Make Your Own Vanilla Extract

I want to purchase vanilla beans to make my own vanilla extract. I do not like imitation vanilla. I'm not sure of the quantity of beans to purchase so I was wondering what are other uses for these beans?

By jcarpenter from Mt. Pleasant, MI

Various recipes here to choose from ;-) I am not sure what you would be able to use the beans for after you make the extract though :-(

http://tipnut.com/homemade-vanilla-extract/

You leave the beans in the extract so you can make more! They will not go bad as the alcohol serves as a preservative. When I make it I use a 1/2 pint of vodka or very good brandy. Split 3 vanilla beans longwise but not all of the way through. Add to the liquor & shake. Put the bottle where you will see it & shake well a few times a week. It will take 2 to 6 months (sometimes longer) for your vanilla to 'make'. I made 2 bottles for my own use because when the 1st bottle gets low I can add more liquor to it & still have homemade vanilla to use while the 1st one 'makes' again. You can use the vanilla beans over & over again. So far, I have used the 1st bottle for 4 years, & the 2nd for 3 years. I have made a lot of homemade vanilla for Christmas & housewarmings & always get raves!

Homemade vanilla extract in a glass bottle.
Making Vanilla Extract
Food and Recipes Recipes SpicesJuly 27, 2009
Vanilla cake with filling and vanilla frosting.
Vanilla Cake Recipes
Vanilla Extract
Uses for Vanilla Extract
Vanilla frosting on a lemon layer cake.
Vanilla Frosting Recipes
Almonds
Substitution for Almond Extract
🎉
🎄