Cleaning Stains on Crocheted Items?

I received a hand-crocheted baby blanket as a gift. Somehow it has this brown spot on it. The blanket itself is white. I'm not sure what this spot is, as it was there when I received it, but I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea how to clean it without ruining the beautiful blanket?

Sabrina from Woodstock, Virginia

Answers

Best Answer

Request:

How does one wash and block a large, hand crocheted tablecloth? It is 100% cotton, #10 bedspread weight. Also, is starching appropriate for this item?

thistleneedle

Answers:

I've made several crocheted tablecloths. I wash them in my washer on gentle cycle using cold water. You need a flat, clean surface that won't be harmed by moisture on which to dry the tablecloth. I use my picnic table. Spread the cloth out and then "pull" the cloth back into shape before it dries. I sort of start in the middle of the cloth and smooth/pull it into shape while working outward. When it's back in shape (square, oval, round, etc.) just let it dry. I don't use starch as I've found it doesn't drape well over the edges of the table. I'd also avoid drying the cloth in direct sunshine. Good luck!

Post by ShellyE (Guest Post)

Best Answer

Sabrina,
If you are afraid to try washing it, take it to your local drycleaner. They have all kinds of things to remove spots. It does help if you know what caused the stain, because they know what things to try first.
There is a great cleaner on the corner of Main and Reservoir in Woodstock...
Kelly-CHS '84

Answer this Question

16 More Questions

I have several cotton crocheted doilies and bedspreads from my great grandmother. They were stored in an attic for 40 years and have small dark brownish stains that do not come out in simple handwashing.

What can I use on these fragile items?

Answers

Best Answer

There are several things you can try. I would choose one of them only to test these on to see which one works best for you. Find just one and try these solutions to see how it works:

1 part Dawn to 2 parts Peroxide - soak in the solution - rinse and lay flat to dry or hang out in the sun to dry.

Handwash/soak in the sink with Oxi - this one works great too.

Nappy soaker solution is a good cleaner.

Soak in a dilution of 2 parts water to 1 part milk of magnesia, then put into a garment bag and wash on low.

Best Answer

It is expensive, but if you purchase a bottle of Zout and a package of Oxiclean powder, follow the instructions on both and add them together and place the items in the bathtub to soak for several hours, then line dry them in the sun, the stains may come out.

Swish them around periodically (GENTLY). Carefully rinse out all of the soap and water (gently squeeze).

If there are stubborn stains, mix up another batch and this time take a soft bristle tooth brush and rub it into the stains (do not soak). Let the mix sit on the stains for a few hours, then rinse, and again, sun dry

This often works to remove most if not all of the stains. You just have to be so careful since 40 years in storage is bound to have caused dry rot and the threads will be very fragile.

I hope you can restore them!

Post back with updates!

Answer this Question

I have a crocheted church that is probably 20 years old and is yellowing. How can I clean it without losing the shape?

Answers

Best Answer

Since your church undoubtedly has some sort of "stiffener" making it hold its shape it would be difficult to wash and still retain the shape.

• You may have to hand wash the church and then try to find a way to stuff the church back into shape so you can redo the stiffening.
  • Should you wish to try this approach I would suggest you take several photos of the church so you can be sure to get the shape correct.
  • Washing:
  • If the church is white or ecru, hand-wash it one of these:
  • Woolite, use the detergent and try using "oxy" or color-safe bleaches. Let the church soak for awhile in the suds and slosh around.
  • Soak in a mixture of warm water with baking soda and hydrogen peroxide.
  • Combine a few spoons of Twenty Mule Team Borax, liquid detergent in lukewarm water and let soak for a while. Slosh and squeeze the church until clean.
  • Rinse well several times.
  • Roll in a nice thick towel to blot most of the water. Look for something to stuff inside the church to make it hold its shape.
  • You may be able to find something like a glass or plastic square vase and you may have to use wood pieces if there is a steeple.
  • Here are a couple of links that give a lot of information on how to stiffen your doilies.
  • www.crochetspot.com/.../
  • jeddahmom.com/.../
Answer this Question

I have these 3 beaded crochet works with seed beads. They look very old and one has a large stain. Optimally, I would like to clean all three for uniform white background, no stains, without damaging the beading.

Any good tips?

How can I safely get stains out of a white, 30 year old crocheted baby afghan? They appear to be just yellowing from age.

Answers

You can wash as usual, and set out in the sun to dry

I add a bit of baking soda in my wash then sun-dry

Use oxyclean to soak and lift the stains I used it on my lace table cloth and it worked great!!

I would suggest washing it in a large lingerie bag for sure so as to not twist it as the threads may be weakened from age.
Use a gentle or delicate cycle and use plenty of water (full load) so the agitation will not damage the fibers. You can add other light colored items but hot too many - slow gentle swish is what you need.
Use mild soap (Liquid Woolite is good) and add some baking soda. Let soak for several hours (maybe turning machine on once in a while for a couple of minutes). Wash for only a few minutes and double rinse - add a cup of vinegar on second rinse.
Find a nice flat surface where sunshine will be for several hours and shape your afghan so it will dry in the proper shape.
This should work but if any yellow remains just pour water on the spot and let the sunshine (and even dew overnight) do the work for you.
I have had to do this many times over the years and it usually always worked.
Store in a cotton pillow case and never in plastic.

Answer this Question

My daughter is expecting twins and would like to use the shawls that her grandmother crocheted for her as a baby. They have yellowed with age and were knitted in what we call Bri-Nylon. Any ideas on how to get back to that lovely white color back?

Chrissie from United Kingdom

Answers

By Guest (Guest Post)

Rit Dye makes several products for removing color and stains. I have used one called "color remover" or "whitener" (can't remember which) to whiten nylon undergarments that had gotten yellow.

By Cllaudette (Guest Post)

Have you tried vinegar?

I've used color-safe bleach(gentler than regular bleach) with good results. But why not keep that beautiful yellowed color? It's so precious, it says, "this was handed down with love".

Answer this Question

How can I remove rust from an afghan?

How do I get a dried orange tea stain out of a red and white afghan?

This is a lovely top I purchased at a Vinnies store today. It has an unknown stain on it. I have done a quick hand wash to see if it will come out, to no avail. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Answers

Try peroxide.

Try dish detergent, which is very safe. Be careful if you try peroxide, as it might take color out of adjacent areas. See if there's a hidden portion you can test first.

Answer this Question

I have my baby dress give to me by my grandma. A friend of her's made it in purple and white from crochet thread. It has yellowed after nearly 60 years. All of my daughters had baby pictures taken in it. I now have a granddaughter. I want her to have her picture taken in it.

I want to clean it. I've found a recipe using Dawn and Biz, which I substituted for Oxiclean. Is this safe or is there something else I should try? Please help!

By Yvonne H. from DFW, TX

Answers

Anonymous

OxyClean works wonders. It is an oxygen bleach and will not eat the threads like clorox would. I've used it on many crocheted items

How can I remove a "rusty" stain, i.e. orangish, from a baby blanket crocheted by my grandmother. I think it is wool. The colors of blanket are bands of pink, blue and white.

Answer this Question

How do I remove stains from a 60 year old crocheted baby christening shawl?

By T from Belfast

How can I remove wine stains from a really old crocheted table cloth? Grandma made it, probably 60 years ago and it has lain in my aunt's dresser drawer for at least 40 years. I've soaked it regular laundry soap. Now soaking in lemon juice/water. Help!

By Ly

I have some angels that are startched that I've had for awhile and they are very dusty. I tried the can of spray air, but it didn't work. Anyone have a suggestion?

By Julie G.

Answers

I steamed mine clean.

Answer this Question
Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceMarch 4, 2013
🍂
😷
🎄
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf360082.tip.html