Buying Cream of Coconut

I have a recipe that calls for cream of coconut. I have looked at WalMart, Albertsons and Blue Sage, the only supermarkets available and cannot find it.

Is this a specialty ingredient that I need to find on the internet? Or is it hiding somewhere at the grocery store and I just did not see it? I am not even sure I would know it if it did see it.

Any help out there?

Thanks so much.

Peggy from El Paso, TX

Editor's Note: Coconut milk, coconut cream and cream of coconut are all different products and cannot be used interchangeably. Cream of coconut is thickened and sweetened coconut milk.

Best Answer

I always found it in a tall can. I think in baking aisle.

Ask your grocer. It is not a specialty item

edie in ky

Best Answer

Try the spanish food section. Or if you have a spanish market near you try there. Also sometimes at the chinese restaurant that we go to they have a dish "Coconut Shrimp" that has a coconut cream sauce. Maybe the oriental food section.

Julie

Best Answer

Look in the drink "mixer" aisle or (at my Kroger this is near the softdrinks) or at a liquor store

Best Answer

I have begun using coconut milk/cream to make homemade ice cream (because of dairly intolerance). My grocery store carries the canned stuff in the Asian section. Upon further investigation, I found dried (or powdered) coconut milt at an Asian market here in the area, by calling around. the powder is wonderful, easy to store, and considerably cheaper by yield.

It may be called coconut milk, that will work fine. If your walmart is a super center, they will have it. I wouldn't try the baking isle, I would look in the section that has oriental foods. All of the stores you mentioned ought to carry it. Good luck.

Ours is in the Mexican food section.

LOOK AT YOUR LIQUIOR STORE

there are several kinds of coconut available and what one person calls cream of coconut may not be the same as what you're looking for.

i bought some stuff from the internet called cream of coconut that i would have called coconut butter as it was the consistancy of stiff peanut butter. then there is the sweetened stuff from the grocery store that is a lot of sugar and some coconut. and there are coconut milks in varying consistancy. there is a website called tropical traditions ( i think that is right)that has every type imaginable. good luck.

LOOK IN THE WINE OR BEER SECTION OF YOUR GROCERY STORE --- CREAM OF COCONUT IS USED IN MAKEING PINA COLADAS SOME TIMES CALLED CO CO CASA CREAM OF COCONUT . IT IS USUALLY IN WITH THE DIFFERENT DRINK MIXES. HOPE THIS HELPS

If you cannot find it in the places already suggested, try looking in the section where you get wine, beer, grenadine, margarita mixes, etc..

I have always found it in a can in the liquor section because it is an ingredient in alot of homemade drinks such as pina coladas.

The WalMart I shop with does carry it. It is back by the beer and cold drink section with the drink mixers, but they also have it by the Thai food in the asian food area.

Albertson's is good about getting products that you

request. Ask a store manager to see if they can

order your request.

i have found it at stores that sell chinesse and japanesse food.

i have found it at stores that sell chinese and japanese food.

I buy the best/cheapest at an India store, which come in a CAN, as well as

Coconut Oil, which isn't oil but more like Crisco, and comes in a JAR. It works SO VERY WELL that I use it in most everything. Good for you too!!

Good luck. God Bless.

I believe you can find it in the alcohol aisle where the beer is. Usually called Coco Lopez. It's stocked where Margarita n Pina Colada mixes are.

I know that you can get coconut cream or milk in health food stores, and natural food stores. I have, and also have found that some brands are FAR better than others. Coconut cream, milk, oil, are quite amazing. They are antivirul, antifungal, antibacterial, kill parasites in your body, and from what I understand, being a medium chain fat, your body won't store it. I take 3 or 4 Tablespoons of Virgin Coconut Oil a day, and don't want to be without it. It must be Virgin or Extra Virgin. The other is not good to take.It may actually help you lose weight. I hope you will click this link to find out more about it's great health benefits. http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/. And the best place I have found to get the Oil, good brand, good price, Nutiva brand.(don't know about the cream, but you can check) is http://www.vitacost.com

I was looking for it yesterday--11-21-08. No one seem 2 know what i was talking abot. this was @ WALMRT.

www.tropicaltraditions.com you will have to order it online.

Usually found in isle where alcoholic drink mixes are found.

Trader Joe's coconut cream in 14 oz can $1.49. Cream of coconut is NOT the same as coconut milk. From what I understand, it is a thicker more concentrated version. Kind of like milk versus sweetened condensed milk. I found one in Albertsons in the alcohol mixer aisle but was way more expensive. Good luck!

Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceAugust 16, 2006
Coconut Oil
Buying Coconut Oil
Fresh coconuts.
Using Fresh Coconut
Valentine's ice cream sandwiches.
Ice Cream Cake Hearts
Coconuts
Cooking With Coconut Oil
🎄