Organizing Your Bedroom

Category Bedroom
It can be challenging to keep your bedroom from collecting clutter. This guide is about organizing your bedroom.

I'm looking at a queen bed foot end storage chest. What is the ideal size? Has anyone built one and have ideas? Thanks.

Answers

Best Answer

42" long x 29" high x 18" deep
These measurements can always be adjusted to suit your purpose or availability. Just giving you a place to start.

Best Answer

That will depend on the size of your room. For myself, I would do it just a bit shorter than the bed is lengthwise and about an inch from the mattress.

I really need advice on how to clean my room. I spend almost every weekend cleaning it but I am just not organized enough to keep it clean. If any one has any tips please help.

Danielle from Kent, WA

Answers

By Jo (Guest Post)

I have found the best thing to do is start small. If you have an excess of items that you haven't used in more than 1 week, it's time for it to go. Many charities will take these items in good condition. Then you will have more space to work with.

OH-MY! What a kick! My adult kids live in or near Kent, WA! ...Below is the book that helped me like you wouldn't believe! It's an easy read that's also funny too! There's simple tips about how & where & when to clean, plus info about exactly WHAT kind of "Messy" you are. For example, I love to craft & sew so much I'll go from one project to the next without cleaning up in between, & if you do this for a month straight you don't even know WHERE to BEGIN cleaning

I used to just stare at the mess, not knowing where to start! The author suggests you start by the door then follow around the walls in one direction. She says you always need 3 - 4 empty boxes whenever you clean. One for things that go elsewhere in the house. One for give away & One for throw away. This means you won't be running all around the house each time you need to take something to the kitchen or wherever. This book has changed my life!

THE NEW MESSIES MANUAL: $5
http://www.amaz  ng/dp/0800757262

THE MESSIES MANUAL: about $3 (the original written in the 1980's)
http://www.amaz  ty/dp/0800759796

PS. Instead of cinder block under my bed (which are REALLY heavy) I used a stack of tiles that I taped together w/masking tape. As long as it's sturdy enough to hold your bed up, it'll work to raise your bed for more storage underneath!

Another thing that really has helped me with my little things (like sewing & craft supplies) is, I went to the Fred Meyer in Kent & bought some of their shelving strips that hook to your wall (they also have some free standing wood shelves for super cheep that can be painted)

Then I went to the Dollar Tree in Kent (on the corner where Kent-Kangley meets 240th Street) & bought a bunch of Square Plastic Dish Pans. These I arranged on the shelves to store things in. At "Dollar Tree" I also bought about 8 clear "shoe" boxes for storing smaller items. (they don't sell them at "Everything is $1, the other dollar store)

At the "Big Lots" in downtown Kent (across from K-mart) they sell a single bed for only $99 that comes with 3 drawers under in. Big Lots also have nice (free-standing) shelves for only $39. Big Lots is the best place to buy under bed storage boxes. That's where I bought my ("veggie") stacking Bins (where I keep my tools) I eye-bolted & wired them to the studs in my wall so they wouldn't fall over & they are now stacked to the ceiling full of tools.

---> But Danielle, You really have to make a decision. Do you want to spend 15 minutes a DAY cleaning your room, or a WHOLE DAY on the weekends cleaning it? Me, I usually go for the latter & WISH I'd done the former. <*grin*> GOOD LUCK to you!

By DEBRADJ. (Guest Post)

First I think its great you want to organize and clean thats wonderful! Try getting some storage containers to start with to get your stuff organized. If you have space under the bed get some of the containers that roll under the bed to store stuff. As for cleaning once stuff is organized what I do is try to schedule my cleaning times. When I'm really busy I do a little between appointments or whatever so your not so tired. And frustrated.

By Marna (Guest Post)

Pick up after yourself. If you pick it up, put it away. Handle things only one time; don't put it down and think you'll get to it later. You won't; that's why the room is messy.

In the morning, EVERY MORNING, make your bed and take a two-minute swipe at your bathroom with sanitizing wipes while you're getting dressed. On your way to the kitchen for breakfast, take any dishes or laundry with you.

These four simple steps will go a long way to keeping things neat and inspiring you to further order.

By KLS8800 (Guest Post)

Decide a few things: When is the last time you used or wore an item, can or will you use it again, and (be honest) does it fit? If you have many coats, keep two. One for everyday, and one for dressy occasions. same for shoes. Be selective and ruthless. Just think, if you donate to charity, it can be tax deductable, you give to someone not as fortunate as you, and you feel good. Win-win situation!

Books: Have you read it in the past year? Will you read it in the next six months? If no, donate it.

Bedding: I keep three seperate sheet/bedding sets, one heavy (winter) one lighter (summer) and one just cos I like it. Get those spacebags that you can vacuum out the air...just make sure if you do that route that you know that if you open and close those bags too much, I find that they do not stay airtight, and start to split...for my children (4 and 7), I keep two complete sets of bedding. One on the bed, one in the closet for when I change bedding.

oh, this should have gone with books, but: Magazines. If you buy it every month, subscribe, you'll save money. Then, after you have read the magazine cover to cover, if there is an article you really like, scan it into your computer, then donate it to local doctor or dentist offices or hospital waiting rooms.

As for storage: Don't forget that you can build UP as well as across. Stackable cubes, bins, etc. but one of the best things for keeping things neat: get in the habit of putting it away right when done using it...don't fall into the 'I'll do it later' routine. Also, before you go to bed, give your room a once over. Any dirty laundry that needs to be put in the hamper or clean that needs to be put away? Desk clear? Everything picked up from the floor?

Trust me, it may seem like it may take forever, but it won't, work steady, thoroughly and methodically. Slow and steady wins the race. If you are not sure, most likely you can get rid of it with very little exception.

Watch HGTV for those organising shows, as they often give inexpensive, creative and very cute ideas. Then watch 'How Clean Is Your House?' (check local listings) or Clean Sweep (again, check local listings) and see how bad it can really get, if you do not get ahold of it now.

Good Luck

I really need help to organize my room. I keep cleaning it, but it just gets messy again, no matter what. I try to store things but they just make it back out on the floor again.

Thank you,
Alicia, Oregon, 14

Answers

There is a neat website (www.flylady.net) with tons of advice of how to get organized and stay organized. For example, she says just do a little a one time. When you start to organize, get two big garbage bags and each day put 27 items in one bag to throw away and 27 items in the other bag to donate to charity. When this is done (it may take you several days to do this) then you can "spring clean" your room one good time. Here's the kicker! Once you have spring cleaned, time yourself each day and just work on your room for 5 minutes! YES!! FIVE MINUTES PER DAY! Make sure you time this and really work for 5 minutes then stop. Believe it or not, over a period of time I have organized my ENTIRE house this way! P.S.- I think it's really neat that your 14 and want to get organized! I hope this helps!

By Stella (Guest Post)

A good way to start is to get rid of all that you do not need or like anymore, then donate these things to your local thrift store. Sometimes it is hard to organize when you have too much stuff.

By Alicia (Guest Post)

Thanks for the tips it helped alot

By Misty (Guest Post)

Help! I really want to organize and Re-decorate. I love to make stuff so any ideas to organize or decorate that i can make are like perfact.

thanks,
Misty Rose, 12

By laura, age 13 (Guest Post)

The best way to clean your room is to make things very simple for yourself to put away. When you are tired, you tend to just throw things wherever you can to get them out of the way. Try buying some larger shelves that you can use for your clothes in your closet instead of just hanging them up or using drawers. Good luck!

By marilyn (Guest Post)

I think the worst thing we all do is to just put things down when we're tired, or when we're ready to do something else. Over the course of a long and (sometimes) disorganized life I've learned that I shouldn't start anything until I've put away what I've been doing.
I use a lot of nice tote bags and baskets as "catchers" so that my rooms don't look messy.
My husband worked, years ago, for a tailor in the Bronx, who taught him to "work clean." He does, and it makes a big difference.
At a minimum, use some decent sized cartons, paint them a nice neutral color, and use them to corral things.
In the bedroom, you really need a clothes hamper!

By ~Renea~ (Guest Post)

I'm 14 to and just like anyone I always go up to my room and throw w/e anywhere there's a spot, I've tried to organize but I have to much stuff that I don't want to throw away! so yeah, if you can help me please say something! :)

make you a memory board. first get a plan on what color you want it to be. you can match your room already exsisting colors. pick a theme like western. flower power, poka dots etc. only a few craft items are needed like fabric choice, ribbons, foam board the size you want it to be, thumb tacks or push pins. i found a web site that has many ideas to get you started. it should tell everything you need like glue gun etc. walmart sells lots of fabric for $1.00 a yard. you could get about 3 yards of some print you like or that matches your wall colors or the bedspread you already have and add these 3 items to match and give a new inexspensive look. and all you need to sew them up is either a sewing machine, or hand stitch them or even use fabric glue.
1. photo wall memorie board (use some of your fabric to make this) go by the website ideas below)
2. use some of the fabric to make you two throw pillows for your bed. Cut out 2 cirles or 2 squares. You can either fill them with new polyfill which you get from walmart for$3 per bag. Or if you already have pillows on your bed just make new covers for them and slip over like pillowcases with ends left open.
3. use some of the fabric to make you a matching valance for your window. just measure the width of your window and cut fabrics lenght that measure plus high that measurement to give it a fuller look. a basic rectangle shape will work hen around the whole thing once or use fabric glue on hems edge. you can attach it to the rod by using colorful clips like for hair or use a gromit gun and use shower curtain hooks to hang them. even use clothes pins to hang them and paint your clothes pin and hotglue tiny cute objects to them like rings, silk flowers, etc.
a quick way to add a new but cheap priced look. and change it out with fabrics for the season like spring flowers, clouds, rainbow colors, fall leaves, etc.
beaded necklaces are great for adding decore too.
http://lindasivilich.tripod.com/

By helper (Guest Post)

i have learned that even if you try these things you don't always have enough time so don't do it all in one night, pick a night/ day to do it and then have someone come and help you do it. Who knows it might be fun!

By olivia kate (Guest Post)

I need help! Whenever I take something to my room, it mysteriously ends up on the floor. I need a space to put my random things too. I wanna redecorate! Help please! :D

My 13 year old daughter has a medium sized bedroom and a queen bed. My mom bought her a bedroom set which includes the dresser/mirror and 1 nightable and a new mattress (queen) and I don't know how to organize it. My daughter is thinking of putting all her clothes into the drawers and putting shelves and a small chair in her closet. Can someone please help? Her comforter is black and white. Also she wants it cute and girly.

Thanks.

By Keila

I have no clue how to do my room. My mom says I have to clean my room and organize it tomorrow while she's at work. I share a room with my sister and have a small room with lots of furniture with more coming.

I have 2 closets one for me and one for her and 2 dressers one for me one for her. I have a twin sized bunk bed, a desk that is long, a chest, a laundry basket, mirror, and a sewing desk with a sewing machine and a lot of fabric. I also have a bunny and lots of crafts that need somewhere to go.
Please help.

By Kaylin

I try doing everything I can to make my room organized and still look cool. I have a double sized bed, a stool, art supplies in desk drawer and a little desk. How can I organize this room?

By sweetie123

My room is an absolute disaster and its only a 12' by 12' room. Things I have: a queen bed, a six drawer dresser, a large corner desk, a small 3' by 3' closet and, a floor lamp. I currently have everything under my bed and in my closet. I need to organize and we can't go out and buy anything.

By erin

A bedside pouch, easily made from a towel or yard of fabric, that fits between mattress and box spring helps keep clutter off night stands.

By Linda

If you live in a small home and need more space to store your crafts, yarn, and scrapbook supplies, think of buying an Under Bedskirt Shoe Organizer. They don't take up any extra room, come in all bed sizes, fit right under your regular bedskirt and, YES, all you gals with a shoe-fetish, you can even store shoes in them!

Here's a picture and more info:

Source: I found out about these wonderful little space savers through their TV commercial.

By CDR from near Seattle

Teens are notorious for having messy bedrooms. Read on for some idea on how to organize your teen bedroom.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

There are a number of thrifty ways to make your bedroom your own and a showcase of your favorite colors and things. This is a guide about cute and fun ways to organize your room.

Sometimes, kids and adults need to share a room which might mean the room needs to be laid out differently than if it was just for one or the other. Organizing a bedroom shared by adults and children takes a little extra planning.

If you have a messy husband, it can be very difficult to keep the bedroom clean. Here are some ideas about organizing a bedroom with a messy husband.

This is a guide about organizing a small bedroom. Organizing a small bedroom can be a challenge, due to the lack of sufficient storage space and other concerns.

I have a very small bedroom and am in desperate need of ideas. Does anyone have any for me?

By Lena from Portland, ME

Answers:

Organizing My Bedroom

The basic theory here is you need to go "up" to make more room. If you haven't filled up yet on furniture you can get a wardrobe with drawers in the lower half and room to hang in the upper half.

You can get a hanging shoe rack: it has a hanger top and many pouches normally for shoes, but you can use the pouches for many things. Hang it on the back of your door or in the closet if you put stuff in it you don't readily need.

If you have a head or foot board on your bed devise pouches to hang on those for room.

Of course under the bed is space to use, but it helps if you can organize it. That shoe storage box they advertise on TV is really ideal and again you don't have to put shoes in it. Ask for one for Christmas.

Good luck. (11/24/2009)

By Suntydt

Organizing My Bedroom

Floor to ceiling book cases are the way to go. You have to build them, but the lumber yard will cut them to the size you want. If you stabilize them to the wall with a bracket they can be taken apart and moved with you. You can place plastic boxes on them and you won't believe the amount of storage space you have on the top shelves and the usable space you have on the lower shelves. (11/28/2009)

By Lilac

Organizing My Bedroom

If you can, put shelves around the entire room about 18 inches from the ceiling. You can put things up there that decorate, but aren't needed below eye level. Good luck. (11/28/2009)

By Sandi/Poor But Proud

I rent a small bedroom and I go nuts trying to find anything like hair stuff, a measuring tape, trinkets, etc. It seems like my stuff is everywhere since I put things away on impulse then forget where I put them. I need help grouping miscellaneous stuff and how or where to store it. I want my room to look nice.

Loni from Albuquerque, NM

Answers:

Organizing My Bedroom

People have a tendency to cover the floors of a room and forget the walls have lots of storage area. I suggest you buy an inexpensive particle board shelving unit you can take with you when you move. This unit can be used to store folded clothing or anything you like. If you want to store small items like hair barrettes, etc, use plastic shoe boxes from the dollar store. You can label them as to what's inside, or just see through the plastic. Best of luck. (07/31/2006)

By Carol in PA

Organizing My Bedroom

I use an old Christmas tin to put hair things in, another to put stuff like nail clippers, tweezers, etc. I also bought some of those little plastic baskets from the dollar store and keep make-up, medicines, pens, pencils, and paper in them. (08/01/2006)

By christi

Organizing My Bedroom

I have a similar problem with a closet in my bathroom. To organize cosmetics, toiletries, nail polish lipsticks etc., I have collected an array of small straw and wire baskets. I put alike things in each basket and have gotten used to putting things back in the correct basket after use. This makes getting ready for work each morning so much easier. I rarely spend any time searching for anything; I can go right to the correct basket. You could do the same in your closet, in dresser drawers, or on shelves. Keeps things looking neat and orderly. (08/01/2006)

By Claudia-MD

Organizing My Bedroom

The stackable plastic drawer units are nice. We have this one thing we keep in the bathroom, it has 3 small drawers and my daughter keeps her hair accessories in it. You could also use baskets that you can see what's inside, or those clear plastic shoe boxes with lids are nice and you can stack them. (08/01/2006)

By Debbie Dzurilla

Organizing My Bedroom

Those are all great and workable ideas. You might also try this for a neat and tidy "open space" room. Purchase one of those inexpensive clear vinyl shoe holders that can hang on the back of your bedroom door; there are 20 or so clear "pockets" that really don't hold up well to storing shoes, but are superb at sorting socks/nylons, hair pieces and barrettes, (don't put a hot curling iron in!), brushes, make up, even the tape measure/sewing kits, nail care items, etc. And the best part is when your door is open, your dresser/furniture tops can be less cluttered and all your items are tucked safely behind the door! (08/01/2006)

By Sandra

Organizing My Bedroom

In my room I put cheap black wire shelving in with baskets and patterned boxes from the dollar store, Wal-mart, etc. I think it looks really nice for low dollars. I keep a master list of what's in each box or basket. Or you could label the containers directly. (08/05/2006)

By Rebecca Dunham

Organizing My Bedroom

Well, being a frugal queen sometimes, I actually learned that when someone tosses an old dishwasher, which happens frequently in our city, I grab the utensil basket from each one, which is usually either white or blue/green, and each one usually comes with a handle, all for free. These hold separate items well, frequently match in size, shape
and color, are almost always very clean and unstained, are sturdier than dollar store plastics, and can fit most any shelf.

Drawback is that they are not out of sight or covered from dust. However, they're VERY easy to keep clean, keep things dry, and I'm in most of them often and it doesn't matter too much. I place them on wire stacking shelves when I find those ALSO being tossed by wasteful folks. Secret: Simplify, don't keep accumulating more than you REALLY need. I use them in every area of my home for everything from gardening tools, glue bottles, bath items, under sink storage, garage for string, odd shaped small items, paint brushes and crafts. This is the best way I know to recycle them and prevent the good items from being destroyed unnecessarily in the city dump. Hope this helps. Good luck and God bless. (08/13/2006)

By Lynda

Organizing My Bedroom

Lynda, what an idea, never thought of that. I have seen dishwashers at the curb quite a bit. One day in fact, I stopped and took a bottom rack from one, just to come home and be disappointed that it didn't fit my dishwasher but it was worth a chance. Mine had areas that had rusted. I would think that the utensil caddies would be good for pens, pencils, kid's crayons, art supplies perhaps, paint brushes. I'm not exactly sure, but I could probably put some to good use and will definitely pay attention on trash day in the future.

I really don't want to accumulate more "junk" in my already crowded house, but if it's something I can really put to good use, then I'm all for it! (08/29/2006)

By Debbie Dzurilla

Organizing My Bedroom

Save up toilet paper cardboard rolls to stuff pantyhose in them. It keeps them organized and you can tell what color they are right off. Especially helps with the socks that you can never find a pair of. (07/10/2007)

Organizing My Bedroom

I buy hat boxes at thrift stores and stack them, good for little things you have no places for. Also suitcases, I have some old vintage suitcases to store things in and just stack them. For my socks and etc. I have small tins that I picked up at the dollar store and put them on my shelf in my closet. Baskets work great for hair dryers, curling irons etc. (03/28/2008)

By Lindsay

Load More