How Do I Make Garden Mulch?

How do I make my own mulch using grass clippings, potato peels, leaves, and miscellaneous yard waste? What can I use, and what not to use, how long before it can be used?

By Dean from El Cajon, CA

You are saying mulch, but I think you probably mean compost. You can start a simple pile in an out of the way corner of your yard, if you have the space, and let it pile up until next year. It will break down to compost eventually, but it does so faster if you turn it with a pitchfork or the like. I prefer to let my chickens scratch mine around their pen until it turns to compost. Then I go in and rake it up to use. I have one of those expensive tumblers, but I think it's too much work to gather needed materials and turn it daily. (my opinion)

I am new at composting, I have only done a little research and just started my first batch.This is the information that I have looked around to find and started using. I've used a couple of trash cans, drilled a couple of holes for air and turn the compost from one to the other regularly. I started with grass clippings, dry leaves, pine needles, and kitchen scraps. I also added garden soil to my compost. The soil helps cover any odors and speeds the process.

Do not compost meat, bones or fish scraps (they will attract animals.) Chicken manure and horse manures are great compost activators, but pet wastes should not be composted. Apple peels, banana peels, peach peels and orange rinds may contain pesticide residue, and should be kept out of the compost. Sawdust may be added to the compost, but should be mixed well and scattered thinly to avoid clumping. The same is true of wood ash.

For the kitchen wastes, I keep a 5 gallon bucket with a lid under my kitchen sink. Chop or blend any peels or chunks to speed the composting process. I haven't heard anyone address the issue, but I choose not to include left-over vegetables that have been cooked with salt.

Leaves and grass clippings are also excellent for compost, but should be sprinkled into the bin with other materials, or put on in thin layers. Otherwise they will clump together and take longer to compost. If you want to speed up the composting process, chop the larger material into smaller pieces. Do not use perennial weeds or weeds/grass gone to seed or you may find them in your garden next year. Adding earthworms does wonders! I try to keep a carbon/nitrogen mix of 3:1(see list below).

Carbon gives compost its light fluffy body. Nitrogen is the enzyme making material.

I moistened lightly, but be careful of over watering. I use an old piece of wood to cover and keep in moisture. Remember that oxygen is just as important as moisture so turn it often. If using some sort of box, use a shovel or pitchfork. I am turning it about once a week. The composting action produces heat until the mixture is done. If it starts steaming you might remove the lid for a time.

A couple of important things to note:

Too little water is better than too much water.

If the pile is too smelly, add carbon.

Carbon Compostables=browns

Garden plants disease free plants only

Leaves chop leaves for faster breakdown

Dryer lint mix well

Wood ash sprinkle lightly

Sawdust clumps, sprinkle lightly

Shrubs prunings are slow to breakdown

Straw (not hay) straw is best, hay has seeds

Pine needles acidic use in moderate amounts

Paper newspaper, cardboard, brown paper

no glossy paper or colored inks

Wood chips high carbon levels, use sparingly

Neutral Compostables:

Eggshells adds calcium

Nitrogen Compostables= greens

Table scraps add with carbon no meats or salt

Coffee grounds use filters too

Tea grounds bags are ok or loose

Fruit and veg scraps add with carbon compostables

Chicken manure acts as an activator

Comfrey leaves acts as an activator

Grass clippings mix well, clumps up

Flowers add with carbon compostables

I have mowed autumn fallen leaves over with a mulching mower. Then just dumped them into beds. Spray them down to stick together so they don't blow away. This has worked for me great in the past. Maybe sprinkle some limestone on them to help decomposed. This holds the weeds back, keeps the moisture in during the summer. They are mostly decomposed by fall the following year making the bed ready for the next batch.

Making Your Own Mulch
Making Your Own Mulch
Home and Garden Gardening CompostingMay 4, 2010
Raking Mulch
Best Mulch for Repelling Bugs
Picture of garden mulch.
Getting Rid of Mold on Mulch
Garden Mulch in Wheelbarrow
Using Mulch In The Garden
wagon of mulch
When to Avoid Using Mulch
🎉
🎄