Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Help Me Organize My Room

I really need help to organize my room. I keep cleaning it, but it just gets messy again, no matter what. I try to store things but they just make it back out on the floor again.

Thank you,
Alicia, Oregon, 14

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Clever Shirley01/10/2012

Assign everything a place... use items with a space for labels. Labeling space also helps others to know where you want your things and helps to avoid frustration and saves time. Also, when you have designated spaces and put things away then they may last longer than being on the floor and stepped on or broken.

The best part of having a clean room is you won't hesitate to have people over for fun more often. Enjoy!

By Gwyn152102/17/2010

Ummm any ideas I need help too

By (Guest Post)04/27/2008

Everyone, help me. I am having a huge birthday party TODAY and my room is a disaster. I need to keep it clean also. Any help?

By (Guest Post)04/27/2008

Thank you, Alicia. These tips inspired me to clean my room!

By olivia kate (Guest Post)02/18/2008

I need help! Whenever I take something to my room, it mysteriously ends up on the floor. I need a space to put my random things too. I wanna redecorate! Help please! :D

By helper (Guest Post)11/18/2007

i have learned that even if you try these things you don't always have enough time so don't do it all in one night, pick a night/ day to do it and then have someone come and help you do it. Who knows it might be fun!

By Julie [49]10/24/2007

make you a memory board. first get a plan on what color you want it to be. you can match your room already exsisting colors. pick a theme like western. flower power, poka dots etc. only a few craft items are needed like fabric choice, ribbons, foam board the size you want it to be, thumb tacks or push pins. i found a web site that has many ideas to get you started. it should tell everything you need like glue gun etc. walmart sells lots of fabric for $1.00 a yard. you could get about 3 yards of some print you like or that matches your wall colors or the bedspread you already have and add these 3 items to match and give a new inexspensive look. and all you need to sew them up is either a sewing machine, or hand stitch them or even use fabric glue.
1. photo wall memorie board (use some of your fabric to make this) go by the website ideas below)
2. use some of the fabric to make you two throw pillows for your bed. Cut out 2 cirles or 2 squares. You can either fill them with new polyfill which you get from walmart for$3 per bag. Or if you already have pillows on your bed just make new covers for them and slip over like pillowcases with ends left open.
3. use some of the fabric to make you a matching valance for your window. just measure the width of your window and cut fabrics lenght that measure plus high that measurement to give it a fuller look. a basic rectangle shape will work hen around the whole thing once or use fabric glue on hems edge. you can attach it to the rod by using colorful clips like for hair or use a gromit gun and use shower curtain hooks to hang them. even use clothes pins to hang them and paint your clothes pin and hotglue tiny cute objects to them like rings, silk flowers, etc.
a quick way to add a new but cheap priced look. and change it out with fabrics for the season like spring flowers, clouds, rainbow colors, fall leaves, etc.
beaded necklaces are great for adding decore too.
http://lindasivilich.tripod.com/

By ~Renea~ (Guest Post)10/24/2007

I'm 14 to and just like anyone I always go up to my room and throw w/e anywhere there's a spot, I've tried to organize but I have to much stuff that I don't want to throw away! so yeah, if you can help me please say something! :)

By marilyn (Guest Post)09/03/2007

I think the worst thing we all do is to just put things down when we're tired, or when we're ready to do something else. Over the course of a long and (sometimes) disorganized life I've learned that I shouldn't start anything until I've put away what I've been doing.
I use a lot of nice tote bags and baskets as "catchers" so that my rooms don't look messy.
My husband worked, years ago, for a tailor in the Bronx, who taught him to "work clean." He does, and it makes a big difference.
At a minimum, use some decent sized cartons, paint them a nice neutral color, and use them to corral things.
In the bedroom, you really need a clothes hamper!

By laura, age 13 (Guest Post)09/02/2007

The best way to clean your room is to make things very simple for yourself to put away. When you are tired, you tend to just throw things wherever you can to get them out of the way. Try buying some larger shelves that you can use for your clothes in your closet instead of just hanging them up or using drawers. Good luck!

By Misty (Guest Post)05/13/2006

Help! I really want to organize and Re-decorate. I love to make stuff so any ideas to organize or decorate that i can make are like perfact.

thanks,
Misty Rose, 12

By Alicia (Guest Post)02/01/2005

Thanks for the tips it helped alot

By Stella (Guest Post)01/28/2005

A good way to start is to get rid of all that you do not need or like anymore, then donate these things to your local thrift store. Sometimes it is hard to organize when you have too much stuff.

By Reba Gayle Shurden [6]01/28/2005

There is a neat website (www.flylady.net) with tons of advice of how to get organized and stay organized. For example, she says just do a little a one time. When you start to organize, get two big garbage bags and each day put 27 items in one bag to throw away and 27 items in the other bag to donate to charity. When this is done (it may take you several days to do this) then you can "spring clean" your room one good time. Here's the kicker! Once you have spring cleaned, time yourself each day and just work on your room for 5 minutes! YES!! FIVE MINUTES PER DAY! Make sure you time this and really work for 5 minutes then stop. Believe it or not, over a period of time I have organized my ENTIRE house this way! P.S.- I think it's really neat that your 14 and want to get organized! I hope this helps!