Freeze Blended Celery and Onions

I don't use a lot of onions or celery, so I found them going bad before I could use them. It's much more expensive to buy smaller quantities, you are just paying for someone else to do the chopping when you buy it already cut up. Save money and product, by doing the chopping yourself!

I divide chopped celery and onions into sealable snack size plastic bags, then put them in a quart size freezer bag (that I have previously used, washed and am recycling). I also make one mixed with celery and onion for the recipes that call for both. Put them inside the freezer door for easy grabbing when you're making meatloaf, etc., so you can just grab them and use what you need. Saves all that time and extra mess in food prep for meals in a hurry!

By takins from Midlothian, VA

February 16, 2011 Flag

My husband is picky about textures in foods, but appreciates the flavors, so I use my Magic Bullet and blend/puree the onions or celery to use them in my cooking. To save time on meal prep time, (and to use up extra veggies), I take the pureed onion and celery, and freeze them in ice cube trays that are made for freezing breast milk. They are 1 ounce portions and it has a heavy duty lid, so that the smells can't leak out and leach onto other foods.

Once they freeze, I can take them and put in plastic freezer bags for future use, then freeze more. It's very handy to just go grab a couple of "frozen cubes" of onion or celery when I need it. No stopping to chop or blend. Yay!

By KELLYHUGS from Sachse, TX

Food and Recipes Freezing VegetablesFebruary 16, 2011
chopping green onions
Chopping Green Onions
Onions growing in the ground.
Growing Onions
Freezing Green Onions
Freezing Green Onions
Celery new growth
Growing Celery
🎉
🎄