Dawn Dishsoap For Fleas

Many pet owners use or consider using Dawn dishsoap as an inexpensive shampoo for fleas. This is a guide about using Dawn dish soap for fleas.

August 2, 2010 Flag

Bathe Pets With Dawn to Kill FleasOur kittens had fleas. There were only 10 weeks old and the spray I had was for 12 weeks and older so I knew I couldn't use it on them. I called the veterinarian near us and they said to use Dawn dish soap to bathe them in. I had 2 small wash tubs. One filled with Dawn and warm water and the other warm water to rinse them in. They didn't seem to mind it at all. Then I went over there bodies with a soft brush to get the feces from the fleas and the dried blood by their ears washed off. The kittens are white so it was easy to see the fleas. I tried to pick the dead fleas off their skin. Then I patted them with a towel. This worked very well. The fleas seems to die instantly.

Source: My local vet.

By little suzy from Millbury, OH

If I use dawn and water in a spray bottle and spay around the house will that get rid of the fleas

March 9, 2011 Flag

Why buy expensive dog shampoos at PetSmart to bathe your dog? My vet suggested I use any baby shampoo, so now I buy $1.00 generic baby shampoos at the Dollar Store and I have a dog that smells as good as a freshly bathed baby for a fraction of the cost.

By cipi2000 from Miami, FL

Both my vet and our dog groomer recommended Johnson's baby shampoo for flea control on our dogs. I'm here to tell you, it does work.

October 27, 2014 Flag

I found it easiest to put 1/4 cup of original blue Dawn and fill the kitchen sink. Do the forehead, under the chin, and cheeks first. Try your best not to get it in the eyes, nose, mouth or ears.

October 8, 2013 Flag

During a summer camp hosted by a college, one of the science professors shared a cool lesson with us. They showed us how to create a safe wasp killer.

April 2, 2015 Flag

Dawn Dishwashing Soap is a very effective way of ridding your dogs and cats. Don't ask me why, but if you wash them with it, and leave it on for 5 minutes, when you rinse them the fleas will just fall off.

August 28, 2014 Flag

How much Dawn soap do I use to put on my carpets? And does it work and how often can I use it?

By Joyce M. from Pittsburgh

That's because your need to spray your carpets with lemon juice and Apple cider vinegar to flush then out of the carpets and towards the liquid in the pie plate.

February 4, 2015 Flag

Can I use normal dishwashing detergent to get rid of the fleas on my kitten instead of using Dawn detergent?

By l.t

After reading this site today I tried dawn dish soap and I was astounded how well it worked. The fleas died within moments of contact with the soap. I first applied the soap water around her evey, nose and neck to prevent the fleas from trying to escape to those sensitive areas. I then lathered the rest of her, waited about 7 minutes, then rinsed well. I was worried the fleas were really just stunned as opposed to dead so while removing them I left some in a disposable cup. Three hours later they're definitely dead. Her coat appears cleaner than normal and the dish soap leave a much more pleasant smell than any flea shampoo I've ever used. I'll never buy flea shampoo again.

January 18, 2015 Flag

We bought an 8 week old Malipoo and she has fleas and eggs, because every time we kill them and then check her again she will have baby fleas. Will Dawn dishsoap kill the eggs too?

By Carole

Some types of Dawn contain ammonia, which is not safe for animals. Be sure to read the warnings on the back of the bottle to be sure.

November 7, 2010 Flag

How do I use Dawn on fleas?

By Barbra from Calistoga, CA

Well, when you have 6 beautiful babies(dogs).. all vets are worried about is money not dogs. I get $140.00 a month that's all. After I pay light bill, there is 2.00 left.y I u see, I don't have the money to buy expensive flea treatments. I love my babies. I don't see anybody thinking of lending a helping hand, giving coupons for free comfortis, front line, you know I try giving them a bath every so often. But I need help in between baths, something that's going to workk

February 17, 2015 Flag

tabby cat lying next to red Christmas tree decorationI have Dawn Ultra. It is not the normal Dawn so I'm worried if what they added to the Ultra Dawn is unsafe for cats.

By Maya W.

Is this meant as a flea bath? If so, you should use it as a one-time thing only. It's probably best to use a dish soap that is free and clear of dyes and perfumes for this. The brand isn't that important. Never use a lavender scented soap.

When bathing cats and kittens in general, I use a small amount of Johnson's no more tears baby shampoo. They usually keep themselves really clean, but sometimes mine gets sand in her fur and I don't want her swallowing that.

October 27, 2014 Flag

I have 2 nine year old inside only cats that have attracted fleas from somewhere. I have given both baths with an organic oatmeal and vinegar based flea shampoo for cats, but they still have fleas. My vet suggested that I make a mixture of apple cider vinegar, Dawn, and water, and bathe both kitties and then add to sprayer and spray entire house, carpet, and furniture to end my flea problem. Has anyone ever tried this and if so how much of each and did it work?

By Barbara A

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'd just go to Walmart and buy their flea and tic meds that you drop by a dropper on the back of their necks...it works great! Or...just buy some at your vet.

September 30, 2014 Flag

Sometime the best deals can be found online. Here is a 90oz bottle of Dawn Dishwashing Liquid. If you use Dawn often, this is definitely a great deal.

January 17, 2015 Flag

Does it dry out their skin because my dog has very dry skin?

By Tina

Dawn removes oil and grease from dishes and it will also remove oil from a dog's body. So do not use Dawn on your dog. If you want to kill fleas and prevent future problems, check with your vet on what to use to avoid dry skin problems for your dog.

November 9, 2013 Flag

Can I mix Dawn and water and do the inside of my house using a garden sprayer?

By Bosco

Load More
Pets FleasAugust 7, 2012
Dawn Dishsoap
A cat scratching itself because it has fleas.
Treating a Cat With Fleas
A wall with fleas in it.
Fleas Inside of Walls
french bulldog puppy
Treating Fleas on a Puppy
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding