Breakfast Parfait

contest winner icon

I was reading about the healthiest foods in the world, and came to the part about oats. It reminded me about a recipe I used to love, that fell by the wayside for some reason. I don't remember where I got the idea. It was back in the 70s when whole foods and health were popular. Back then, hippies and tree-huggers were into this kind of thing. Well, health and nutrition are main-stream now, so I decided to send this recipe - and to start making it again.

Amounts are so variable, I'll just give general guidelines. You have to start several hours ahead, or preferably the day before, to allow the ingredients to meld and chill. You do NOT cook the oatmeal first. Old-fashioned and quick oats are entirely edible and safe raw, and are in many granolas and mueslis. Do not use instant oatmeal.

• 1/4-1/3 cup quick cooking or old fashioned oats
  • orange juice, about equal to the oats, or a bit more. You may have to play around with the amount, depending on your oats
  • chopped fresh fruits, berries, nuts, and seeds, your choice (banana is much better added when served)
  • all natural, healthy yogurt

Mix your oats and juice. You can use other juices, but grape juice will give you a kind of nasty gray color. Set aside for a couple of hours until all the juice has been absorbed. They will be nice and creamy when served.

Prepare the fruit in bite size pieces. I like a mixture of berries with some apple for crunch. If it is likely to discolor, splash a little orange or lemon juice on, then drain. Add some seeds, like pumpkin seeds, if you like. Chop nuts in small pieces, walnuts, almonds, and pecans are especially nice. They add flavor, nutrition, and another kind of crunch.

Sweeten with a little honey, if you like. Your yogurt should be the healthiest kind. You can use any flavor you like. I prefer vanilla for this.

To assemble: Use a parfait glass, or anything suitable for a parfait. Highball glasses are great. Make 2 layers each of oats , your fruit/nut mixture, and the yogurt. Cover with a lid, or plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight. Serve with a drizzle of honey, chopped banana, or as is.

This is very tasty. I used to eat it for dessert. In the right container, it is easy to take with you or pack for lunches. It is also very nutritious, making a guilt-free treat. Best of all, kids tend to love it.

By Copasetic 1 from North Royalton, OH

With our Florida hot summers that lasts almost forever it seems, a nice cool breakfast is always welcomed. We will enjoy these Parfaits. Good place to add a little more honey to our diets too. Hot oatmeal is good for us, but cool sounds even better.

Thank you for sharing your delicious sounding recipe. Thumbs Up!

Thank you for sharing a recipe that I know for sure my kids will eat. You'll be getting my vote.

This sounds delicious and good for you. We like making our own plain yogurt, and anything with oatmeal has got to be heart-healthy.

This will go at the top of my list of new recipes to try.

Thank you for sharing.

After my husband had 2 heart attacks, (and he'd always had such a good strong heart, so we're not sure what happened), I learned to stop listening to him say he wanted eggs and bacon or ham for breakfast every day.

He gets oatmeal one way or the other 5 mornings a week now, and I was surprised to hear him say the other morning how much better he was feeling. I mentioned the oatmeal, and he scoffed. He's still going to get that oatmeal, and this recipe might make it a little easier for the summer. He will eat yogurt which is going to make it a lot easier.

Thank you so much.

April 25, 2011 Flag

• 1/3 cup low fat granola
  • 3/4 cup seedless watermelon chunks
  • 5 oz banana yogurt (Or you can use vanilla yogurt and add sliced bananas)

In layers, add granola, watermelon, yogurt then repeat. This is a great breakfast for young children and adults on the go.

Fresh fruit and yogurt partait in glass dishes.
Yogurt Parfait Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes BreakfastApril 25, 2011
Ideas for a Breakfast at Tiffany's Bridal Shower, Tiffany's gift box.
Ideas for a Breakfast at Tiffany's Bridal Shower
Red, White, and Blue Jello Parfait
Red, White, and Blue Jello Parfait
Sausage Breakfast Burritos
Sausage Breakfast Burritos
Healthy Greek Yogurt Parfait
Healthy Greek Yogurt Parfait