Veggie Recipes

Can anyone give me recipes for vegetables? I only eat potatoes and corn doused in butter and salt. I try to sneak peas in casseroles when I make them. But I would like to try some new things. I really hate the taste of most veggies, but I want to eat healthier and set a good example for my daughter. She won't eat them either.

Thanks for your help!
Jessiworm

I am always thinking up ways to get my kids to each their veggies. One way I do it is to sneek it into their foods. Example: When making oodles of noodles package soups I chop zucchini into very small pieces, grate carrots and boil this first before adding the noodles, then I beat an egg with about a tablespoon of water and add this to the boiling water. Serve with oyster crackers.

Do you like tomatoe sauce? Chop zucchini, onions and green peppers into small pieces. Cook in olive oil on stove top. Add salt and pepper to taste. I sometimes add garlic, basil, and thyme. Cook until tender. Add tomatoe sauce and top with grated cheese (any kind you have available) and serve.

Hi Jessiworm, Have you tried spaghetti squash with a nice pasta sauce? Yummy!

Are you eating canned or frozen veggies? I used to think I hated peas until I tried frozen peas. We has always eaten canned veggies growing up and they really don't taste good at all. Now I use frozen peas, corn and beans all the time. My girls love them and so do I. From a former veggie hater.

I applaud your attempt to broaden your veggie horizons. This is not easy! You might start gradually, with steamed baby carrots, served with butter and salt. if you still can't get passed the 'veggieness' of it, add a little brown sugar.

How about some celery (raw) thinly spread with peanut butter, or cream cheese?

Many raw veggies can become interesting if you use a dip, like french onion (widely used with chips) or ranch dressing.

Best of luck. : )

I hate vegtables I only eat corn or salads. But, I have a great receipe I ate at a Xmas dinner. 1 pkg of frozen petite peas. In a sauce pan pour a little olive oil crush some garlic and saute some onions after the garlic and oinions are finished sauting add the peas a little water about 1 tablespoon and some fresh basil or dried basil let cook a few min... mmmmmm yummmmy I eat the leftovers.. Good Luck!!!!!!!!

Oh try baking a sweet potato or yam till soft...

then a tiny bit of butter and brown sugar...yum....

I make a mix of salsa with 2 rinsed cans of black beans, and rinsed 2 cans of kernel corn it is so good.

Kohlrabi Sauté

4 Med kohlrabi grated

1 med onion sliced

1 tbsp butter

1/2 cup water

2 to 3 tbsp. sour cream

Salt and pepper

In a large fry pan melt butter over med heat. Add onion and sauté until onion is tender. Add grated kohlrabi, sauté a few mins. Be careful not to brown the onion and kohlrabi. Add the water. Cover and cook over low heat for 30 or 40 min until tender, adding more water if needed to keep moist. Right before serving add the sour cream. Stir in well. This goes great with chicken.

Green beans with tomato sauce

1 1/2 lb. Green beans, trimmed

2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

1 large onion, thinly sliced

2 cloves garlic, chopped

2 small potatoes, peeled and cubed

14 oz. Can tomatoes, chopped

2/3 cup hot water

4 TBS. Fresh parsley

Salt and pepper

Trim the beans and drop them in cold water.

Heat oil in a large pot, add the onion and sauté until translucent. Add the garlic, then, when it becomes aromatic, stir in the potatoes and sauté the mixture for a few a minutes.

Add the tomatoes, with the hot water and cook for 5-min. drain the beans, rinse them and drain them again, then add them to the pot with a little salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 30 min. Stir in the parsley, add a little more water if the mixture looks to dry. Cook ten minutes more until beans are very tender. This goes well with beef

Southern collard greens

1/2 pound smoked meat (ham hocks, smoked turkey wings, or smoked neck bones)

1 tablespoon House seasoning, recipe follows

1 tablespoon seasoned salt

1 tablespoon hot red pepper sauce

1 large bunch collard greens

1 tablespoon butter

In a large pot, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil and add smoked meat, house seasoning, seasoned salt and hot sauce. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 1 hour.

Wash the collard greens thoroughly. Remove the stems that run down the center by holding the leaf in your left hand and stripping the leaf down with your right hand. The tender young leaves in the heart of the collards don't need to be stripped. Stack 6 to 8 leaves on top of one another, roll up, and slice into 1/2 to 1-ince thick slices. Place greens in pot with meat and add butter. Cook for 45 to 60 minutes, stirring occasionally. When done taste and adjust seasoning.

Serve with favorite dish as a side.

House Seasoning:

1 cup salt

1/4 cup black pepper

1/4 cup garlic powder

Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

Ok you all. Corn is a starch and so is potatoes. Peas are lequmes. Why don't you try making a homemade soup and add lot's of veggies. My mom always made a meatball soup. I still love it and so do my girls(now grown).

One large can V8 juice

one large can whole peeled tomatoes

add...

one minced onion

3 stalks celery chopped

chopped carrots

fresh or frozen(not canned) cut green beans

cup peas (not canned)

cup corn

4 or so potatoes cut small

one pound of ground beef (very lean)

Heat V8 juice and canned peeled tomatoes till boiling

lower heat to simmer

add all veggies but corn and peas

make little tiny meatballs from beef

don't brown them ahead of time, leave raw

drop meatballs into soup, watch to keep it at a simmer

cook about 20 mins at a simmer

add corn and peas

maybe some fresh parsley, salt and pepper to taste

sounds so simple, but has wonderful flavor and since the veggies are cooked in the broth you get what vitamins would cook out in water. Make sure you use very lean ground beef since the meatballs aren't being cooked seperately and you won't drain fat off. If you precook the meat, the taste is very different.

Leftover veggies of any kind are good to mix in. You can make it thick with lots of stuff, or thin with alot of broth. Whatever you like. Learn to change stuff and add herbs to your liking. It's a plain soup so the children might be willing to try. I used to pick out the onions when I was a kid, but they add flavor too.

also fried zucchini is ummy

cut zucchini into rounds

dip in egg wash

dip in bread crumbs

fry in tiny bit mild olive oil till slightly brown

done and good

sauce to dip in...

1/2 cup mayonaise

horshradish to taste

tsp lemon juice also ummy

raw veggies or very, very slightly steamed are great with a good ranch dressing to dip in.

Let the kids help prepare, more apt to eat it then.

make (or buy) a veggie pizza or a salad pizza

(sounds weird, but really good here in NJ anyhow)

Hope I helped a little. Veggies are really good, just keep trying them, or grow some, and before you know it you will find something you like. And please, nix so much salt..................Valery

as a general rule of thumb, fresh always tastes best, then frozen, then canned last. so when you're introducing new veggies, go with fresh first. also, if you really don't like a taste, disguise it with lots of herbs (garlic, basil, oregano, paprika thyme). i also cook my veggies in the same pot as the meat or in a soup b/c they soak up the meat flavor and don't taste much like veggies; also i find them less veggie-tasting when they are cooked soft, not cruchy; except for veggies and ranch dip. also, almost any veggie covered in cheese sauce or a cream based soup atop a baked potatoe is a good meal.

i am with you. i didn't eat veggies until i was in my late 20's. your taste buds die off as you get older and you're able to tolerate tastes you didn't like as a kid. go slow. there will still be some veggies you will never like. try the mildest tasting ones first. my parents used to bribe me to eat beans when i was a kid, still don't eat them as an adult, except for a small amount of fresh green beans; nor broccoli (though i'm working on that one), cauliflower, asparagus, or cabbage. breaded adn fried is always a good way to go too.

Try grating veggies into your stews casseroles soups whatever. Carrots will add a sweetness. I used to hate alot of veggies also growing up. I decided when I got older to try new things again and have discovered I really like some things and still dont like others. I would try easing down on the salt. I slowly stopped using salt a few years ago and now I never use salt. I use seasonings to change the taste. I have even cut my husband way back and he LOVES salt.

Oven Baked Yam (Kohlrabi) Chips

- 1 raw yam/kohlrabi per person

- 1 onion, thinly sliced

- Olive oil

- Sea salt

Directions:

- Slice Yam 1/8" - 1/4" thick

- Arrange slices in a single layer or slightly overlapping in large baking pan

- Scatter onions on top

- Brush with olive oil

- Sprinkle with sea salt

- Bake 375 degrees for 30-45 minutes or until crispy

Tasty... have used Yam and Sweet Potato but not Kohlrabi. The Yam does 'shrink'. Since I prefer them 'crispy' I figured out that usually 2 servings per pan works best.

I add veggies to meatloaf, hamburgers and meatballs. Just grate or finely chop onion, carrot, zucchini, mushroom, celery, etc. and mix with your meat. I find most people overcook fresh vegetables and that makes them unappetizing. Cook fresh vegetables briefly by stir frying in a bit of oil or steam in the microwave by adding a little water to the bottom of a large bowl of veggies. Season liberally. Try garlic salt, low sodium soy sauce, cheese sauce (Ragu makes a nice low-carb healthy version), parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes, black pepper. Try seasoning mixes: Mrs. Grass makes great ones, Jane's Mixed-Up salt is wonderful, but my absolute favorite is Spike. It's Oprah's fave. A mix of salt, spices, vegetable powder, and yeast, it livens up any veg, meat, pasta. I can't live without it. If you can't find it in the grocery store, look in a health food/vegetarian store. Try mixing faves. If you love chicken and cheese, try broccoli and cheese stuffed chicken. If you like chicken parmesan, try eggplant parmesan. Add some veggies to your pizza - that's how I learned to love olives!

Food and Recipes Recipes VegetablesOctober 4, 2005
Green and purple kohlrabi.
Canning Kohlrabi
Tuna Dip
Tuna Dip Recipes
Root Vegetables
Recipes Using Root Vegetables
Veggie burger patty.
Veggie Burger Recipes
🎄