Corn Bread Dog Food

With money in short supply due to our economic times, the ones most likely to go without is our dogs. My tip is to buy a bag of cheap cornmeal and follow the directions for cornbread.

Add leftovers and at least 2 tablespoons of cooking grease or oil to it. Bake in 450 degree F oven in iron frying pan or large pan until golden brown.

As a little girl, I made 2 large pans of cornbread everyday and we had 4 large dogs. This is a very well balanced diet for dogs and cheaper than premade dog food.

Note: Do not feed your dogs or cats bones as they don't digest and slivers can harm your pets.

By fuzzytufts from Folkston, GA

Ordinarily I would not post a personal disagreement, but I am an animal lover and I feel this is necessary. I understand the need to save money and feed the family before pets but cornbread is not a suitable meal for a dog, even in a temporary situation. Corn is used as a filler in most lower quality dog food to keep your pup feeling full while providing very little, if any, nutritional value. You are doing more harm than you realize!

Dogs do not consume grains in the wild and they are extremely hard for your dogs to digest. There are some very low-cost options available as far as pet food go that may not be the best option for long term, they are certainly better than cornbread. In a pinch, contact your local animal shelter to seek assistance for feeding your pets temporarily. You may also contact a butcher's shop or the meat dept in your grocery store for raw meat scraps and/or bones at very low cost. (Raw bones are great for dogs, never feed cooked bones).

Sorry Katie to have rubbed you the wrong way but cornbread is the basic ingredient even in your expensive dog food. At least it doesn't have the poisonous things added. As for raw meat. Never feed raw meat. Check with your vet about your bones and I assume you have never seen an animal die of slivers of bone or bone impacted intestines. Dogs of today cannot survive in the wild because of extensive breeding in most breeds.

One thing I can assure you of and that is our dogs never had stomach problems or their teeth cleaned and always tested neg. for parasites. I guess we did the right thing and we had catch dogs and pets. I raised registered bird dogs for other people too. Don't even suppose to know everything but even vegetables are now offered in packed dog feeds.

Fuzzytufts, I have to agree with "katie". Corn in any form is just a cheap filler in the dog foods. As a general rule, it along with other grains are not found in the holistic dog foods on the market. Certain fruits and vegetables are very good for dogs but others can be deadly, like onions and grapes. Raw meat is certainly OK for dogs, BUT must be introduced into their diets slowly. If you decide to feed a raw diet it becomes a lifestyle change for the dogs, much like becoming a vegan for humans is. Before switching your dog to a "raw" diet a good amount of research should be done by the dog's owner including speaking to their vet. Raw bones do not spinter like a cooked bone does If you doubt it then Google "Raw dog food diet", there is so much information out there. If you need help with feeding your dog, there are now soup kitchens and pantries that cater to the canine family member. Check with your local food pantry as not every one has the supplies on hand.

I think it would be ok if it wasn't their only food. As long as you're mixing veggies and meat in with it great!

We all need to save where we can and if money is tight it's great to be resourceful until your income picks up :-)

Most people don't know what holistic dog food is because the supermarkets don't carry them and last I knew Petsmart only carried one - Blue - which most people have never heard of. True holistic dog foods do not use corn of any kind. Some are grain free, some are not. Some dogs cannot eat grain free without risking kidney damage. The brand I buy is Innova which uses barley and brown rice as their grains. www.dogfoodadvisor.com is a great web-site to check out ratings on all brands of dog food.

No corn meal. Corn is a filler and a lot of dogs have reactions to corn. Causes itching among other things.

Homemade Dog Food Recipes
Homemade Dog Food Recipes
Pets Dogs Dog Food RecipesFebruary 1, 2011
Corn Bread Dressing
Corn Bread Dressing Recipes
Gluten free bread in a bread machine.
Gluten Free Bread Machine Recipes
A stack of corn tortillas.
Homemade Corn Tortilla Recipes
Upclose photo of corn spoon bread.
Corn Spoon Bread Recipes
🎉
🎄