Buying Clothing from the Maternity Rack

Average US female size? Have a tummy? The secret to really cheap jeans (and other pants) is to look at the maternity rack in the thrift stores! They have elastic tops that will adjust to fit you nicely. And most of them haven't been worn that much, either. (Just saw a plus-sized fashionista in a fashion mag who also gets pants in "Maternity" sizes - it's don't ask, don't tell)

By Pam from L.A., CA

Yes, this is an excellent idea. I made up my mind to buy 3 pairs of pants if I ever found a good pair that fit me exactly. I went to a Sears Outlet & they had a huge section w/Land's End women's clothing. I found a pair of black knit pants that fit me exactly with my tummy. I purchased 3 pairs of these pants & they are the most comfortable pants I have ever wore! I will be getting more for sure.

I have a ton of sexy butt hugging Levi jeans but having a baby in 2008 and 2009 left me with a bunch of maternity clothes. I did donate a majority of things to the pregnancy crisis. I just can't seem to part with the maternity jeans I got on sale for $10 at Walmart. I'm wearing them right now!

I have been buying My tops from the maternity rack. I have a rather large chest but to find a shirt to fit there , then The shoulders hang off me. As far as fashion goes your not suppose to have a big chest unless your huge else where too. I have found if I find a cute top in maternity section that's not to baggy in the front it fits well in the shoulders and the chest area too. bonus its long enough it covers my muffin top too.

Got two nearly brand new stylish items from thrift shops this last weekend - but from a surprising rack. OK - first of all we have to agree that when choosing clothing the FIT is a vital category. And that sizing is erratic, at best. So, why not look at the Maternity rack - even if you are NOT expecting? I like long tunics and long t-shirts - and you can find them and stylish stretchy pants here - some hardly worn. (Yes, I have been known to cut out the maternity labels!) What with baby doll dresses coming into fashion again - there will be probably more to wear on that often hidden rack.

By Pam from Los Angeles

Answers:

Buying Clothing From The Maternity Rack

Pam,

Good idea. I walk past the maternity rack at Goodwill every time I'm in there, and never thought it was for me. Thanks.

By Jantoo

Buying Clothing From The Maternity Rack

So right! I've always shopped that section for both my now deceased mother-in-law, and my tall aunt a couple of times in the past years, both just loving the extra fabric and sizing. (You'd think the designers would get wise to what the public really likes, such as: what woman really likes only one pocket on a summer robe? Only a one handed woman, of course. LOL And the fabric contents of clothes offered for sale to us have for the past ten years been such junk that they hardly hold up past a few washings/usage, as if we can afford to buy their "disposable" mistakes! Thank God that more women have finally gotten practical and realistic about comfort, even though some of us have been practical since birth, LOL) Tip: Shop those maternity racks at sale time, regardless, for even better savings, returned items, expandable waists, and slightly "irregular" sizes, which are often undetectable.) God bless practical and reasonable women, and the men who agree.

By Lynda

Are you middle aged and have developed a big waist and stomach, but have a normal bottom and hips? I have started buying maternity pants. They are now made with waistbands (large elastic strip) or a waist that can be tightened to size. A blouse over them and it looks like any other pant. I have been complimented many times now on my new fashionable jeans. They are long and leggy looking. Maternity clothes are obviously designed for the younger set and are trendier looking than the stogey pants I have been buying to get a bigger waist. I now wear a size smaller too! I also have purchased maternity sweaters and blouses that work well if they aren't too full. A good source is Kohl's, Penney's (in a big city) and Target.

By Rae Ann from Templeton, CA

Answers:

Buying Clothing From The Maternity Rack

I tried that and though it fits my waist, I find my hips are not as big as the maternity pants. I do love the maternity tops, though because I am long waisted and everything they make today is too short and when I raise my arms, my belly shows! (01/24/2007)

By fred wendt.

Buying Clothing From The Maternity Rack

I have to agree with this brilliant idea. I'm not middle-aged but I do have a 'maternal middle' due to PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome). That means I'm apple-shaped as opposed to pear-shaped. I'd be living in caftans if it weren't for maternity jeans with elastic in the waist!

I wear long shirts so no-one ever sees the waistband, and I feel a lot more comfortable than I do in a solid waistband or an ill-fitting pair of trousers. Why make the world think my butt is bigger than it actually is? (01/27/2009)

By Anna