Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Pee Smell From Fleece Fabric

Does anyone know how to get urine smells out of fleece? My son isn't night-time potty trained yet, and sometimes his diaper leaks. His fleece sleepwear and fleece blanket are both stinky even after having been washed twice. I've tried (one at a time, not all at once!) Oxyclean, baking soda, regular bleach (just a tiny bit since I don't want to ruin the colors of the fleece), and vinegar along with the usual laundry detergent. We're allergic to the perfumes in the anti-static rinses like Bounce, so that's a no go; besides, I want to REMOVE the pee smell, not mask it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Lynne

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Pat Phillips [2]12/30/2009

The only suggestion I have is to use Dreft Laundry Detergent which is especially formulated to remove the urine smell since it was developed to wash diapers.I have used it for years to rid the carpet of pet odors and stains. Long before the new products were on the market.

By Lizzyanny [9]12/30/2009

Have you tried Borax? I have a cat that has a problem and misses the litterbox often. I put 1/3 cup Borateem in a regular warm wash along with the usual detergent and there is never any smell. Borax is inexpensive. A box last a few months.

By Florence [1]12/30/2009

Hi I have had this problem with cat urine smell and I believe that it will work here. Use Murphy's Oil Soap with your regular laundry detergent and it will remove the smell and it doesn't harm the colors or the fabric. I know because my cat wet on a pile of my dirty laundry and I used the oil soap and the smell went away. Hope this helps

By robin (Guest Post)01/06/2007

i find that with my two young girls, the best thing for any stain/odor removal is to add borax to the wash -- and if the smell is really strong, let his jammies and blanket soak in the washing machine with the borax and laundry soap added for a half-hour or so before running the cycle.

has always worked for me! good luck!

By m.Thompson12/26/2005

VINEGAR!!!!
Dilute 1/2 cup of white vinegar with enough warm water to make 4 cups vinegar water.
You can double if necessary.
Just throughly wet his sleeper and blanket in vinegar water and I promise no more odor!!
Then wash as you normally would.
Use this to deodorize his matress too if it needs it.
Much safer than using harsh chemicals in his clothing and bedding.

By Joandogs (Guest Post)10/05/2005

2 suggestions-Oust spray for rooms-I have an incontinent dog and this works quickly and completely on both urine and stool odors. WalMart $3.47 unscented.
Second suggestion-KrudKutter at Lowe's $5.87 for 40 oz in spray bottle. Dog urine on off white velvet chair-sprayed with KrudKutter, waited 3-4 minutes wiped with white towel-no stain,no odor. Will also take out bad laundry stains [spaghetti sauce on white blouse had been washed & dried. KrudKutter took the stain out completely. Sprayed blouse, left it on washer while putting other clothes in, put in and washed with warm/cold water. No smell to it, either

By Debbie Eubanks02/19/2005

Pet Stain & Oder Remover will remove all traces of urine from any fabric or carpeting. There are many different brands, but they all work pretty much the same.

By Suzie (Guest Post)02/19/2005

Try Arm & Hammer's Super Washing Soda. It is a laundry booster in addition to absorbing odors. Good luck!

By Ann4 (Guest Post)02/17/2005

I've had luck washing items with liquid Lysol - just that. Then I wash them a second time with detergent and you could add vinegar to the rinse. I always wash in cold water.

By Cindy Kosloski [1]02/17/2005

I also had the same problem with both of my sons too, I wash the everyting in as hot as water as I can,
with bleach and soap, then I hang everything out to air dry,
the sun and wind helps pull all the smells out
Cindy, from Elkhart, In.

By Zissy [2]02/17/2005

I would say soak the items in baking soda over night then give them a good wash with hot water and then hang them outside to dry.

Hugs, Zissy

By Guest (Guest Post)02/16/2005

Try using spreading shaving crem over the area and let sit for few hours, then wash as usual. Another suggestion is to add 1/2 cup of Mr. Clean or similiar type product along with your detergent when washing the articles. Rinse a second time for best results

By Linda (Guest Post)02/16/2005

Soak overnight in a pretty strong vinegar solution. This won't harm the fabric or color. Drain in the AM and then wash as usual with laundry soap.

If that doesn't work try an enzyme cleaner like Natur's Miracle found in Pet stores.

By Kentucky Lass (Guest Post)02/16/2005

Try adding a cup of white distilled vinegar in your final rinse water. Not only does it help eliminate odors, it is anti-bacterial, and helps remove soap residue. There will be no vinegar smell.
I also like to use downy fabric softener sheets, but NOT on dark clothes, because it spots them. It is a nice clean smell, but if one has allergies, I would just use the vinegar.
Good Luck!

By Fredda (Guest Post)02/16/2005

Most fleece fabrics won't have the colour effected by bleach....also you have to make sure you use hot water.

By Trudy Powell02/16/2005

I've posted this before regarding other questions to do with odors, but since I really believe in it, I'll post it again. I'm an Independent Watkins Associate (i.e. vanilla, spices, extract, liniments, salves, household cleaners, etc.), and we carry an absolutely great product called Odor Zap. It does not mask odors, it completely neutralizes odors through oxidation, actually chemically taking the odor-causing chemicals away. Odor Zap may be sprayed onto surfaces (i.e. carpets, upholster), put in mopping solutions, humidifiers, vaporizers, etc., and may be added to laundry loads. Use for smoke, mildew, paint fumes, or waste matter. May be used on sports equipment, shoes - even wet dogs as the product is 100% safe for people, pets, and the environment. Odor Zap is biodegradable, non-toxic, non-allergenic, non-masking, non-staining, and safe for septic tanks as well.

If you would like me to send you a catalog, just e-mail me and request one and I'll be happy to get one off to you.

Trudy Powell
Independent Watkins Associate
trudypowell@sbcglobal.net
www.mo3bk.com

By Jean Christian02/16/2005

I suggest trying Borax added with your laundry detergent. Good luck! Oh, and is there anyway you dry the items outdoors?

By Rachel [1]02/16/2005

I know that if you wash clothes with real vanilla it will remove smoke odors (like from a house fire) It might be worth a shot. You have to use the real stuff not the imitation extract. I would probably use anywhere from 1/4 to a full cup depending on the size of the wash load.

Also, I believe febreeze makes a "Free" formula. You may try a bit in your wash.

Good luck!