Freezing Spaghetti Sauce

Category Sauces
You can save time preparing meals by making a large batch of your favorite Italian seasoned tomato sauce and freezing it. This is a guide about freezing spaghetti sauce.

When I make spaghetti sauce, I always double or even triple the recipe. After we've eaten a meal from the batch, I freeze the rest in freezer bags and lay them flat to conserve space.

That is probably not new to most cooks, but I wanted to share this information I learned, from a friend who owns an Italian restaurant (repeatedly voted the best in town). They cook up huge batches of pasta and refrigerate or even freeze it. When an order comes in, they take out the appropriate amount of the cold pasta, dip it in boiling hot water, drain and serve. It's as fresh as if it were just cooked!

I often refrigerate or freeze leftover pasta. I save out enough sauce for another meal, and when I'm ready to serve it, I just pull out the bag of leftover pasta, dip it into boiling water, drain and enjoy a meal that is a snap to fix. I have tried both the refrigerated pasta and some I've frozen. We can't tell the difference.

This is a nice trick to have up your sleeve on a busy day. Not only have you been frugal by not tossing leftovers, but you've saved yourself from double prep and clean up time.

By Sandy from Elon, NC

Can you freeze Alfredo sauce? Can you freeze cooked pasta (without sauce), and if so, how would you go about defrosting it? Thanks

Amy K. from Austin, TX

Answers

No expert here, but alfredo made from milk & cheese, flour, etc., will probably be fine to freeze.

Pasta seems be tricky to me. Never really tried it except already-made & mixed up spaghetti.

It may come out as mush when defrosted!

Maybe frozen aldente' then boiled for a few minutes to defrost & complete the cooking process.

You can freeze both Alfredo sauce and cooked pasta but the pasta will be a little mushy when thawed. Thaw pasta in the refrigerator overnight or cook in the micro just as you would a frozen dinner. Milk based sauces tend to pop and splatter when heated in the micro, thaw overnignt in the fridge then heat on the stovetop.

Freezing pasta works very well if you haven't over cooked it. Just boil your water and drop it in. It's done instantly. I've never had good luck with Alfredo sauce. It never has the right consistency after being frozen.

Very helpful. Thanks very much. I made lots for Father's Day, and want to save the leftover. I'll give this a try.

Wow! What a wopper of a tip. Thanks so much.

What kind of bags do you use in boiling water? When I freeze my sauce, I use regular freezer bags. I don't think I can safely boil those. Thanks for taking the time for my question.

By Ramona B.

Answers

I freeze left over sauce either in zip lock plastic bags or plastic containers. Later I thaw them in the microwave. I wouldn't put the plastic baggies in boiling water.