone has what they believe to be THE recipe, please share it. Just any coffee cake or gooey butter cake recipe will not do. I am told they are simply not the same. I would so appreciate any and all help in this matter. If you are the holder of a true original recipe I will be forever grateful, as will my husband. Thanks everyone!

By Mom from USA

RE: Eddie's Pastries Butter Top Coffee Cake

You might already have this recipe. I've never tried it, so I can't offer any advice on any adjustments, etc. Good luck on your search! I know it can be very frustrating when you're looking for that special recipe from long ago. Have a great evening! JB

Butter Top Coffee Cake (From the Cairo Times)

Cake

• 1 package yeast
  • 1 1/4 C warm water
  • 1 C milk
  • 1/4 C shortening
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 C sugar
  • 4 to 5 C flour

Directions:

1. Dissolve yeast in warm water.
  2. Scald milk and melt shortening in hot milk.
  3. Cool and beat the eggs.
  4. Add salt, then sugar and mix.
  5. Add milk/shortening and mix.
  6. Add yeast and mix.
  7. Mix flour into batter 1 cup at a time (use mixer).
  8. After all the flour has been added, scrape sides of bowl, cover, and let rise 2 hours or overnight. When dough has doubled, put on board or floured cloth and knead 200 times.
  9. Divide the dough in half and roll each half to fit pans.
  10. Put dough in greased pans and put topping (see recipe below) on dough, let rise in warm place about 2 hours. Topping should be light and fluffy.
  11. Bake 12 to 15 minutes at 3S0' F on middle shelf. Just bake till top starts to brown slightly, don't overcook.

Eat and die a happy person!

Topping

• 3/4 C butter (better with butter)
  • 1 1/2 C sugar
  • 1/4 C powdered milk
  • 4 eggs
  • 4 tbs flour
  • 2 tsp vanilla

Directions:

1. Cream the butter until light and fluffy.
  2. Add sugar and continue beating.
  3. Add eggs, one at a time.
  4. Add milk, then flour, then vanilla.
  5. Beat it more. (07/08/2010)

By Newfmom

I suspect what you are looking for is the St. Louis "Gooey Butter Cake". In Cairo they probably called it butter top. It is the best cake in the world and I wish I had some now. If they have a Dearburgs (I may have spelled that wrong) in Cairo they might carry it there. Other Dearburgs in Illinois have it. If you can't find a recipe buy the gooey butter. I think he will recognize it. (07/08/2010)

By Ann