Using Water Crystals For Rooting Plants

Has anyone ever used water crystals? Can it be used for rooting plant cuttings? I'd like to try it with rose cutting. Has anyone ever tried it, did it work?

Gina from Ozone Park, NY

They have worked very well for me. I found out that they need to be deep in the dirt, because one tiny crystal swells into a walnut-size blob of gel, and they popped up out of the dirt and landed on my deck from the hanging basket. I do recommend them even if expensive. BTW, if you get a good deal on those tie-on bandannas that you are supposed to soak in water, then open it up and use the crystals in that, they are the same. My bandanna was damp long enough to grow mold, so I opened it up and used the crystals in a pot in the garden.

But what if I just want to use the crystals in a case without dirt. Do you think the cuttings will still root?

I was wondering if they could be used in a vase alone w/o dirt. Would the cuttings still grow

Using this "Without" dirt is the whole purpose of using water crystals. They are for looks and are supposed to look pretty.

I just this year bought the water crystals to make the neck tie-ons and bought extra to put in my veggie garden. I mixed it right in the soil, this was suggested by the company that sales it and says to water the garden normally for a about a week so the crystals will swell up. Than you can cut back on watering. I also have a some crystals in a vase and am trying to root another plant. I hope this works.

Rooting Plants
Rooting Plants
Home and Garden Gardening RootingMay 28, 2008
backyard pool
Using Swimming Pool Water for Plants
Rooting Hormone
Make Your Own Rooting Hormone
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener
spider plant in flask
Rooting Plants in Water