Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Urine Odors from Backyard

I am looking for a homemade recipe to get rid of dog odor in my dirt back yard. They all seem to pee in the same area every time.

By Toni from Tucson, AZ

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Denise [5]08/07/2010

You could try EMs (Effective Microorganisms). They are supposed to eat the ammonia smell and they are beneficial for plants and animals (and humans). I use a bathroom deodorizer with them and it is amazing. It works in the litterbox to cut down the nasty ammonia odor as well. Do a Google search and you can find lots of information, including how to make a culture once you buy the starter.

By Grandma J [46]08/07/2010

Ridding of the dog odor simple. Increase the amount of water your dog gets. Should be light yellow and no smell for a healthy dog. Our pup had problems when we got her, then the stinky urine. By making sure she had plenty of water all the time, we have no spots in the yard.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Removing Urine Odors from Backyard

I have a very small fenced back yard at my condo. My 50lb dog uses this yard as his bathroom. Every few days I pick up all the poop. I'm beginning to water his favorite urine places every day. Is there something I can put on the lawn to clean it? Like baking soda or something? I'm beginning to feel like the yard is really gross and the urine smell is sometimes too much. What can I do in addition to picking up and watering?

By Cynthea from Greenville, SC

RE: Removing Urine Odors from Backyard

First of all, pick up after the dog each time he goes. If you are at work then pick up the dog waste daily when you get home. That will help odor control. As far as urine smell, just water down the grass every day as urine kills grass.

It would be best to put the dog on a leash and take it for a walk. Let him do his business elsewhere (with you cleaning up after him, of course). (10/12/2009)

By OliveOyl