Cleaning Stains on Crocheted Items

I received a hand-crocheted baby blanket as a gift. Somehow it has this brown spot on it. The blanket itself is white. I'm not sure what this spot is, as it was there when I received it, but I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea how to clean it without ruining the beautiful blanket?

Sabrina from Woodstock, Virginia

Best Answer

Request:

How does one wash and block a large, hand crocheted tablecloth? It is 100% cotton, #10 bedspread weight. Also, is starching appropriate for this item?

thistleneedle

Answers:

I've made several crocheted tablecloths. I wash them in my washer on gentle cycle using cold water. You need a flat, clean surface that won't be harmed by moisture on which to dry the tablecloth. I use my picnic table. Spread the cloth out and then "pull" the cloth back into shape before it dries. I sort of start in the middle of the cloth and smooth/pull it into shape while working outward. When it's back in shape (square, oval, round, etc.) just let it dry. I don't use starch as I've found it doesn't drape well over the edges of the table. I'd also avoid drying the cloth in direct sunshine. Good luck!

Post by ShellyE (Guest Post)

Best Answer

Sabrina,

If you are afraid to try washing it, take it to your local drycleaner. They have all kinds of things to remove spots. It does help if you know what caused the stain, because they know what things to try first.

There is a great cleaner on the corner of Main and Reservoir in Woodstock...

Kelly-CHS '84

I have received several very old crocheted tablecloths made from cotton thread, with several brown stains. I am afraid to wash them. What should I do.

I weould soak the blanket in some dawn dish soap.