Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

When should you give a housewarming gift?

Do you give a housewarming gift when a person is renting or when they are purchasing a home?

Carol from Abingdon, MD

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By LRP (Guest Post)09/13/2006

my opinion on the matter is if it's the person's 1st apt, fine. but after that wait for the house.

By Matthew Haas [2]09/07/2006

When I first moved out on my own at age 21 (back in 1999), having a new place all to myself was a shock. The first time I went to the grocery store I had to purchase many items that I never would have imagined that every household would need. I'm sure that the people you are considering giving a housewarming gift would appreciate either a gift certificate to a grocery store or an offer to help them move-in and arrange things (if they haven't already). One of the best gifts I received was from an older gentleman neighbor of my parents who had a beautifully landscaped yard. He gave me a really nice houseplant that he himself had transplanted and it believe it or not, it continues to thrive in my living room to this day. Whenever I look at it, I am reminded of my home growing up and the kind neighbors I left behind. I hope that one or more of these ideas will help you out. MATT from NH

By Kelly (Guest Post)09/07/2006

Either is appropriate! I love giving a folding step stool. It's the gift I received years ago that I use daily.

By carla bledsoe (Guest Post)09/07/2006

traditionally it was kept as a celebration of owning a first home.
the first one was probably when the parents threw a party when the newlyweds were finally able to move out on their own!!!
if these are people that move a lot i might not get started on a gift for the new place theme. but if it is someone that plans on staying put i might reconsider.
it's like gift giving for the holidays. where do you stop and at what cost. its an individual thing.

By teatimelady1106 (Guest Post)09/07/2006

I think that a gift should be given only when you want to give one....and anything I am sure would be appreciated. A nice candle..baked brownies...and door wreath...a small planter .....the list goes on and on..give from your heart...and they'll appreciate it no matter if their buying or renting....it's the thoughtfulness that counts....good luck.deb

By Tedebear (Guest Post)09/07/2006

Hi Carol, I agree a gift is always thoughtful and welcome. We generally make up an "instant" fire. Fill a box with everything for a fire in the fireplace. It is always greeted favorably.

By Ljm529 (Guest Post)09/07/2006

I think candles are always a nice housewarming gift, and whether renting or owning a place it is still nice to give a little housewarming gift.

By Lisa Kless [22]09/06/2006

I think it's always a nice gesture, whether they are renting or not. I'd stay pretty "generic" with a gift, since you might not know what patterns, etc. they're using in their decor, and towels, etc. that you buy might clash (for example, you buy rooster dish towels and their theme is fish). But in all, I think any little gift is nice--it's the kind gesture that matters! When my husband and I moved into one of our former apartments, our landlords had left us a little gift basket with sparkling grape juice, two inexpensive wine glasses, etc. It was such a nice surprise!

By Debbie Dzurilla [24]09/06/2006

I don't think it matters whether someone is renting or not....it's still their home! If you know someone that just moved into a new purchased home or rented home and they invited you over, then a small house warming present would be nice....I don't think necessary but none the less would be a nice gesture. I think a dish towel set is always nice.