Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Parvo Survival Rate

I have a 12 week old Puggle named Snickers. I took him to the vet today to find out if he had Parvo like we thought and he did. He is now in the hospital for 5-7 days. I hope and pray that my baby will make it. What are his chances of living?

By Carter's Mommy from Friendly, WV

By maryann [1]10/01/2009

Hi, I'm sorry your puppy is sick. My dog had parvo and survived but was very weak for awhile. But now is completely recovered. This a website that has medication for parvo. I couldn't get it, but the recipe for the tea, and also there is one for beef liver, really helped a lot. Dehydration is a major factor. When he recovers you can try the recipes, especially the one with the beef liver. http://www.parvobuster.com/parvo-emergency-tea-recipe.php. Hope it helps.

By BrendaSue09/30/2009

So very sorry to hear about Snickers, tough way to get started off in life. We had an akita puppy, Yuri, who got parvo at the vet clinic where we'd gotten her puppy shots on the way home after buying her. She did survive after a struggle but was one sick little baby for awhile. Medical- care costs are negligible compared to the joy & love we receive from our pets who are bonafide members of our families.
Best of luck to you & Snickers ~ wishing you many years of happiness together!

By Ann Lopez09/29/2009

I'm so sorry to hear about Snickers.

My dog had parvo. The vet told me they would do everything they could but not to get my hopes up. He spent 5 days in the hospital and I had a vet bill that was close to $600, but they were able to save my Dizzy. A week later he was running around like nothing had happened.

I hope you're puggle does as well as my poodle.

By Anonymous [848]09/29/2009

Hugs and Prayers to you, Snickers and your family! Please let us know how Snickers is doing!

If you decide to use Virkon please do not soak any fabric furniture with it. You need only wipe the fabric with it. If you soak it you could be opening yourself up to other problems.

By vicki hood [4]09/29/2009

Enema with colloidal silver (where the concentration of parvo is). Half hour you should see improvement. Time to do another enema. Parvo often comes from the vaccine. Very contagious. On you, your shoes, all over. Heed warnings of spreading this horrible disease. Parvo made out of a lab here in the US. Check it out.

By susan [5]09/29/2009

My dog came down with parvo when he was young. He was up to date on all his vaccinations. Be aware that they act as an insurance policy; make odds better that your dog won't contract it, but do not guarantee that he won't. He was kept in our yard with our other pets. He was a Rottie, which is a breed that has one of the lowest survival rates, but we caught it early. He lived through it. We did not have an extremely high or unreasonable vet bill. None of our other pets caught it, and we failed to treat our yard in any way. (We were ignorant of the fact that we should, and no one--not even the vet, told us that we should.)

Our Rottweiler's growth wasn't stunted in any way, in fact, he grew to be the largest one in our area. My point is, we did almost everything wrong, but ours pulled through. I believe the main factor was that we caught it early. Visit your pet, keep his spirits up, and let him know that you love him. Dogs heal from miraculous things. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your puppy.

By Anonymous [848]09/29/2009

My heart and prayers are with you and Snickers and am sending hugs to both of you! Please let us know how he is doing!

As for the over the top insensitive doom amd gloom of MotherOfTwelveCats, ignore it and talk to your vet or vet assistant for details instead. A volunteer animal rescue worker generally has not gone to veterinary school and have state board certification. I also can't imagine a vet or vet assistant would ever tell you to soak your sofa with 'Virkon'.

By Ashley [1]09/29/2009

Our great dane puppy got parvo and survived. It sounds like you caught it early enough for the vets to be able to help out your sweet doggie. Once they let him out everything will be ok. Parvo does live in the ground and i would suggest that you don't put any more puppies in that area but any dog over a year old will be fine in your yard. I wouldn't worry about notifying the neighboors because if your dog got parvo then that means its been in your yard and the other dogs have already been exposed to it. When snickers returns everything will be ok, he may stay a little small for his age but will be healthy.

By Keeper [57]09/28/2009

Count us in to. Hugs and Prayers for you and Snickers.

Keeper and Panda

By Tina [18]09/28/2009

Geez, "MotherofTwelveCats", nothing like gloom and doom. I am sure Carter's Mommy feels bad enough. That picture breaks my heart. I am with "sameoleme", I wish you well, will say a prayer, and please let us know how it goes. Give snickers a hug for me.

By Janet Sigurdson [7]09/28/2009

About a 50% chance now, and the vet bill will be huge. Prevention (vaccination) is far cheaper than the cure. The sad thing is that survivors of parvo often die unexpectedly before they are 5 years old. Suspicion is this is due to organ damage by parvo.

Your yard is contaminated now. You cannot bring an unvaccinated dog in it, or it can easily get sick too. You need to be pet free for a good year, as the virus lives in the soil.

An animal must be FULLY vaccinated (boosted too) in order to be safe in your yard. Pick up and burn poo and dog bedding. Pick up Vircon at (eg) UFA Farmstores along with a weed sprayer and douse everything in your yard. If the pup came into the house, douse the house too. Yes, I mean soak the couch too.

Bleach will work, Vircon is better. The volume you need will cost about $170.

You can spread the virus on your hands, shoes, and clothing. You can drive it out on your vehicle tires. You need to thoroughly treat everything or you put all the neighbourhood dogs at risk too. Please post that parvo is in the neighbourhood so others who have not vaccinated get the heads up to do so. Sorry to have dour news.

Sincerely,
Janet, animal rescue volunteer

By Janus [8]09/28/2009

Puppies can survive Parvo with medical care. And I hope and pray that your precious baby does. Please let us know how he is.