Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Stopping the Burn from Spicy Food

Spicy food can often result in a burning sensation in your mouth or on your tongue. This is a guide about stopping the burn from spicy food.

January 26, 2006 Flag

If you cook something that is very hot and spicy, I suggest that you serve it with some milk to drink with the meal. Milk products help stop the burn left in your mouth from hot, spicy food. Also, you could have ice cream or something like that for dessert!

By Robin from Washington, IA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you sprinkle some sugar on your tongue, the burning will stop. I have used this method over 30 yr.

This is kind of on the subject. My daughter recently had a car wreck and her back was sore. We put Theragesic (kind of like BenGay) on it and it burned really bad. Water did no good. I put milk in a cereal bowl and soaked a cloth in it. I washed her back with it and it relieved the burning pain.

And you thought most Mexican restaurants put a dollop of sour cream on serving plates as a decoration or garnish, didn't you? Sour cream takes the bite of out hot & spicy foods.

i am doing a project on hot sauce burning your mouth then milk bringing it down and according to my results it works you should try it

lol

Sprinkling sugar which someone mentioned works wonders. I was served a dish with I am guessing a type of chili pepper...which I mistook for just a green bean. I ate a whole one in one bit and I was in so much pain I was crying and thought I might have to go to the hospital. I drank milk, put ice on my tongue..did everything and while the milk helped a little the sugar worked right away.

WOW, just in time. I just had this extremely hot sauce and it burned my tongue sooo badly. i was just searching google 'how to stop the burn in spicy mouth' nd boy did u guys help me. So a little reslults, suprisingly the sour cream did not help, but the milk and sugar worked excellently. I put a sprinkle of sugar over my mouth and it felt sooo good, then a glass of milk makes it perfect. U still have the tingling spicy sensation but it doesn't hurt, just feels good. Thank you very much, lol, I m not sweating anymore.

I just had to ride this one out but now I know for future reference!

MAN AM I ON FIRE RIGHT NOW!

Here is a link that might you guys out! http://en.wikip  g/wiki/Capsaicin

Plain yoghurt also has very good cooling effect when eating too spicy food.

When I ate spicy Indian food, they also served a cucumber and yogurt salad with it. This was a nice contrast, and very cooling. I'll bet any milk product would go well.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsJune 22, 2012
Woman Burning Calories
Tips for Burning Extra Calories
Closeup of Gray Squirrel
Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 22, 2017 at 3:23:01 AM on 10.0.0.39 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.