Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Dawn Dishsoap For Fleas

Many pet owners use or consider using Dawn dishsoap as an inexpensive shampoo for fleas. This is a guide about using Dawn dish soap for fleas.

Our kittens had fleas. There were only 10 weeks old and the spray I had was for 12 weeks and older so I knew I couldn't use it on them. I called the veterinarian near us and they said to use Dawn dish soap to bathe them in. I had 2 small wash tubs. One filled with Dawn and warm water and the other warm water to rinse them in. They didn't seem to mind it at all. Then I went over there bodies with a soft brush to get the feces from the fleas and the dried blood by their ears washed off. The kittens are white so it was easy to see the fleas. I tried to pick the dead fleas off their skin. Then I patted them with a towel. This worked very well. The fleas seems to die instantly.

Source: My local vet.

By little suzy from Millbury, OH

How often can I give them a bath using Dawn? Bad case of fleas here!

October 8, 2013 Flag

Just thought I'd share this here. During a summer camp hosted by a college, one of the science professors shared a cool lesson with us. They showed us how to create a safe wasp killer. As you know, commercial wasp killer are so poisonous.

He diluted about two tablespoons of Dawn dish soap in a cleaner bottle full of water, shook it, and then we waited for the bubbles to clear. He sprayed it on some wasps, and slowly they died. Other soaps worked, but not quite like Dawn. He said the Dawn creates a very strong film which coats the simple breathing holes of insects and they then, unless there's a source of warm running water, die of suffocation.

Perhaps this is why Dawn makes an effective flea bath. It's not the water rinsing them away, it's the Dawn suffocating them. Fleas are an insect.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The flea bath is not successful because of the type of soap, it's the fact that soap breaks up the surface adhesion of the water and they drown. I am sure Dawn is great for a lot of things, but it's not the major factor here. Any soap will do. Check it out on google.

I found it easiest to put 1/4 cup of original blue Dawn and fill the kitchen sink. Do the forehead, under the chin, and cheeks first. Try your best not to get it in the eyes, nose, mouth or ears.

Dawn Dishwashing Soap is a very effective way of ridding your dogs and cats. Don't ask me why, but if you wash them with it, and leave it on for 5 minutes, when you rinse them the fleas will just fall off.

Sometime the best deals can be found online. Here is a 90oz bottle of Dawn Dishwashing Liquid. If you use Dawn often, this is definitely a great deal.

How do I use Dawn on fleas?

By Barbra from Calistoga, CA

Answer Was this helpful? 3
Best Answer

If you put 10 drops of Tea Tree Oil per each 8oz of the shampoo or Lavender Dawn (I recommend because the lavender oil kills fleas) you can just bath them as you normally would and it will keep the fleas repelled. It will also work for ticks, flies (household and horse), and many other ugly lil buggers.... lol

How much Dawn soap do I use to put on my carpets? And does it work and how often can I use it?

By Joyce M. from Pittsburgh

Answer Was this helpful? 3

That's because your need to spray your carpets with lemon juice and Apple cider vinegar to flush then out of the carpets and towards the liquid in the pie plate.

February 4, 2015 Flag

Can I use normal dishwashing detergent to get rid of the fleas on my kitten instead of using Dawn detergent?

By l.t

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

After reading this site today I tried dawn dish soap and I was astounded how well it worked. The fleas died within moments of contact with the soap. I first applied the soap water around her evey, nose and neck to prevent the fleas from trying to escape to those sensitive areas. I then lathered the rest of her, waited about 7 minutes, then rinsed well. I was worried the fleas were really just stunned as opposed to dead so while removing them I left some in a disposable cup. Three hours later they're definitely dead. Her coat appears cleaner than normal and the dish soap leave a much more pleasant smell than any flea shampoo I've ever used. I'll never buy flea shampoo again.

January 18, 2015 Flag

We bought an 8 week old Malipoo and she has fleas and eggs, because every time we kill them and then check her again she will have baby fleas. Will Dawn dishsoap kill the eggs too?

By Carole

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Some types of Dawn contain ammonia, which is not safe for animals. Be sure to read the warnings on the back of the bottle to be sure.

February 17, 2015 Flag

I have Dawn Ultra. It is not the normal Dawn so I'm worried if what they added to the Ultra Dawn is unsafe for cats.

By Maya W.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Is this meant as a flea bath? If so, you should use it as a one-time thing only. It's probably best to use a dish soap that is free and clear of dyes and perfumes for this. The brand isn't that important. Never use a lavender scented soap.

When bathing cats and kittens in general, I use a small amount of Johnson's no more tears baby shampoo. They usually keep themselves really clean, but sometimes mine gets sand in her fur and I don't want her swallowing that.

October 27, 2014 Flag

I have 2 nine year old inside only cats that have attracted fleas from somewhere. I have given both baths with an organic oatmeal and vinegar based flea shampoo for cats, but they still have fleas. My vet suggested that I make a mixture of apple cider vinegar, Dawn, and water, and bathe both kitties and then add to sprayer and spray entire house, carpet, and furniture to end my flea problem. Has anyone ever tried this and if so how much of each and did it work?

By Barbara A

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'd just go to Walmart and buy their flea and tic meds that you drop by a dropper on the back of their necks...it works great! Or...just buy some at your vet.

September 3, 2013 Flag

I bathed my new 6 week old puppy in Dawn because I heard how well it worked, but all the fleas ran to her nose. What can I do?

By Sandra D.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

When you bath your puppy or dog always start as far forward towards the head as you can. You can start the bath by just doing around the ears, back of the pup's head and then the neck without putting the pup in water. What I do is mix water and dawn in a measuring cup and then soap up around the ears and neck area before putting them in any other water.

As soon as you put the animal in water the fleas will run for "high ground" which is the head. After getting the neck area soaped I then do the rest of the body making sure that they are fully wet and completely soaped up. Scrub and leave soap on for at least 4 to 5 minutes, then rinse.

June 17, 2011 Flag

Can I use Dawn dish soap to get rid of fleas on my dog?

By Connie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thank you so much!! Getting ready to give it a try!!

January 17, 2015 Flag

Does it dry out their skin because my dog has very dry skin?

By Tina

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Dawn removes oil and grease from dishes and it will also remove oil from a dog's body. So do not use Dawn on your dog. If you want to kill fleas and prevent future problems, check with your vet on what to use to avoid dry skin problems for your dog.

November 9, 2013 Flag

Can I mix Dawn and water and do the inside of my house using a garden sprayer?

By Bosco

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I think it would kill the fleas, but you would end up with a really big mess. That soap is difficult to remove, and it would get sticky then attract dirt. If you could find a way to spray it around then remove it, it might work.

October 10, 2014 Flag

How often can you wash your dog using Dawn soap for fleas? daily? weekly? etc. Thanks!

By T.N.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You and your dog will get sick of a bath daily. Weekly too. You are depending on the dawn for the fleas death. It's not what kills them, it's the water. So, here is what works.

Put a pie tin of water under a night light or lamp to keep it warm. Drop a couple drops of any dish washing liquid in to break up the surface adhesion in the water. They jump in and drown.

Give your dog Brewer's yeast tablets available at most stores. This makes their blood undesirable to the fleas and they go elsewhere.

January 20, 2011 Flag

Can I use Dawn dish soap on my cat? He is an 8 year old tuxedo.

By Debra from Parmus, NJ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Most definitely, Dawn Dishwashing liquid is perfect for shampooing your cat or dog. As far as I know, only the original blue liquid Dawn has the flea-killing formula, but maybe all Dawn liquids do. I only use the original blue. You can even bathe small kittens with Dawn if they are ridden with fleas, just be careful not to get it in their little eyes. I'd wait until they are about 6 weeks old if possible. The blue Dawn kills fleas on contact.

My cat didn't seem to mind it at all, but I've not had to bathe him in about 5 years now. Only once did he ever have fleas, and we bathed him, then dusted the entire house with food-grade diatomaceous earth, never had another flea.

Hope this helps you.

Pookarina

July 6, 2013 Flag

I've found, on the internet that Dawn dishsoap is a good remedy for fleas. However, I am wondering how often should I bathe my puppy Mahina, with it per week. I don't want to bathe her all the time because I've heard that bathing her a lot is actually bad for her and what about the eggs? Does it help get rid of them as well?

By C.S. from MAUI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have bathe my two girls every week to two weeks with no problems. I even used it on myself to shampoo my hair before I used it on my girls. This stuff is gentle and the hair comes squeaky clean. It does kill the fleas. Good product.

July 23, 2013 Flag

I know I can use it to give my dog a bath, but would it be effective at all as a spray as well?

By Elizabeth

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would not use Dawn dish soap as a spray for fleas. What I use as a spray to kill fleas is original Skin So Soft bath oil from Avon. You do have to mix it with five (5) parts water to one (1) part SSS. Kills fleas on contact.

August 14, 2011 Flag

I have heard of using Dawn blue dish detergent for fleas. What do I do, and does it work fast for relief? My Chihuahua was given Capstar yesterday, and it made him worse. Please help.

By Josie M

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use capstar all the time for my dogs and cats. It does make them act like they are going crazy for awhile then they are alright. I put dawn in a sprayer and spay the yard and my 10X20 cat kennel. I keep a bowl of water and dawn in it with a flea comb and my 3 inside cats always let me know when they want me to comb them with it. I have had a bad year with fleas due to yard next to my cat kennel has not mowed their grass in years and with all of the birds and squirrels coming to my yard they bring the fleas with them. I go around the yard about every 2 days with the sprayer

June 22, 2013 Flag

How long does it take for Dawn dish soap to kill dog fleas?

By Angie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use Dawn full strength on my two girls. The fleas start dying as you are shampooing your dog. Remember to always start with the neck so the fleas don't escape to the ears and nose. If you can keep the lather on your dog for 5 minutes the better. Keep the soap away from the face. I have bathe my dogs once a week to be sure there are no survivors. The soap is very gentle and works great.

Load More
Dishwashing liquid being squeezed onto a sponge.
Uses for Dawn Dish Detergent
Pets FleasAugust 7, 2012
Products
Dawn Dishsoap
A cat scratching itself because it has fleas.
Treating a Cat With Fleas
Dawn and baking soda for cleaning a smooth top stove.
Use Dawn and Baking Soda to Clean a Smooth Top Range
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
Bottle of Dawn Dish Soap
Using Dawn Dish Soap as a Stain Remover
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 22, 2017 at 8:49:42 AM on 10.0.1.236 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.