Browsing: Dawn Dishsoap For Fleas

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Dawn Dishsoap For Fleas

Many pet owners use or consider using Dawn dishsoap as an inexpensive shampoo for fleas. This is a guide about using Dawn dish soap for fleas.

dawn for fleas
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 2, 2010 Flag

Bathe Pets With Dawn to Kill FleasOur kittens had fleas. There were only 10 weeks old and the spray I had was for 12 weeks and older so I knew I couldn't use it on them. I called the veterinarian near us and they said to use Dawn dish soap to bathe them in. I had 2 small wash tubs. One filled with Dawn and warm water and the other warm water to rinse them in. They didn't seem to mind it at all. Then I went over there bodies with a soft brush to get the feces from the fleas and the dried blood by their ears washed off. The kittens are white so it was easy to see the fleas. I tried to pick the dead fleas off their skin. Then I patted them with a towel. This worked very well. The fleas seems to die instantly.

Source: My local vet.

By little suzy from Millbury, OH

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 9, 2011 Flag

Why buy expensive dog shampoos at PetSmart to bathe your dog? My vet suggested I use any baby shampoo, so now I buy $1.00 generic baby shampoos at the Dollar Store and I have a dog that smells as good as a freshly bathed baby for a fraction of the cost.

By cipi2000 from Miami, FL

October 8, 2013 Flag

Just thought I'd share this here. During a summer camp hosted by a college, one of the science professors shared a cool lesson with us. They showed us how to create a safe wasp killer. As you know, commercial wasp killer are so poisonous.

He diluted about two tablespoons of Dawn dish soap in a cleaner bottle full of water, shook it, and then we waited for the bubbles to clear. He sprayed it on some wasps, and slowly they died. Other soaps worked, but not quite like Dawn. He said the Dawn creates a very strong film which coats the simple breathing holes of insects and they then, unless there's a source of warm running water, die of suffocation.

Perhaps this is why Dawn makes an effective flea bath. It's not the water rinsing them away, it's the Dawn suffocating them. Fleas are an insect.

August 28, 2014 Flag

How much Dawn soap do I use to put on my carpets? And does it work and how often can I use it?

By Joyce M. from Pittsburgh

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Linda is right. Salt is the best. Now, here is where any dish washing liquid comes in handy.

Fleas love warm climates so they will hop into a pie plate of water sitting under a night light or desk lamp. With a few drops of DWL to break up the surface adhesion they will jump in and drown.

I hope this helps too!

Sandi/PBP

Read More Answers...

November 7, 2010 Flag

How do I use Dawn on fleas?

By Barbra from Calistoga, CA

Misty37723

I have had a yorkie puppy for all of two weeks and trust me I know how tight money can be these days. Anyways age came with a one fleas so I have a toddler and that was not going to work I decided to just try using some dawn and a small amount of baby bath amazingly it works. Later that night as she got her brushing I was brushing dead fleas off I immediately took her and washed the off of her with dawn again just to remove the dead and she was just fine. Dawn really did the job!

Read More Answers...

February 4, 2015 Flag

Can I use normal dishwashing detergent to get rid of the fleas on my kitten instead of using Dawn detergent?

By l.t

After reading this site today I tried dawn dish soap and I was astounded how well it worked. The fleas died within moments of contact with the soap. I first applied the soap water around her evey, nose and neck to prevent the fleas from trying to escape to those sensitive areas. I then lathered the rest of her, waited about 7 minutes, then rinsed well. I was worried the fleas were really just stunned as opposed to dead so while removing them I left some in a disposable cup. Three hours later they're definitely dead. Her coat appears cleaner than normal and the dish soap leave a much more pleasant smell than any flea shampoo I've ever used. I'll never buy flea shampoo again.

Read More Answers...

October 27, 2014 Flag

I found it easiest to put 1/4 cup of original blue Dawn and fill the kitchen sink. Do the forehead, under the chin, and cheeks first. Try your best not to get it in the eyes, nose, mouth or ears.

February 17, 2015 Flag

tabby cat lying next to red Christmas tree decorationI have Dawn Ultra. It is not the normal Dawn so I'm worried if what they added to the Ultra Dawn is unsafe for cats.

By Maya W.

Dawn or Joy necessary or any non-detergent dish soap? Palmolive is great for our hands, so? Putting dishwashing liquid in watering water works great for plants...even in yard.

Read More Answers...

January 18, 2015 Flag

We bought an 8 week old Malipoo and she has fleas and eggs, because every time we kill them and then check her again she will have baby fleas. Will Dawn dishsoap kill the eggs too?

By Carole

Will any type dish washing liquid work with vinegar?

Read More Answers...

April 2, 2015 Flag

Dawn Dishwashing Soap is a very effective way of ridding your dogs and cats. Don't ask me why, but if you wash them with it, and leave it on for 5 minutes, when you rinse them the fleas will just fall off.

October 27, 2014 Flag

I have 2 nine year old inside only cats that have attracted fleas from somewhere. I have given both baths with an organic oatmeal and vinegar based flea shampoo for cats, but they still have fleas. My vet suggested that I make a mixture of apple cider vinegar, Dawn, and water, and bathe both kitties and then add to sprayer and spray entire house, carpet, and furniture to end my flea problem. Has anyone ever tried this and if so how much of each and did it work?

By Barbara A

Yeah you can buy Wal-Mart drops, if you want to use toxic poison in your house! There are many reasons to NOT use those drops!

If you have small children that will be touching the animals often, no!

If you have a herding breed that might have the genetic disposition for being deathly sensitive to normal doses of things, no!

If you have someone in the house chemically allergic or sensitive, no!

If you've ever watched Chemerical, you definitely know, no!

I'm even cautious to use Dawn! Why? Because I know those chemical warnings are no joke!

Read More Answers...

January 17, 2015 Flag

Does it dry out their skin because my dog has very dry skin?

By Tina

Dawn removes oil and grease from dishes and it will also remove oil from a dog's body. So do not use Dawn on your dog. If you want to kill fleas and prevent future problems, check with your vet on what to use to avoid dry skin problems for your dog.

November 9, 2013 Flag

Can I mix Dawn and water and do the inside of my house using a garden sprayer?

By Bosco

Baking soda...on carpets ....smoothers the little suckers

Read More Answers...

June 17, 2011 Flag

Can I use Dawn dish soap to get rid of fleas on my dog?

By Connie

Thank you so much!! Getting ready to give it a try!!

Read More Answers...

September 3, 2013 Flag

I bathed my new 6 week old puppy in Dawn because I heard how well it worked, but all the fleas ran to her nose. What can I do?

By Sandra D.

When you bath your puppy or dog always start as far forward towards the head as you can. You can start the bath by just doing around the ears, back of the pup's head and then the neck without putting the pup in water. What I do is mix water and dawn in a measuring cup and then soap up around the ears and neck area before putting them in any other water.

As soon as you put the animal in water the fleas will run for "high ground" which is the head. After getting the neck area soaped I then do the rest of the body making sure that they are fully wet and completely soaped up. Scrub and leave soap on for at least 4 to 5 minutes, then rinse.

Read More Answers...

October 10, 2014 Flag

How often can you wash your dog using Dawn soap for fleas? daily? weekly? etc. Thanks!

By T.N.

You and your dog will get sick of a bath daily. Weekly too. You are depending on the dawn for the fleas death. It's not what kills them, it's the water. So, here is what works.

Put a pie tin of water under a night light or lamp to keep it warm. Drop a couple drops of any dish washing liquid in to break up the surface adhesion in the water. They jump in and drown.

Give your dog Brewer's yeast tablets available at most stores. This makes their blood undesirable to the fleas and they go elsewhere.

January 20, 2011 Flag

Can I use Dawn dish soap on my cat? He is an 8 year old tuxedo.

By Debra from Parmus, NJ

I'm certain this would be perfectly safe. During the oil crisis in the Gulf, the original blue Dawn was used to clean all the poor animals that were full of the sludge water. Our vet for our shih tzu recommended the original Dawn to bathe her in. She was allergic to all the flea/tic removal products. It worked out very well.

Read More Answers...
    Load More
    Pets FleasAugust 7, 2012
    A cat scratching itself because it has fleas.
    Treating a Cat With Fleas
    A wall with fleas in it.
    Fleas Inside of Walls
    french bulldog puppy
    Treating Fleas on a Puppy
    Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
    Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 28, 2016 at 7:02:37 AM on 10.0.1.20 in 974 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.