Grind Coffee Beans As You Need Them

Just discovered the best cuppa joe possible far as staying fresh. The secret? Buy your own coffee grinder (found mine, plus the coffee beans at Kroger). Do NOT grind the beans at the store.

Whenever you want coffee, just measure out a small amount, depends on how strong you like your coffee, but about 1 1/3 Tbsp. works for me. Throw them in the grinder and pulsate for 10 to 13 seconds. Brew the coffee like normal. It will still taste like fresh 2 plus hours later, maybe longer I always get it drank up by then! I always hated the taste it got after about 45 minutes of sitting!

Only grind the beans up as you need them. If you ground them all in the store you'd just have the same effect you've been getting all along, not so fresh and really strong coffee. It's a wonderful feeling to be able to go to the pot and drink my fresh coffee after it has sat there a long time and not be wasting any more, pouring it down the drain. I refused to drink it after it had sat for any length of time past about 45 minutes. If only the restaurants would do this then we all wouldn't be grossed out with bad takeout coffee! So the secret is to just grind the little amount of beans as you need them. Wonderful coffee for me from now on!

Source: My carpenter told me this the other day!

Just started doing this like 4 days ago. Today I tried coffee that had been sitting there 4 hours and same results! Amazing, tasted great!!

We do this as well here in Flint, Michigan. I buy organic free trade beans from Sam's Club. I inherited an electric grinder from my mom, but it never worked that well. The results would be part way too rough, and the grounds near the blade ultra fine. Too rough, or not ground enough, and you don't get the flavor from the beans. Too finely ground beans results in bitter coffee.

Now we grind the beans in an old "beehive" style Oster blender that I found at the goodwill. A blender can give a much more even grind. It's a beautiful thing.

I never thought about the longer time the coffee stays fresh now. That is true.

I wish everyone the wonderful joy of a good cup of coffee!

You guys must be real youngens yet to not have known this - :)

I can't get my favorite coffee unground.

So I just make a half a pot at a time.

Same results; no "old coffee" taste.

I do have a grinder that I use for flavored coffee that I drink only occasionally.

I keep the beans in the freezer and they stay fresh forever.

Another thing that will keep the beans fresh is to freeze them and then only pull what you need for the pot and put the beans back in the freezer.

Also, if you want a great brew, try a French press. I got one for Christmas last year and it's worth it's weight in gold. I use it daily. One of the secrets to using it is to make sure you bring your water to a good rolling boil before adding it to the grounds inside. The high temperature gives you a better extraction than your standard coffeemaker, thus better flavor. Try it sometime! :)

Food and Recipes Food Tips BeveragesMarch 21, 2008
Canning Green Beans, Freezing Green Beans, Growing Green Beans, Storing Green Beans, Drying Green Beans
Storing Green Beans
Freezing Green Beans
Coffe Maker
Cleaning a Drip Coffee Maker
Scattering of dried pinto beans with red peppers and cilantro. Cooking Dried Beans
Freezing Pinto Beans
🎄
🍂