Landscaping for Seasonal Color

I have just bought a new house with no landscaping. I would like some tips on planting some flowers and trees. I would like some colorful things throughout the seasons. Any ideas appreciated.

By Walt from Irvine, KY

Make a raised bed around the mail box,put down plastic or several layers of news paper,you can then put down brick or make a frame with post. Fill it with composted manure,you are ready to plant flower seed or bulbs. I have some day lilys & all kind of flower bulbs in mine & a morning glory vine. It grows up around the mail box. I keep it trimmed.bI did the same near the house with bricks,the plastic or paper keep weeds from growing in flower beds. we have some dogwood trees in the front yard. I planted azaleas around them. For the back yard we planted fruit trees & a grape vine & a raised bed for my veggie garden. We used cement blocks around the garden,it's 20 x 30 ft. I planted morning glories on our patio & fence. I have a blooming fence & patio all spring & summer. It is so pretty. I share flowers & veggies with friends & neighbors. Hope this helps you, good luck.

I live in a government house which I rent. I have planted Diosma"s you can get dwarf or the larger ones. They are pretty in the season most have pink, mauve or white flowers on them. I have them planted around my house and they are hardy, you don't need a lot of water. I have one planted around my letter box and a border of rocks. In the backyard I have 4 poles put up about 6 ft apart with wire on and have a lovely bell creeper growing on it.