Dawn Dishsoap For Fleas

Many pet owners use or consider using Dawn dishsoap as an inexpensive shampoo for fleas. This is a guide about using Dawn dish soap for fleas.

August 2, 2010 Flag

Our kittens had fleas. There were only 10 weeks old and the spray I had was for 12 weeks and older so I knew I couldn't use it on them. I called the veterinarian near us and they said to use Dawn dish soap to bathe them in. I had 2 small wash tubs. One filled with Dawn and warm water and the other warm water to rinse them in. They didn't seem to mind it at all. Then I went over there bodies with a soft brush to get the feces from the fleas and the dried blood by their ears washed off. The kittens are white so it was easy to see the fleas. I tried to pick the dead fleas off their skin. Then I patted them with a towel. This worked very well. The fleas seems to die instantly.

Source: My local vet.

By little suzy from Millbury, OH

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How often can I give them a bath using Dawn? Bad case of fleas here!

No - the bath drowns the fleas - any soap, Dawn, shampoo or otherwise, will work to kill fleas on a dog. Spraying it around the house will do nothing.

Read More Comments...

March 9, 2011 Flag

Why buy expensive dog shampoos at PetSmart to bathe your dog? My vet suggested I use any baby shampoo, so now I buy $1.00 generic baby shampoos at the Dollar Store and I have a dog that smells as good as a freshly bathed baby for a fraction of the cost.

By cipi2000 from Miami, FL

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Both my vet and our dog groomer recommended Johnson's baby shampoo for flea control on our dogs. I'm here to tell you, it does work.

Baby shampoo is still too harsh for animal's skin. I used to use baby shampoo but found that my dog's skin got really dry and she was always scratching. You would be better off using Avon Bubble bath which contains no chemicals and smells great!

Read More Comments...

November 7, 2010 Flag

How do I use Dawn on fleas?

By Barbra from Calistoga, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

If you put 10 drops of Tea Tree Oil per each 8oz of the shampoo or Lavender Dawn (I recommend because the lavender oil kills fleas) you can just bath them as you normally would and it will keep the fleas repelled. It will also work for ticks, flies (household and horse), and many other ugly lil buggers.... lol

Misty37723

I have had a yorkie puppy for all of two weeks and trust me I know how tight money can be these days. Anyways age came with a one fleas so I have a toddler and that was not going to work I decided to just try using some dawn and a small amount of baby bath amazingly it works. Later that night as she got her brushing I was brushing dead fleas off I immediately took her and washed the off of her with dawn again just to remove the dead and she was just fine. Dawn really did the job!

Read More Answers...

October 8, 2013 Flag

During a summer camp hosted by a college, one of the science professors shared a cool lesson with us. They showed us how to create a safe wasp killer.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 27, 2014 Flag

I found it easiest to put 1/4 cup of original blue Dawn and fill the kitchen sink. Do the forehead, under the chin, and cheeks first. Try your best not to get it in the eyes, nose, mouth or ears.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 2, 2015 Flag

Dawn Dishwashing Soap is a very effective way of ridding your dogs and cats. Don't ask me why, but if you wash them with it, and leave it on for 5 minutes, when you rinse them the fleas will just fall off.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 28, 2014 Flag

How much Dawn soap do I use to put on my carpets? And does it work and how often can I use it?

By Joyce M. from Pittsburgh

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

That's because your need to spray your carpets with lemon juice and Apple cider vinegar to flush then out of the carpets and towards the liquid in the pie plate.

What kind of salt kills fleas

Read More Answers...

February 4, 2015 Flag

Can I use normal dishwashing detergent to get rid of the fleas on my kitten instead of using Dawn detergent?

By l.t

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

After reading this site today I tried dawn dish soap and I was astounded how well it worked. The fleas died within moments of contact with the soap. I first applied the soap water around her evey, nose and neck to prevent the fleas from trying to escape to those sensitive areas. I then lathered the rest of her, waited about 7 minutes, then rinsed well. I was worried the fleas were really just stunned as opposed to dead so while removing them I left some in a disposable cup. Three hours later they're definitely dead. Her coat appears cleaner than normal and the dish soap leave a much more pleasant smell than any flea shampoo I've ever used. I'll never buy flea shampoo again.

Some other dish soaps are toxic to cats. My suggestion would be to only use Dawn.

Read More Answers...

January 18, 2015 Flag

We bought an 8 week old Malipoo and she has fleas and eggs, because every time we kill them and then check her again she will have baby fleas. Will Dawn dishsoap kill the eggs too?

By Carole

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Some types of Dawn contain ammonia, which is not safe for animals. Be sure to read the warnings on the back of the bottle to be sure.

Will dawn dish soap kill the eggs?

Read More Answers...

February 17, 2015 Flag

I have Dawn Ultra. It is not the normal Dawn so I'm worried if what they added to the Ultra Dawn is unsafe for cats.

By Maya W.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Is this meant as a flea bath? If so, you should use it as a one-time thing only. It's probably best to use a dish soap that is free and clear of dyes and perfumes for this. The brand isn't that important. Never use a lavender scented soap.

When bathing cats and kittens in general, I use a small amount of Johnson's no more tears baby shampoo. They usually keep themselves really clean, but sometimes mine gets sand in her fur and I don't want her swallowing that.

Dawn or Joy necessary or any non-detergent dish soap? Palmolive is great for our hands, so? Putting dishwashing liquid in watering water works great for plants...even in yard.

Read More Answers...

October 27, 2014 Flag

I have 2 nine year old inside only cats that have attracted fleas from somewhere. I have given both baths with an organic oatmeal and vinegar based flea shampoo for cats, but they still have fleas. My vet suggested that I make a mixture of apple cider vinegar, Dawn, and water, and bathe both kitties and then add to sprayer and spray entire house, carpet, and furniture to end my flea problem. Has anyone ever tried this and if so how much of each and did it work?

By Barbara A

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'd just go to Walmart and buy their flea and tic meds that you drop by a dropper on the back of their necks...it works great! Or...just buy some at your vet.

Yeah you can buy Wal-Mart drops, if you want to use toxic poison in your house! There are many reasons to NOT use those drops!

If you have small children that will be touching the animals often, no!

If you have a herding breed that might have the genetic disposition for being deathly sensitive to normal doses of things, no!

If you have someone in the house chemically allergic or sensitive, no!

If you've ever watched Chemerical, you definitely know, no!

I'm even cautious to use Dawn! Why? Because I know those chemical warnings are no joke!

Read More Answers...

June 17, 2011 Flag

Can I use Dawn dish soap to get rid of fleas on my dog?

By Connie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thank you so much!! Getting ready to give it a try!!

I tried dawn, with, and without vinegar. I think it is more effective with vinegar.

Read More Answers...

September 30, 2014 Flag

Sometime the best deals can be found online. Here is a 90oz bottle of Dawn Dishwashing Liquid. If you use Dawn often, this is definitely a great deal.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 9, 2013 Flag

Can I mix Dawn and water and do the inside of my house using a garden sprayer?

By Bosco

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I think it would kill the fleas, but you would end up with a really big mess. That soap is difficult to remove, and it would get sticky then attract dirt. If you could find a way to spray it around then remove it, it might work.

Baking soda...on carpets ....smoothers the little suckers

Read More Answers...

January 17, 2015 Flag

Does it dry out their skin because my dog has very dry skin?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Pets FleasAugust 7, 2012
Products
Dawn Dishsoap
A cat scratching itself because it has fleas.
Treating a Cat With Fleas
A wall with fleas in it.
Fleas Inside of Walls
Dishwashing liquid being squeezed onto a sponge.
Using Dawn Dish Detergent
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
🎉
🎄