Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Freezing Hollandaise Sauce

I like hollandaise sauce, but live alone and end up throwing out most of it. Does anyone have a single recipe or can I freeze the remainder to eat later?

By Debra from St. Cloud, MN

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Anonymous [848]02/25/2010

I read somewhere that you can freeze it for short periods of time, thaw in fridge, and reheat in a double boiler. I also read that the sauce will be okay for up to a couple of days in the refrigerator if not freezing but to also reheat in a double boiler.

I, too, live alone and here's a really simple recipe calculated for one to two servings depending on how much Hollandaise you want to use on your Benedict, fish or veggies. I use this recipe so I don't have to work too hard for the sauce. ;-)

Blender Hollandaise Sauce

1 egg yolk
1/8 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp lemon juice
1 dash Tabasco sauce
2 tbsp and 2 tsp butter

Combine the egg yolk, mustard, lemon juice and hot pepper sauce in a blender and blend for about five seconds.

Place the butter in a small glass bowl or a measuring cup. Heat butter in the microwave until completely melted and hot. Set the blender on high speed and pour the butter into the egg yolk mixture in a thin stream. It should thicken almost immediately.

To keep the sauce warm until serving just place the blender container in a pan of hot tap water.

By Jonnie Shambarger [2]02/25/2010

Since you are throwing it out anyway, why don't you try freezing it and let us all know how it works. One thing I would mention, if you do freeze it you will probably need to beat it up well when you heat it. I freeze lots of gravy-types and this is how I treat them. Hope this helps.