Rat Droppings in Mobile Home Insulation

I have just read tons of ThriftyFun responses on how to get rid of smells from "downunder". Mine is mobile home underbelly smelly. However, I have an additional problem which no one mentioned, rat poop in the insulation throughout the underbelly (I know, it's gross and disgusting).

The estimates I've gotten have averaged $3000. I just got "cleaned out" by the person who remodeled the inside of my trailer. Is there anyone who knows of a less expensive route? I can't stand the smell and knowing all the poop is completely throughout the insulation is sickening to me. I also believe its the reason I'm feeling sickly since I've been here almost 2 years. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

By babawah from Redmond, WA

You may possibly have some mold issues going on in the insulation as well. If the mobile home is a fixer upper, old water leaks in kitchen, bathroom & washer/dryer can also be culprit to some of the odor. If a dryer vent is not going to the outside wall of trailer, but inside wall or in the floor, moisture gets between walls and floor and can cause mold. I just read up on this and wanted to make sure you are aware of this as mold will make one sick and it does have a musty odor. If there is mold problems, there's an expensive price tag for professional removal of old insulation.

IF it is the mice/rat droppings "only" in the insulation, then I would suggest buying new insulation yourself and hire someone to do the work who you feel is capable.

Do your homework first before tackling by googling how to install insulation under mobile home and get a better understanding what's involved. I would also get a bright lamplight and look around the underside of the home too. Maybe you can see where old problems started.

Set/check traps daily as this is the time of year these critters work their way into homes. Also, you can buy pellets that kill rats/mice and do not leave any odor. They eat it and search for water; get bloated and die wherever.

The old will evenly go away in time, but what you need to do is put rat poison out to control them, and lay cinnamon around. I heard that rat won't come near cinnamon. It will also make your place smell good. I would have all the insulation redone, I know 3,000 is a lot of money but it might be worth it. put that poison out first, then do this every 3 months. The city will normally provide rat poison free of charge and will bring it to you.

My father-in-law lived in a mobile home with this problem, cannot stress enough that you need to get that insulation cleaned out and replaced. And please remember that where there's poop, you're gonna find a nest.

Until you find and destroy the nest, seal up all entry access from the critters and lay down poison, you're going to have continuing problems.

My hubby and his father (both handy) ended up having to tear out cabinetry under the kitchen sink (where the nest was). This was done with all the windows and doors open, multiple fans running, and the men wearing masks and gloves; they discarded all of it, as well as the insulation under the trailer. Disinfected it, replaced the insulation and checked every nook, cranny, corner, and crevice in that thing to make sure nothing else could enter. Remember that a rat can squeeze itself down to an opening only a couple of inches wide.

It will be a lot less costly for you if you have some able-bodied, careful people to help; there are websites (google them) that explain safe handling of rodent-infested areas.

If you already feel sickened, please see a doctor. Rodents carry Hantavirus, which can make you anywhere from mildly to deathly sick; it's nothing to continue to put off.

Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceSeptember 10, 2009
Mobile Homes in Snow
Winterizing Your Mobile Home
mobile homes
Storage Solutions for a Mobile Home
Two pop bottle fish hanging in a window.
Making a Pop Bottle Fish Mobile
Remodeled Mobile Home
Remodeling A Mobile Home