Black Residue in Appliance Water Reservoirs

When emptying my coffee pot I see a black water residue drain out. I even see some of this from the cup. Is this dangerous? I use either Folgers or Maxwell House. This has begun happening in the last several months.

By Joanne from Hampstead, NC

What does the residue smell like? if it is coffee, then there is a build up of the oils from all the coffee you have made. Run a pot of water with about 1/4-1/2 a cup plain white vinegar in it through the coffee maker, following with 2-4 pots of plain water. If it is mildew, vinegar works for that as well. Depending on how much coffee you make a day, clean the pot frequently in this manner. You will notice a change in the taste of your coffee after, it should be less bitter.

February 21, 2011 Flag

What is the black substance that forms at the valve of the ice maker on a Hotpoint refrigerator? I also found it in the water reservoir of the coffee maker. Is it a fungus or a bacteria? It cleans off easily but returns.

By Bill from Cincinnati, OH

Could it be mold? Call the place you got it from, good luck. (01/13/2010)

By kffrmw88

It's mold. Just keep those areas clean with vinegar. It helps to also run vinegar through the coffee pot once a month to keep the interior mechanisms clean. It's normal to get this kind of mold on appliances that use water. (01/17/2010)

By Deeli

Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesFebruary 21, 2011
Handyman Finding Appliance Manuals Online
Finding Appliance Manuals Online
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
underside of Black Widow Spider
Getting Rid of Black Widow Spiders
Black Bean Salsa
Black Bean Salsa Recipes