Cat Urine Odor on Clothing

My cat urinated on a some clothes in my bathroom. I put it in my washer, now my washer smells like cat urine. When I wash anything else it comes out with that smell. Does anyone know what I can use to get the smell out? Please help.

By IrishGirl29 from Frederica, DE

Soak in Dawn and baking soda solution in washer: Put in 1/4 cup dawn & 2 cups baking soda in washer while filling with water. add clothes, soak and run regular cycle. Rinse & rewash with 1 cup baking soda in laundry detergent. Again, fill washer with water & detergent before putting in clothes. I always fill washer with detergent, baking soda & water before I add clothes.

Prewash with a goodly amount of white vinegar...I keep a gallon of cheap dollar store white vinegar near the washer for just such a purpose!

I had a male cat use my front porch & door as a toilet. I used white vinegar & a little bit of scented Dawn dish soap. Just sprayed & let dry. It worked really well & it also stopped him from doing it again.

I have the same problem. I just use laundry soap (cheap stuff) and 1/2 a box of baking soda. You are supposed to use cold water as hot seems to "set" the smell. But I start it in warm water so the laundry soap and baking soda mixes well, then switch it over to cold water for the rest of the filling of the tub.

Start the washer and set a timer for about 13 minutes. When that timer goes off, reset the washer for another 15 minutes and then reset your timer one more time. You'll want your clothes to soak in the solution for at least 1/2 hour to 45 minutes. When the washer goes to the rinse cycle, add a 1/2 cup white vinegar.

It works for us. Good luck!

Tide has a new product out to for use with cleaning your close washer of musty & other odors. I am going to give it a try. I think it only costs about $8.00 per box & you can use it a couple times. Also; Oxyclean works well; the powder formula. I clean clothes in this & let them soak overnight in the washer & they come out nice and clean. Even older clothes look much brighter; especially the whites.

Hope this helps! P.S. I love using oxyclean to get pet stains & other odors out of my carpets also. It actually works. I mix up a couple cup fulls of it in warm water & pour it right on the carpet stains & let it dry & then go over it with my carpet cleaner. Works great!

August 15, 2009 Flag

My new cat wet all over some clothes waiting to be put in the washing machine. What is the best way to take out cat urine odor from clothing?

Donna from Middletown, NY

Cat Urine Odor on Clothing

Washing with regular detergent will likely take care of it, but adding a little oxyclean will help. And use water as hot as appropriate for the fabric. (03/10/2009)

By suescats

Cat Urine Odor on Clothing

I put a cup of vinegar in the rinse water. (03/11/2009)

By catastrofy

Cat Urine Odor on Clothing

I have a cat with what the vet calls a behavioral problem because she urinates on any clothing item dropped on floor. I have tried all the above methods and still found when the clothes are re-wet there is still some odor.

I have found one thing that takes it out. Arm and Hammer washing soda. This is different than the baking soda and is found in the detergent/cleaners aisle of the store. But I also found that I had to use one third to half a box (if a blanket) added to a regular size load. Hot or very warm water works best. But if it is cold water item, dissolve washing soda in some warm water first then add cold to it. Then I re-wash it with just detergent. This works the best. (03/11/2009)

By Aurelia

Cat Urine Odor on Clothing

Walmart has a Walmart brand pet stain and odor remover that I have used for several years. I use it in my carpet cleaner, spray it on the area where the odor is and I put it in my washing machine when I wash the clothing item. It works great. You can also use peroxide with it. Give it a try, it's cheap. (03/11/2009)

By billjen1982

Cat Urine Odor on Clothing

Bleach removes the odor, permanently. However, if it's colored clothing that your cat nailed, can't recommend it. Good luck. (03/11/2009)

By leopardstripes

Home and Garden Cleaning ClothingAugust 15, 2009
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
Cleaning Toilet
Removing Urine Odor from a Bathroom
A cat sitting on a couch.
Removing Cat Urine Odor from a Couch
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout