Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Knife Marks on Corelle Plates

How do you remove gray metal marks made by knives while cutting meat on Corelle plates during meals ?

Mary from IA

By

By Nancy (Guest Post)12/20/2008

I learned this trick from a antique dealer.
Use Sno Bowl toilet cleaner on metal marks on plates.
Always works like a charm.

By Linda [1]04/02/2008

I've had Corelle dinnerware for over 28 years now. I'm now on my second pattern!!
When that happened for the first time, I just tried baking soda on a damp
washcoth and rub. It may take a couple applications but it always comes out fine.

By B in North Carolina (Guest Post)02/20/2008

I don't know if this would repair the knife marks on your dishes or not, but I saved this tip on How To Repair Cracked China

When you find a crack in your china, you can mend it with milk. Immerse your cup or dish in a pan with milk to cover. Simmer gently for 45 minutes. Let cool and remove the cup or dish and wash and dry. The protein in the milk is what miraculously repairs the china.

Another helpful thing to do when purchasing antique teapots or cups is to ask the vendor if you can fill it with water before you purchase it. Sometimes you can discover fine cracks this way.

You never know, it may work :-)

By Mary Lou [4]02/20/2008

Nothing so far has fazed the marks and I'm thinking they may be etched into the glass and WERE made by knives. Only the eating surfaces of the plates have the marks. The various size bowls and etc. are just fine. We use the bowls as much as we do the plates. These marks were not made by the dishwasher but may be harder to remove due to all the heat and frequent washings? I did not have the Bon Ami cleanser on hand but will give it a try when I next run errands. Thanks everyone!

By Debbie Dzurilla [24]02/20/2008

The following is some info I found at corelle.com:

CARE
Wash by hand or in automatic dishwasher. Load dishes to avoid bumping against other items during cycle. To remove gray or rust marks, clean with non-abrasive cleanser. If scouring is necessary, use only plastic or nylon cleaning pads with non-abrasive cleansers. DO NOT allow stoneware mugs to soak/stand in water for an extended period of time.

By Debbie Dzurilla [24]02/20/2008

I think that can happen when the Corelle comes in contact with something metal in the dishwasher. I wrote to Corning once to ask about it and I believe they told me to use Barkeeper's Friend but it may have been Bon Ami. One of the two, I think. I know that it worked for me.

Corelle is made from a type of glass by the way.

By Mary Lou [4]02/19/2008

The Magic Eraser did not work for me. I also tried vinegar and soda. I will try the soda and dish detergent next and when I run errands next week I'll buy some Bon Ami cleanser. You would think that something out there would work!!

Thank you for all your suggestions!!

By Kat [7]02/19/2008

Before the magic eraser, I would make a thick paste from baking soda and a few drops of dish detergent; removed utensil marks, as well as baked on (for years!) stuff from white corningware cookware. You can either use a finger to rub it in or the corner of a dish sponge.

By Phyllis Barton (Guest Post)02/19/2008

I use Bon Ami cleanser. It is lightly abrasive and doesn't cost as much as the Magic Erasers. It also works well to remove rust stains on the edges from rusted dishwasher racks.

By Mary Lou [4]02/18/2008

I have tried Bar Keepers Friend and also Cameo for aluminum and stainless steel. Both wonderful but not for this job. I will buy some Mr. Clean magic erasers and give that a try because it is a shame to buy new dishes if these marks can be removed.

By lulu (Guest Post)02/18/2008

Mr. clean magic erasers are really good for this.

By Pattie Hartley [1]02/18/2008

I would try Bar Keepers Friend. I have a white liner for my Slow Cooker and that is what the directiosn recommend that I use.