Make Your Own Vanilla Extract

I want to purchase vanilla beans to make my own vanilla extract. I do not like imitation vanilla. I'm not sure of the quantity of beans to purchase so I was wondering what are other uses for these beans?

By jcarpenter from Mt. Pleasant, MI

Anonymous

Various recipes here to choose from ;-) I am not sure what you would be able to use the beans for after you make the extract though :-(

http://tipnut.c  vanilla-extract/

You leave the beans in the extract so you can make more! They will not go bad as the alcohol serves as a preservative. When I make it I use a 1/2 pint of vodka or very good brandy. Split 3 vanilla beans longwise but not all of the way through. Add to the liquor & shake. Put the bottle where you will see it & shake well a few times a week. It will take 2 to 6 months (sometimes longer) for your vanilla to 'make'. I made 2 bottles for my own use because when the 1st bottle gets low I can add more liquor to it & still have homemade vanilla to use while the 1st one 'makes' again. You can use the vanilla beans over & over again. So far, I have used the 1st bottle for 4 years, & the 2nd for 3 years. I have made a lot of homemade vanilla for Christmas & housewarmings & always get raves!