Lavender Oil in Laundry

By Mary 2 19

I started making homemade fabric softener (baking soda, vinegar). It works really well in making clothes soft! I also add lavender essential oil, as described in the recipe. It stated 5-8 drops. Well, it smells wonderful until I use it in the rinse cycle. The finished laundry has no smell at all of the lavender! I then used 1/2 bottle, still no smell on the clothes. Am I buying the wrong oil? I bought the kind you can use in making soaps, etc., at a craft store. Does anyone have any ideas why my clothes don't have the wonderful lavender smell? Thanking you in advance.

Mary from Cleveland, OH

Showing: Answers Sort

By Mary Lou 14 765 Flag

If you want to retain the lavender smell it would be best not to put the fabric softener through the rinse cycle. A better idea might be to soak a a lint free cloth with the fabric softener and throw it in the dryer like a dryer sheet with your laundry. Also you might want to make lavender vinegar to be used in your fabric softener recipe. Crush dried lavender and toss into a bottle of plain white vinegar. Cap the bottle and let stand in dark place, shaking it about once a day for 10 days. Strain out the bits and use it in your fabric softener recipe. I like to spray lavender vinegar lightly on my clothes after they are out of the washer and pop in the dryer. Also use it to iron with for special items.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

You take the lavender oil about 4 drops put it on a slightly damp washcloth and put it in the clothes dryer and you clothes will smell wonderful. It will also work for about 8 wash loads with the same washcloth and same 5 drops. Try some lemon oil as well done the same way if you really want a fresh clean smell.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Go to http://www.birchhillhappenings.com They will give you all kinds of recipes and ways to use essential oils for cleaning and laundry and a lot of other good ideas

too. Hope this helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Mary 2 19 Flag

Thank u everyone for your lavender tips. I really appreciate your responses! I hang dry outside, except in the winter, which is when I would really want the lavender smell. But I still do not use the dryer.....I hang them in my basement. (cheap electric bill!) All your input was fantastic; thanks again!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Vinegar gets out all odor. So just add a few drops of your oil on a wash cloth and put in dryer.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryOctober 19, 2007
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
liquid laundry soap
Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent Recipes
Lavender flower in clear liquid filled jar.
Making Lavender Water Recipes
Lavender Essential Oil
Using Lavender Essential Oil
Uses for Lavender
Uses for Lavender
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 10:29:22 PM on 10.0.2.83 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings