Knife Marks on Corelle Plates

How do you remove gray metal marks made by knives while cutting meat on Corelle plates during meals?

Best Answer

The following is some info I found at corelle.com:

CARE

Wash by hand or in automatic dishwasher. Load dishes to avoid bumping against other items during cycle. To remove gray or rust marks, clean with non-abrasive cleanser. If scouring is necessary, use only plastic or nylon cleaning pads with non-abrasive cleansers. DO NOT allow stoneware mugs to soak/stand in water for an extended period of time.

I would try Bar Keepers Friend. I have a white liner for my Slow Cooker and that is what the directiosn recommend that I use.

Mr. clean magic erasers are really good for this.

I have tried Bar Keepers Friend and also Cameo for aluminum and stainless steel. Both wonderful but not for this job. I will buy some Mr. Clean magic erasers and give that a try because it is a shame to buy new dishes if these marks can be removed.

I use Bon Ami cleanser. It is lightly abrasive and doesn't cost as much as the Magic Erasers. It also works well to remove rust stains on the edges from rusted dishwasher racks.

Before the magic eraser, I would make a thick paste from baking soda and a few drops of dish detergent; removed utensil marks, as well as baked on (for years!) stuff from white corningware cookware. You can either use a finger to rub it in or the corner of a dish sponge.

The Magic Eraser did not work for me. I also tried vinegar and soda. I will try the soda and dish detergent next and when I run errands next week I'll buy some Bon Ami cleanser. You would think that something out there would work!

Thank you for all your suggestions!

I think that can happen when the Corelle comes in contact with something metal in the dishwasher. I wrote to Corning once to ask about it and I believe they told me to use Barkeeper's Friend but it may have been Bon Ami. One of the two, I think. I know that it worked for me.

Corelle is made from a type of glass by the way.

Nothing so far has fazed the marks and I'm thinking they may be etched into the glass and WERE made by knives. Only the eating surfaces of the plates have the marks. The various size bowls and etc. are just fine. We use the bowls as much as we do the plates. These marks were not made by the dishwasher but may be harder to remove due to all the heat and frequent washings? I did not have the Bon Ami cleanser on hand but will give it a try when I next run errands. Thanks everyone!

I've had Corelle dinnerware for over 28 years now. I'm now on my second pattern!!

When that happened for the first time, I just tried baking soda on a damp

washcoth and rub. It may take a couple applications but it always comes out fine.

I learned this trick from a antique dealer.

Use Sno Bowl toilet cleaner on metal marks on plates.

Always works like a charm.

Norwex Cleaning Paste and their Envirocloth is the only thing that has worked for me. It's awesome and good for the environment and your skin!