Saving Money On Clothing

Clothing costs are a significant portion of many family budgets. This is a guide about saving money on clothing.

Here is a big list of tips for saving money on clothing.

Clothing Care:

New Clothing:

Used Clothing:

Read more tips from ThriftyFun users below.

Think honestly to yourself. Most of us only use maybe 20% of the apparel in our closets and dresser drawers! Why not resist the impulse to have something new simply to have something new and we usually purchase on impulse anyway.

Mix and match what you already have. Browse through current magazines and pay attention to how others dress in your location for ideas and inspiration for updating with what you already have.

If there is something you 'need' see if it can be found at a Goodwill or Salvation Army store first. Not only does that save you oodles of money but the proceeds of that purchase also contributes to helping the needy.

Source: Thoughts about the current economy and necessity because of my personal situation.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

With the price of things going up and no increase in Social Security, I am trying to save money in every way I can. I found a way to not only save some money on clothing and household items, but also to make a little money. I used to take my clothing to the Goodwill and buy some clothing there. Now, I take my clothing to a Consignment Shop. When the items I take there sell, the consignment shop gets a percentage and I get a percentage. I either buy something I need there or I get a check. It's a really easy way to make some extra money for all the extra I want to get.

They also try and sell household items you may no longer need. I have bought a new watch, earrings, Coach purse, dresses, candles, etc. Give a consignment shop a try, I am sure you will like the extra money you can make. Happy Shopping!

Source: Diana, my daughter.

By dwedenoja from New Creek, WV

Several years ago, when I had gotten a job working in a casino restaurant. I was required to wear white button down shirts, black slacks, black shoes, black socks. I quickly realized that my shirts were going to be stained nearly every day and I did not want to spend my whole paycheck on clothes. I found out that I could buy men's shirts and socks for about 1/2 the price as I could buy women's. Actually, I was able to buy a pack of several men's black socks for the same price as I could have gotten for 2 pairs of women's black socks! I was buying 2 men's white dress shirts for the same cost as 1 ladies blouse cost. No boss ever questioned me about my attire.

By Terri

Average US female size? Have a tummy? The secret to really cheap jeans (and other pants) is to look at the maternity rack in the thrift stores! They have elastic tops that will adjust to fit you nicely. And most of them haven't been worn that much, either. (Just saw a plus-sized fashionista in a fashion mag who also gets pants in "Maternity" sizes - it's don't ask, don't tell)

By Pam from L.A., CA

Make your clothing multi-task. Wear a sweater over a dress and turn it into a skirt. Wrap a shawl around your waist and it is a sarong.

I wanted to share some things I have done in the past and still do today for saving money on clothing for both children and adults. Clothing, along with everything else, is so expensive.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 2

Some eBay sellers offer bulk secondhand items very cheaply. What I do is to choose the items I want to keep, and designate others to be offered to other family members, given to charity shops, or upcycled.

I've always bought my sweat shirts at Thrift Stores due to the fact I've always had dogs. I prefer the heavier material type because they hold up better to rough play and yard work.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 2

I have bought my children's clothes from yard sales, and thrift stores for years. Not too long ago, my 19-year-old son came to me and asked ...

Turn your garments inside out before machine washing and drying to reduce wear on edges and creases. You should also do this if you frequently hang your clothes outside to dry because turning them inside out prevents the sun from fading colors. By joesgirl

Want nice stuff cheap? Be willing to do minor repairs! Just got 2 pairs of summer shoes new/practically new for $2 each at a sale at the Salvation Army (they have sales, too) - Why were they there? - One pair of moccasins had to have the lace re-threaded and the other had tiny bleach spots, which I easily filled in with my all purpose marker set! (I have also gotten great deals on clothing with simple ripped seams, lacking buttons, etc.!)

I am always purchasing my clothes the opposite of the season. I purchase my winter clothes in the summer and my summer clothes in the winter, this also goes for my shoes. Going to yard sales in the summer you can purchase both at very cheap prices.

When our children were small, one of the biggest money saving things we did was swap clothing with friends and family. Children grow so fast and their clothing is so expensive. It has always benefited us to do this. Not only does it help our finances, but it helps others as well. By Robin

This is a guide about budgeting for clothing. You can dress well within your clothing allowance with some extra time and smart shopping.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Take advantage of the clearance racks in buying for your child the next season's clothes. It will save a ton of money, and they can look like a million dollars. Sears, Children's Place provide a lot of additional coupons.