Saving Money On Clothing

Clothing costs are a significant portion of many family budgets. This is a page about saving money on clothing.

Here is a big list of tips for saving money on clothing.

Clothing Care:

New Clothing:

Used Clothing:

Read more tips from ThriftyFun users below.

Think honestly to yourself. Most of us only use maybe 20% of the apparel in our closets and dresser drawers! Why not resist the impulse to have something new simply to have something new and we usually purchase on impulse anyway.

Mix and match what you already have. Browse through current magazines and pay attention to how others dress in your location for ideas and inspiration for updating with what you already have.

If there is something you 'need' see if it can be found at a Goodwill or Salvation Army store first. Not only does that save you oodles of money but the proceeds of that purchase also contributes to helping the needy.

Source: Thoughts about the current economy and necessity because of my personal situation.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

I found a way to not only save some money on clothing and household items, but also to make a little money.

Several years ago, when I had gotten a job working in a casino restaurant. I was required to wear white button down shirts, black slacks, black shoes, black socks.

I quickly realized that my shirts were going to be stained nearly every day and I did not want to spend my whole paycheck on clothes.

Average US female size? Have a tummy? The secret to really cheap jeans (and other pants) is to look at the maternity rack in the thrift stores! They have elastic tops that will adjust to fit you nicely.

Make your clothing multi-task. Wear a sweater over a dress and turn it into a skirt. Wrap a shawl around your waist and it is a sarong.

I wanted to share some things I have done in the past and still do today for saving money on clothing for both children and adults. Clothing, along with everything else, is so expensive.

When I was working as a secretary and later a teacher, I dressed to the nines every day. I bought classic clothing that lasted a long time and didn't pay much attention to trends, so some of my secretary clothes spilled over into my teaching career.

Some eBay sellers offer bulk secondhand items very cheaply. What I do is to choose the items I want to keep, and designate others to be offered to other family members, given to charity shops, or upcycled.

I've always bought my sweat shirts at Thrift Stores due to the fact I've always had dogs. I prefer the heavier material type because they hold up better to rough play and yard work.

I have bought my children's clothes from yard sales, and thrift stores for years. Not too long ago, my 19-year-old son came to me and asked ...

Turn your garments inside out before machine washing and drying to reduce wear on edges and creases. You should also do this if you frequently hang your clothes outside to dry because turning them inside out prevents the sun from fading colors. By joesgirl

Want nice stuff cheap? Be willing to do minor repairs! Just got 2 pairs of summer shoes new/practically new for $2 each at a sale at the Salvation Army (they have sales, too) - Why were they there? - One pair of moccasins had to have the lace re-threaded and the other had tiny bleach spots, which I easily filled in with my all purpose marker set! (I have also gotten great deals on clothing with simple ripped seams, lacking buttons, etc.!)

I am always purchasing my clothes the opposite of the season. I purchase my winter clothes in the summer and my summer clothes in the winter, this also goes for my shoes. Going to yard sales in the summer you can purchase both at very cheap prices.

When our children were small, one of the biggest money saving things we did was swap clothing with friends and family. Children grow so fast and their clothing is so expensive. It has always benefited us to do this. Not only does it help our finances, but it helps others as well. By Robin

Take advantage of the clearance racks in buying for your child the next season's clothes. It will save a ton of money, and they can look like a million dollars. Sears, Children's Place provide a lot of additional coupons.

Handwashing with mild soap preceded by a good soak in vinegar and water is one way to help extend the life of your swimwear. Tossing them in the washer and dryer are sure to negatively affect the elastic and fade the dyes.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a page about budgeting for clothing. You can dress well within your clothing allowance with some extra time and smart shopping.

Consumer Advice Clothing AdviceMarch 28, 2012
🎂
📓
🌻