Is It Too Late to Plant Vegetables and Flowers?

Can I plant veggies and flowers now?

By craftslady2008 from Medina, OH

Best Answer

If you research "length of growing season in zone 6a" you find it runs from approximately 5/15-10/15. Figure out how many days are left, and you can grow things within that time frame. This information is available on seed packets, and online. Check out anything you are considering. You would have a better chance of success with plants already started than with seeds. Consider growing in containers which could be brought inside if necessary.

I am establishing a perennial flower garden. The plants (so far) have been planted between 6/1 and 7/25, and seem to be doing well. Won't know for sure until I see what comes up next year.

Best Answer

We are also in zone 6a. You can plant tulip bulbs, or any kind of flowering bulbs, now. It won't come until spring. Lettuce, radishes, peas, beans, spinach, can still be planted in your area. You can plant strawberry plants for next year and as well as fruit trees. Also, some kinds of garlic and winter onions can also be planted. Hope this helps.

July 31, 20090 found this helpful I live in south Al so I can't give you much info but I searched for your state,go to their site (Ohio cooperative extension)they have lot of info on it as they do in every state. Hope this helps, good luck.

Late Summer Planting
Planting in Late Summer
Home and Garden Gardening PlantingJuly 30, 2009
Turnips with greens.
Freezing Turnips or Parsnips
Sun Star Plant
Caring for a Sun Star Plant
Veggie seeds.
Growing Vegetables from Seeds
Selecting Valentine's Day Flowers, A bouquet of fresh cut roses for Valentine's Day
Selecting Valentine's Day Flowers