Cleaning With Shaving Cream

You might be surprised by the many cleaning uses for shaving cream. This is a guide about cleaning with shaving cream.

April 10, 2009 Flag

After coming home from a twelve hour day at work, I was greeted by my loving, newly adopted Boxer! I was also met with a stench that would wake the dead, and when I looked inside my home. I saw a dog parent's worst nightmare: projectile diarrhea on my light beige carpet covering approximately 15 square feet!

Having no name brand carpet cleaners in the house, I had to get creative and fast before I passed out from the sight and smell.

To my surprise and delight the following procedure worked flawlessly for the stain and smell. I ran into the shower and grabbed my Gillette Foamy shaving cream. (After cleaning up what I could wearing gloves and a respirator), I squirted the foam on each of the separate 18 (yes 18) soiled areas. I let it sit for about 10-15 minutes.

Then, with a towel that was dampened with hot water, I agitated the spots and "everything" came out instantly! I have found this works better than all the name brand, expensive carpet-stain removers on the market.

By Greg from Columbia, SC

Editor's Note: Be sure to use the old fashioned white shaving cream. Using a gel based shaving product will not have the same effect and may stain your carpet.

Thank you for posting this great tip! I never would have thought in all my years that regular shaving cream could be used in carpet cleaning... that is truly amazing. I will need to try it out on my next mishap.

That's an awesome carpet cleaning idea! Thanks so much. Just out of curiosity, how did you know to use shaving cream. Did you spill some wine, and then think, "Hmm, I should use some shaving cream." :)

I never thought to use shaving cream for carpet cleaning! Fabric softener works too, but I think it's a bit too expensive to use all the time. I'd rather rent a steaming unit then buy a lot of fabric softener.

Oh wow! I never would have thought that shaving cream would work well for carpet cleaning. I will have to keep this in mind the next time I drop some food on the floor! Thank you so much for the tip!

May 19, 2010 Flag

Shaving cream is a wonderful and cheap way to get kids squeaky clean. Most of the time with a coupon you can get a can very cheap and sometimes free.

April 11, 2011 Flag

I was inspired to find a thrifty substitute for a very expensive cleaning paste I saw on TV, $20 for two tubs with two diamond fiber sponges. I used a $1.83 can of shaving foam and half of a scrubby pad I bought at Dollar General.

April 12, 2010 Flag

Use shaving cream to clean furniture, carpets, rugs (not delicates that will easily fall apart) instead of having to pay to get it cleaned or buy new ones. Stains come out and it smells good too (not for deep stains).

November 20, 2009 Flag

Cleaning your mirrors or fixtures with shaving cream will leave them clean and smelling nice. The biggest plus is that the moisture simply rolls off, and the mirrors do not fog up.

June 16, 2008 Flag

Barbasol shave cream dissolves grime. Use it by your workbench to clean your hands. It doesn't need to be used with water. Of course, you'll need a dry cloth handy.

Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousApril 30, 2013
A pink razor.
Shaving Your Bikini Area
A woman shaving her legs.
Tips for Shaving Your Legs
Lifting paper away from the shaving cream.
Craft Uses for Shaving Cream
Homemade Shave Cream
Homemade Shaving Cream Recipes