Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Dawn Dishsoap For Fleas

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
dawn for fleas

Many pet owners use or consider using Dawn dishsoap as an inexpensive shampoo for fleas. This is a guide about using Dawn dish soap for fleas.

Solutions: Dawn Dishsoap For Fleas

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Bathe Pets With Dawn to Kill Fleas

Bathe Pets With Dawn to Kill FleasOur kittens had fleas. There were only 10 weeks old and the spray I had was for 12 weeks and older so I knew I couldn't use it on them. I called the veterinarian near us and they said to use Dawn dish soap to bathe them in. I had 2 small wash tubs. One filled with Dawn and warm water and the other warm water to rinse them in. They didn't seem to mind it at all. Then I went over there bodies with a soft brush to get the feces from the fleas and the dried blood by their ears washed off. The kittens are white so it was easy to see the fleas. I tried to pick the dead fleas off their skin. Then I patted them with a towel. This worked very well. The fleas seems to die instantly.

Source: My local vet.

By little suzy from Millbury, OH

Tip: Dawn Suffocates Insects

Just thought I'd share this here. During a summer camp hosted by a college, one of the science professors shared a cool lesson with us. They showed us how to create a safe wasp killer. As you know, commercial wasp killer are so poisonous.

He diluted about two tablespoons of Dawn dish soap in a cleaner bottle full of water, shook it, and then we waited for the bubbles to clear. He sprayed it on some wasps, and slowly they died. Other soaps worked, but not quite like Dawn. He said the Dawn creates a very strong film which coats the simple breathing holes of insects and they then, unless there's a source of warm running water, die of suffocation.

Perhaps this is why Dawn makes an effective flea bath. It's not the water rinsing them away, it's the Dawn suffocating them. Fleas are an insect.

By

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Dawn Dishsoap For Fleas.

Question: Dawn Dishsoap For Fleas

How do I use Dawn on fleas?

By Barbra from Calistoga, CA

Most Recent Answer

By luvmypug67408/31/2011

Hi Hey You,

I found this post while looking for instructions on how to use dawn on your dog to kill fleas. I called my vet about a sudden onset of fleas, late in the year, and he advised me to try dawn.

I have found very mixed results about whether to use it or not, but being as my vet recommended it, I feel that it is probably safe, if used in a pinch and not really often (no more than once every 2 months since it will strip the oils that dogs need on their skin).

What got my attention in your post was how you said to never use baby shampoo on your pet. I own a pug who is very prone to hot spots and dry skin. I tried about a dozen different pet shampoos that advertised they were good for dry skin and hot spots, and my poor buddy got no relief.

I asked my vet and he suggested to try baby shampoo. I invested in a bottle of Johnson's baby shampoo for hair and body, and it has been a life saver. He no longer has the dry, flaky skin, and hasn't had a hot spot in over a year now.

I bathe him with it about once a month, and not only does it cure the dry skin, but it also gives him a soft, healthy looking coat, and keeps him smelling nice almost all month. It has been an absolute lifesaver for me and my little man.

I am not sure why your vet, or the vets at these conventions, say that you should not use it, because mine did tell me to, and it is great. I'll never use a different shampoo on him. I guess vets are just like doctors; none of them agree on everything.

Question: Using Ultra Dawn on a Puppy for Fleas

Can I use Ultra Dawn on my 10 week old puppy? I can't seem to control the fleas. I have sprayed my rugs, etc. Is Ultra Dawn OK? It is all that I have.

By Becky

Question: Getting Rid of Fleas Inside

Can I mix Dawn and water and do the inside of my house using a garden sprayer?

By Bosco

Most Recent Answer

By Mary Nelson [3]11/10/2013

I think it would kill the fleas, but you would end up with a really big mess. That soap is difficult to remove, and it would get sticky then attract dirt. If you could find a way to spray it around then remove it, it might work.

Question: Using Dawn for Fleas

I see how Dawn can work, it also takes the oil off of flea's larva. But my question is, will using Dawn deplete my dog's natural oils that his coat needs.

By Steve

Question: Getting Rid of Fleas on Cats

We have used two kinds of flea chemicals on our cats over a 2 week period, but they still have some. They are not scratching much now, but they are licking. I have stripped my bed twice now, but I am still seeing the fleas. How do I use Dawn to get rid of the fleas?
Please help us.

By Gwendolyn S.

Question: Fleas on a Puppy

I bathed my new 6 week old puppy in Dawn because I heard how well it worked, but all the fleas ran to her nose. What can I do?

By Sandra D.

Most Recent Answer

By Echo M.11/06/2013

When you bath your puppy or dog always start as far forward towards the head as you can. You can start the bath by just doing around the ears, back of the pup's head and then the neck without putting the pup in water. What I do is mix water and dawn in a measuring cup and then soap up around the ears and neck area before putting them in any other water.

As soon as you put the animal in water the fleas will run for "high ground" which is the head. After getting the neck area soaped I then do the rest of the body making sure that they are fully wet and completely soaped up. Scrub and leave soap on for at least 4 to 5 minutes, then rinse.

Question: Dawn Dishwashing Soap For Fleas

I know I can use it to give my dog a bath, but would it be effective at all as a spray as well?

By Elizabeth

Most Recent Answer

By Ce [4]07/25/2013

I would not use Dawn dish soap as a spray for fleas. What I use as a spray to kill fleas is original Skin So Soft bath oil from Avon. You do have to mix it with five (5) parts water to one (1) part SSS. Kills fleas on contact.

Question: Using Dawn Dishsoap for Fleas on Dogs

I've found, on the internet that Dawn dishsoap is a good remedy for fleas. However, I am wondering how often should I bathe my puppy Mahina, with it per week. I don't want to bathe her all the time because I've heard that bathing her a lot is actually bad for her and what about the eggs? Does it help get rid of them as well?

By C.S. from MAUI

Most Recent Answer

By Ce [4]07/08/2013

I have bathe my two girls every week to two weeks with no problems. I even used it on myself to shampoo my hair before I used it on my girls. This stuff is gentle and the hair comes squeaky clean. It does kill the fleas. Good product.

Question: Using Dawn for Fleas on Dogs

How long does it take for Dawn dish soap to kill dog fleas?

By Angie

Most Recent Answer

By Ce [4]06/24/2013

I use Dawn full strength on my two girls. The fleas start dying as you are shampooing your dog. Remember to always start with the neck so the fleas don't escape to the ears and nose. If you can keep the lather on your dog for 5 minutes the better. Keep the soap away from the face. I have bathe my dogs once a week to be sure there are no survivors. The soap is very gentle and works great.

Question: Dawn Soap for Fleas

What is the amount of Dawn liquid soap I should use on my dog to kill fleas?

By Helen from Acworth, GA

Question: Bathing a Dog with Dawn for Fleas

What is the amount of the mixture of Dawn and water?

By Bert

Most Recent Answer

By vicki hood [4]09/07/2011

I never bothered diluting at all. If you wish, half and half should be OK. Get 2 to 2 and a half cups dry Borax into each average size carpeted room. Leave for 2 weeks for life cycle. Vacuum. For the yard use natural, inexpensive Cedercide granules. 5 pounds lasts more than a year.

Question: Using Dawn to Get Rid of Fleas

I have heard of using Dawn blue dish detergent for fleas. What do I do, and does it work fast for relief? My Chihuahua was given Capstar yesterday, and it made him worse. Please help.

By Josie M

Most Recent Answer

By luvmypug67408/31/2011

Josie M,
Here is the website I found that gave specific instructions on how best to use dawn on your pet to kill fleas. Just be sure to only use it sparingly, and in a pinch, so you do not strip your pet of essential oils in his or her coat. Good Luck!

http://www.ehow.com/how_5942142_use-dawn-fleas-dogs.html

Question: Dawn Dish Soap for Fleas on Dogs

Can I use Dawn dish soap to get rid of fleas on my dog?

By Connie

Most Recent Answer

By gbk [45]06/20/2011

Mix a little vinegar in it and it is better and this was on a post on here a couple of weeks ago and it works better and faster and none of the critters live.

Question: Is Dawn Dish Soap Safe for Bathing Cats?

Can I use Dawn dish soap on my cat? He is an 8 year old tuxedo.

By Debra from Parmus, NJ

Most Recent Answer

By Sandra Bridgeman [12]01/22/2011

I'm certain this would be perfectly safe. During the oil crisis in the Gulf, the original blue Dawn was used to clean all the poor animals that were full of the sludge water. Our vet for our shih tzu recommended the original Dawn to bathe her in. She was allergic to all the flea/tic removal products. It worked out very well.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Which Type of Dawn?

I read the thread about using Dawn for washing the dogs to get rid of fleas. This is kind of a silly question but does it matter which kind of Dawn you use. I have the antibacterial apple. Is this ok?

maddiva

Answers:

RE: Which Type of Dawn?

Hey, I have a dog too. I don't usually use soap much because it can irritate the skin on dogs. Don't use anything too harsh, because it can take away there natural body oils. I suggest getting a medication for him, or talking to a vet before using Dawn on him at all.

By Em

RE: Which Type of Dawn?

When we were trying to deflea kittens too young for Advantage, the vet told us to use regular Dawn, not the antibacterial kind or other scent, just the regular blue Dawn. I don't know what the difference is, but she did specify that it be the original one, not the antibacterial kind. Unfortunately, until they were old enough for us to use Advantage, nothing got rid of the fleas completely. However, it did cut down some on the population :0)

By Rebecca

RE: Which Type of Dawn?

Lemon Dawn is what you should use.I have several dogs and use it all the time. You should only bath them once a month

By bluetopazsue

RE: Which Type of Dawn?

It would be better for the dog if you bathed him/her with dog shampoo and then spritzed with peppermint or lavender oil, which help repel fleas and ticks.

By Peggy Z

RE: Which Type of Dawn?

I use Advantage as my dogs cannot take harsh drying soap.

Do NOT use Hartz anything. The EPA has ordered them to stop producing the product as it has killed so many companion pets.

http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/factsheets/hartzq_a.htm

http://www.geocities.com/boycotthartz/

Jennifer in Northern Virginia

RE: Which Type of Dawn?

I gave, and still give, my dog the soft gel garlic pills daily. She thinks they are a treat and we have never seen another flea.

By JEN

Archive: Dawn Dishsoap For Fleas

If fleas are a problem for your pet, wash them with Dawn dishwashing soap. It kills them instantly. Leaving a small nightlight on during the night will draw fleas. Just put a small bowl of Dawn under the light and they will jump in. By Brenda from Cleveland, OH

RE: Dawn Dishsoap For Fleas

HARTZ made my pets very sick! I have used the Dawn with good results. Good luck with your invaders. Liz (01/17/2007)

By Ole Lulu

RE: Dawn Dishsoap For Fleas

The Dawn might get rid of some of the adult fleas, but it won't do anything for the eggs that they have left behind. You should consult your vet before using anything on your pets other than what the vet recommends. I will stick to Frontline or Advantage for my dogs. (01/17/2007)

By Robin

RE: Dawn Dishsoap For Fleas

Robin, I agree with you 100%, "self treatment" can be dangerous to a pet. My two are indoor dogs yet I have them on Advantage all year and they've never had a flea, nor have they brought any into the home so my indoor kitties remain flea free also. Jennifer Northern Virginia (01/17/2007)

By ILuvDobes

RE: Dawn Dishsoap For Fleas

Always use the blue kind I think its called orignal. How many of the sea life and birds has Dawn soap saved? The numbers are very high. The dawn soap is safe unless your animal has severe allergies to any kind of soap. (01/17/2007)

By lazidd

RE: Dawn Dishsoap For Fleas

I like using the most safe form, and have used Dawn for flea removal. I would never use Frontline or any of those types of products again. My cat almost died when he was treated with it. It can cause severe nerve damage and death. (01/17/2007)

By #1Karen

RE: Dawn Dishsoap For Fleas

Hi Karen, what a nightmare you went through. I'm so sorry. The only "flea preventative" I have heard of, that killed pets was made by Hartz Mountain. My kitties are not treated as they are strictly indoors and have have never had a problem with fleas. My dobies have not had a problem whatsoever with Frontline or Advantage. Jennifer Northern Virginia (01/17/2007)

By ILuvDobes

RE: Dawn Dishsoap For Fleas

This is the best way. They started jumping right off so I used it in my steam cleaner two weeks later no visitors yet so all the non believers try it. I thought it was silly too but it worked and only cost $2.50. So support Frontline if you want but dawn helps animals. Frontline tests on animals. So do what you want (09/19/2007)

By chris

RE: Dawn Dishsoap For Fleas

Does anyone know what to use for the eggs & pupae that you can't kill from chemicals? I just got a 5 week old kitten that has some fleas & I'm trying to prevent infestation. (10/28/2007)

By ANNA

Archive: Dawn Dishsoap For Fleas

Does dawn dish soap really work on dogs that stay outside all the time? What is the best thing to use on my yard because the fleas have been bad here and Sevin Dust did not work.

Archive: Dawn Dishsoap For Fleas

I read that you can give your pet a bath in original Dawn soap to kill fleas. I just did it right now and a lot fell off.

Archive: Dawn Dishsoap For Fleas

Does Antibacterial Dawn dish soap kill fleas?

By hxena

RE: Dawn Dishsoap For Fleas

Yes. Add about 4 drops to your anima'ls bath water when water is at full level. When you're done bathing your pet you will see the dead critters in the water. (07/21/2009)

By nightrain71

RE: Dawn Dish soap For Fleas

When I lived in Florida the vet there said that any detergent or shampoo would kill fleas on the pet. The secret he shared is that these have to be left on and sudsy for at least 10 minutes. He also said to put a tiny bit of garlic powder in the water. I know that some vets advise against garlic, but it never harmed our Little Bit and she is now 17 1/2 years old. (07/22/2009)

By lavonneann

RE: Dawn Dishsoap For Fleas

I think this might work, but for a dollar you can get flea soap. The thing is, fleas drown in water, so maybe anything works. Raw onion (including all types-wild, garlic, etc.) is toxic when ingested by dogs, but I have never heard that application is bad. (07/22/2009)

By damaged05170