How do I get rid of mildew in closets?
By Joe from Louisburg, NC
Here are the recent answer to this question.
By Beverly Howard10/30/2010
I had the same problem years ago. I discovered the moisture was coming from under the house. I didn't have any leaks, just dampness from the dirt. I did two things; 1) insulated the floors under the house, and 2) laid down a vapor barrier (strong thick plastic sheeting). The problem went away almost immediately. This is a project you can do yourself (contractors will charge a fortune). I was in my 40's and single and was able to do it myself with no outside help. The only recommendation I would give you is to wear a bicycle helmet. I can't count the number of times I banged my head on the floor joists!
Here are questions related to Dampness and Mildew in a Closet.
I have been away for a week. I came home to find that when I opened my closet, there were little beads of water puddles by the hundreds of the floor. My shoes were not wet. This closet is normally the coldest place in my apartment, even without an air vent. What caused this?
By Tam E.
By Luana M. 11/24/2011
I know exactly how you feel. It is how the back of my closets are. If you look I have posted a entry in mold prevention. It list ways to help. It's rather long but if you can take a look under tips; I really feel it would help you out. This can do damage to your clothes so you must address the problem. There are inexpensive ways as well as things you can purchase to help.
One of these is as listed keep it open,or cracked a little. In my home it isn't just in the closets but that moisture causes mildew, damage you may not be aware of. Sorry I couldn't just rewrite it all here but please go look at the current tips, I think its the last one (or first posted). I know it will help. Good luck, God bless!
I have a small child in the house, so this is very scary. I looked in my closet and I saw that there was mildew everywhere. There is a vent beside the closet that has cold air blowing out of it so I guess the moisture from that caused it, but I'm not sure how to get rid of the mildew for good. I bleached everything, but I'm not sure that is good enough! What should I do?
By britt21nicole from Paduxah, KY
By Frances Adams 08/12/2011
Finding and fixing the root cause of the moisture is the only real way to stop it. Temporarily, you can mix a cleaning solution of one cup of bleach to one gallon of hot water, and wearing gloves, apply the mixture to the closet surface with a sponge, and allow to dry.
This should help fade the mildew, although you may have to do it several times. Be sure to keep the solution away from your child, and keep the child away from the midew---it can cause many illnesses and allergies.
Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.
When I opened my closet today, there is a strong smell of musty mildew. This has not been there before, although two times this winter, the sleeve on my sweater was damp when I took it out of the closet. The sleeve was facing the back of the closet, which is an outside wall.
I have lived here two years, and the closet has always smelled fresh. Now today, I cannot stand to open the door! I can find no sign of water leakage in there at all. I don't have money to hire a carpenter, and my husband is disabled. Does anyone have any ideas? What can I do about this smell, that will ruin our clothing?
Julie from Southwestern, Minnesota
How do I tell if I have a mold problem?
Investigate don't test. The most practical way to find a mold problem is by using your eyes to look for mold growth and by using your nose to locate the source of a suspicious odor. If you see mold or if there is an earthy or musty smell, you should assume a mold problem exists. Other clues are signs of excess moisture or the worsening of allergy-like symptoms.
I have found mildew on shoes and a leather jacket in 2 of my closets. Many of our coats smell of mildew, too. These closets both are on the wall running through a bedroom and a bathroom. It was an outside wall, but is now inside an unheated garage. Our house is very humid as well.
I hesitate to use a dehumidifier as they use too much electricity. Any suggestions to get rid of the mildew and humidity? Help please.
By EIW from Lancaster, PA
You may also need to install a vapor barrier in your outside walls and floor. (10/27/2009)
When the bowl if wet with no more crystals in it, you have dryer closets and storage units. You have to keep replacing it, but it's cheap.
I would also clean all the shoes and clothes, and hang the clothes in see through protective zipper hangers and put your shoes in see through boxes, both of which can be purchased through the dollar stores. Good luck. (10/29/2009)
I replaced the switch on our bathroom fan with a timer switch. Now whenever someone takes a shower, they are under strict instructions to set the timer for at least 20 minutes. This has greatly reduced the overall humidity in the house.
In our case, the coldest part of the house was the back closet. No steam going through the house equals no dampness for the mildew to grow in. The closet no longer feels damp or smells.
The timer switch was $20 and I was able to install it myself. You should either be able to do it yourself or find someone who can be bribed with cookies. (11/05/2009)
Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to answer this question.