Planting a Boston Fern

Has anyone planted a Boston fern, after they have spent the summer on your porch in the ground and had them to come up the next year?

Peggy from Chillicothe, OH

I live in a much warmer climate than yours and I've never gotten any kind of houseplant to winter over. I think your winters are just too harsh.

I googled "Boston Fern" and apparently it's only hardy on zones 9-10. If you're sure it's a Boston fern and not a Christmas fern (they look similar), I'd keep it indoors. If it were a Christmas fern, you could put it out. Those are very hardy.

These were sold at the Kroger store as Boston Ferns at the start of summer, so I have to take their word for it, as to what it is. Thanks for the feedback. I also googled and it looks as if I will try to find a place for it in my house this winter.

I used to live in the mountains of NH (zone 4) and there were a lot of ferns along the front of the house. (Before I moved there). I'm not sure exactly what kind of ferns they were but they did very well. And on the north side of the house. So I know some ferns are hardy. Find out for sure what kind of fern you have and then check if they are OK for your zone. Many plants are not as delicate as we think. It's not uncommon for the temp. to go down to 25*below zero in NH.

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceSeptember 11, 2007
Fern in the ice and snow.
Winterizing a Fern
stack of light creamy fudge
Recipes for Boston Creme Candy
Brown Bread
Slow Cooker Boston Brown Bread Recipes
Growing carrots and other vegetables.
Planting Vegetables Together
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 24, 2017 at 3:49:17 AM on 10.0.2.252 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.