New Children's Furniture Smells Bad

I bought a kid's bedroom 10 days ago, when they installed it, and before cleaning it, I started smelling a very bad smell. It didn't smell like lacquer or chemical toxic smell. We contacted the company and they said no one else complained. Is there any solution to remove the smell? I can't put the kids inside I am afraid of toxic damage. Thank you.

By Zeina from Lebanon

I don't know if your situation is the same as mine, but back in February we purchased a new couch and recliner. I got the worst headache and sinus problems after that. I think I was probably having a reaction to the furniture (sometimes I get headaches and sneeze when shopping for clothes -- probably the dyes and sizing on them). It lasted for a good 2-3 weeks. Eventually I got better.

If you can, leave some windows open to help air your the new furniture. I don't remember ours having a "bad" smell. Just new furniture smell. Best of luck!

Many new products exude the lacquers & chemicals & glues, etc. used in their manufacture. I would try to air out the furniture as much as possible - even leaving it out in a garage or similar area, until the gases are totally gone (with the smell). That's one advantage of old wooden furniture - no chemicals!

I would insist they take it back. Doesn't matter if no one else complained - you are! It could be toxic, especially if made in China! As the other posts indicated they had reactions to some type of toxic element. I would not take chances and insist on them taking it back!

Oh, that's the glue that they are using and also the materials that they are making the furniture with. Make sure you stand strong on this and make them take it back. All this composite material that they make some of the furniture with are toxic.

Did you hear about the people who are in those FEMA trailers in Louisiana and how they are all getting sick from the fumes from the walls that were made in China? Don't expose your kids like you already said you won't their lives are way too important.

New green sofa.
Removing Odors From New Furniture
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsNovember 10, 2009
Finding the Value of Conant Ball Furniture
Furniture polish being sprayed on wood furniture.
Removing Furniture Polish Build Up from Wood Furniture
Hands polishing a wood table
Cleaning Wood Furniture
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
🎄