Dawn Dishsoap For Fleas

Many pet owners use or consider using Dawn dishsoap as an inexpensive shampoo for fleas. This is a guide about using Dawn dish soap for fleas.

dawn for fleas
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Bathe Pets With Dawn to Kill FleasOur kittens had fleas. There were only 10 weeks old and the spray I had was for 12 weeks and older so I knew I couldn't use it on them. I called the veterinarian near us and they said to use Dawn dish soap to bathe them in. I had 2 small wash tubs. One filled with Dawn and warm water and the other warm water to rinse them in. They didn't seem to mind it at all. Then I went over there bodies with a soft brush to get the feces from the fleas and the dried blood by their ears washed off. The kittens are white so it was easy to see the fleas. I tried to pick the dead fleas off their skin. Then I patted them with a towel. This worked very well. The fleas seems to die instantly.

Source: My local vet.

By little suzy from Millbury, OH

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Why buy expensive dog shampoos at PetSmart to bathe your dog? My vet suggested I use any baby shampoo, so now I buy $1.00 generic baby shampoos at the Dollar Store and I have a dog that smells as good as a freshly bathed baby for a fraction of the cost.

By cipi2000 from Miami, FL

I found it easiest to put 1/4 cup of original blue Dawn and fill the kitchen sink. Do the forehead, under the chin, and cheeks first. Try your best not to get it in the eyes, nose, mouth or ears.

tabby cat lying next to red Christmas tree decorationI have Dawn Ultra. It is not the normal Dawn so I'm worried if what they added to the Ultra Dawn is unsafe for cats.

By Maya W.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Dawn or Joy necessary or any non-detergent dish soap? Palmolive is great for our hands, so? Putting dishwashing liquid in watering water works great for plants...even in yard.

Read More Answers...

Can I use normal dishwashing detergent to get rid of the fleas on my kitten instead of using Dawn detergent?

By l.t

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Your detergent will get some fleas. Dawn will get them all.

Read More Answers...

Dawn Dishwashing Soap is a very effective way of ridding your dogs and cats of fleas. Don't ask me why, but if you wash them with it and leave it on for 5 minutes, the fleas will just fall off when you rinse them.

How do I use Dawn on fleas?

By Barbra from Calistoga, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi Hey You,

I found this post while looking for instructions on how to use dawn on your dog to kill fleas. I called my vet about a sudden onset of fleas, late in the year, and he advised me to try dawn.

I have found very mixed results about whether to use it or not, but being as my vet recommended it, I feel that it is probably safe, if used in a pinch and not really often (no more than once every 2 months since it will strip the oils that dogs need on their skin).

What got my attention in your post was how you said to never use baby shampoo on your pet. I own a pug who is very prone to hot spots and dry skin. I tried about a dozen different pet shampoos that advertised they were good for dry skin and hot spots, and my poor buddy got no relief.

I asked my vet and he suggested to try baby shampoo. I invested in a bottle of Johnson's baby shampoo for hair and body, and it has been a life saver. He no longer has the dry, flaky skin, and hasn't had a hot spot in over a year now.

I bathe him with it about once a month, and not only does it cure the dry skin, but it also gives him a soft, healthy looking coat, and keeps him smelling nice almost all month. It has been an absolute lifesaver for me and my little man.

I am not sure why your vet, or the vets at these conventions, say that you should not use it, because mine did tell me to, and it is great. I'll never use a different shampoo on him. I guess vets are just like doctors; none of them agree on everything.

Read More Answers...

Just thought I'd share this here. During a summer camp hosted by a college, one of the science professors shared a cool lesson with us. They showed us how to create a safe wasp killer. As you know, commercial wasp killer are so poisonous.

He diluted about two tablespoons of Dawn dish soap in a cleaner bottle full of water, shook it, and then we waited for the bubbles to clear. He sprayed it on some wasps, and slowly they died. Other soaps worked, but not quite like Dawn. He said the Dawn creates a very strong film which coats the simple breathing holes of insects and they then, unless there's a source of warm running water, die of suffocation.

Perhaps this is why Dawn makes an effective flea bath. It's not the water rinsing them away, it's the Dawn suffocating them. Fleas are an insect.

I have 2 nine year old inside only cats that have attracted fleas from somewhere. I have given both baths with an organic oatmeal and vinegar based flea shampoo for cats, but they still have fleas. My vet suggested that I make a mixture of apple cider vinegar, Dawn, and water, and bathe both kitties and then add to sprayer and spray entire house, carpet, and furniture to end my flea problem. Has anyone ever tried this and if so how much of each and did it work?

By Barbara A

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yeah you can buy Wal-Mart drops, if you want to use toxic poison in your house! There are many reasons to NOT use those drops!

If you have small children that will be touching the animals often, no!

If you have a herding breed that might have the genetic disposition for being deathly sensitive to normal doses of things, no!

If you have someone in the house chemically allergic or sensitive, no!

If you've ever watched Chemerical, you definitely know, no!

I'm even cautious to use Dawn! Why? Because I know those chemical warnings are no joke!

Read More Answers...

How much Dawn soap do I use to put on my carpets? And does it work and how often can I use it?

By Joyce M. from Pittsburgh

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Linda is right. Salt is the best. Now, here is where any dish washing liquid comes in handy.

Fleas love warm climates so they will hop into a pie plate of water sitting under a night light or desk lamp. With a few drops of DWL to break up the surface adhesion they will jump in and drown.

I hope this helps too!

Sandi/PBP

Read More Answers...

We bought an 8 week old Malipoo and she has fleas and eggs, because every time we kill them and then check her again she will have baby fleas. Will Dawn dishsoap kill the eggs too?

By Carole

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I agree with the first answer you got. However, trying to kill fleas outside is a pain, a real big one. You can choose to go buy a chemical spray for your yard, but I don't like chemicals. But, if you go to your local Walmart, Home Depot, etc...wherever they sell those chemicals, you can find those empty bottles that connect to your water hose for you to spray your own mixture. I have used that by mixing water and Dawn liquid dish soap, then spraying my yard with it. The only downfall to it is if you spray too much (using more soap) it will kill the grass too. Depending on how much soap you use determines how much of your grass dies. A small amount turns it awful brown, more than that can strip it down to just about dirt. But hey, you get to start fresh with no fleas, and it's as good as round up, so no more weeds either, just pretty grass. Hope this was helpful.

Does it dry out their skin because my dog has very dry skin?

By Tina

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Dawn removes oil and grease from dishes and it will also remove oil from a dog's body. So do not use Dawn on your dog. If you want to kill fleas and prevent future problems, check with your vet on what to use to avoid dry skin problems for your dog.

How often can you wash your dog using Dawn soap for fleas? daily? weekly? etc. Thanks!

By T.N.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You and your dog will get sick of a bath daily. Weekly too. You are depending on the dawn for the fleas death. It's not what kills them, it's the water. So, here is what works.

Put a pie tin of water under a night light or lamp to keep it warm. Drop a couple drops of any dish washing liquid in to break up the surface adhesion in the water. They jump in and drown.

Give your dog Brewer's yeast tablets available at most stores. This makes their blood undesirable to the fleas and they go elsewhere.

I bathed my new 6 week old puppy in Dawn because I heard how well it worked, but all the fleas ran to her nose. What can I do?

By Sandra D.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

When you bath your puppy or dog always start as far forward towards the head as you can. You can start the bath by just doing around the ears, back of the pup's head and then the neck without putting the pup in water. What I do is mix water and dawn in a measuring cup and then soap up around the ears and neck area before putting them in any other water.

As soon as you put the animal in water the fleas will run for "high ground" which is the head. After getting the neck area soaped I then do the rest of the body making sure that they are fully wet and completely soaped up. Scrub and leave soap on for at least 4 to 5 minutes, then rinse.

Read More Answers...

Can I use Dawn dish soap on my cat? He is an 8 year old tuxedo.

By Debra from Parmus, NJ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'm certain this would be perfectly safe. During the oil crisis in the Gulf, the original blue Dawn was used to clean all the poor animals that were full of the sludge water. Our vet for our shih tzu recommended the original Dawn to bathe her in. She was allergic to all the flea/tic removal products. It worked out very well.

Read More Answers...

Can I use Dawn dish soap to get rid of fleas on my dog?

By Connie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Mix a little vinegar in it and it is better and this was on a post on here a couple of weeks ago and it works better and faster and none of the critters live.

Read More Answers...

Can I mix Dawn and water and do the inside of my house using a garden sprayer?

By Bosco

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I think it would kill the fleas, but you would end up with a really big mess. That soap is difficult to remove, and it would get sticky then attract dirt. If you could find a way to spray it around then remove it, it might work.

I know I can use it to give my dog a bath, but would it be effective at all as a spray as well?

By Elizabeth

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would not use Dawn dish soap as a spray for fleas. What I use as a spray to kill fleas is original Skin So Soft bath oil from Avon. You do have to mix it with five (5) parts water to one (1) part SSS. Kills fleas on contact.

I have heard of using Dawn blue dish detergent for fleas. What do I do, and does it work fast for relief? My Chihuahua was given Capstar yesterday, and it made him worse. Please help.

By Josie M

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Josie M,

Here is the website I found that gave specific instructions on how best to use dawn on your pet to kill fleas. Just be sure to only use it sparingly, and in a pinch, so you do not strip your pet of essential oils in his or her coat. Good Luck!

http://www.ehow.com/how_5942142_use-dawn-fleas-dogs.html

Read More Answers...

I've found, on the internet that Dawn dishsoap is a good remedy for fleas. However, I am wondering how often should I bathe my puppy Mahina, with it per week. I don't want to bathe her all the time because I've heard that bathing her a lot is actually bad for her and what about the eggs? Does it help get rid of them as well?

By C.S. from MAUI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have bathe my two girls every week to two weeks with no problems. I even used it on myself to shampoo my hair before I used it on my girls. This stuff is gentle and the hair comes squeaky clean. It does kill the fleas. Good product.

Load More
      Pets FleasAugust 7, 2012
      A cat scratching itself because it has fleas.
      Treating a Cat With Fleas
      A wall with fleas in it.
      Fleas Inside of Walls
      french bulldog puppy
      Treating Fleas on a Puppy
      Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
      Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 24, 2016 at 3:07:58 PM on 10.0.1.65 in 684 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.