Keeping Track of Medications

contest winner icon

I take a lot of medication due to my illnesses. To help me sort my medications, I mark the top of the identical bottles with an AM, NOON, or PM and some with both (with a permanent marker). I keep all the bottles in a nice flat bottom bag that is easy to grab and see into when I sort my medication into the individual weekly pill containers. I have a pill container for morning, noon, and night, each a different color and size. Having the bottles marked make it easier to spot the AM pills quickly, as well as the NOON and PM. This helps me a great deal when I am feeling very poorly and my mind isn't wanting to work. When I get a new bottle of pills, I put the already marked lid on the new bottle.

To keep up with my pain medication, I have a note pad by my bottle of pain medication and I write down each and every time I take one and the time of day that I took it, so I do not get confused, this also eases the minds of my family because they can look at my notes if I am sleeping too much. When taking 11 different prescriptions and 18 pills daily, it really helps to keep things running smoothly with little tricks such as these.

I never leave the house without a complete list of all medications that I take and the amounts as well as my allergies, illnesses, surgeries, doctor's, resent tests and contact information. I created this list on my computer so that it is easy to read and update. It is great to enter a doctor's office and hand them my information so they have no questions to ask because all of the answers are there for them, listed on one page and not scattered on several pages like it would be if I filled out their first time visit information.

I hope you can find some help in this information. I have lived by it for over 10 years now because I just cannot remember everything that I take, am allergic to, or all of the other issues doctors want to know. Good luck.

By trbrown22 from Lufkin, TX

One other trick you might like to use is this. When I fill my husbands pill tray for the week sometimes Pill A will run out on Wednesday and Pill B on Thursday. Before I call in the refills I write on a Post-It;

Pill A - Thurs - Sat A.M.

Pill B - Fri - Sat A.M. + P.M.

or whatever the dosages are, that way when the refills are collected I don't have to check the box, and having it on the bathroom mirror (it has never fallen off) reminds both of us that we have to collect the refills.

Thanks so much for the great tips. I use some of the same ideas. The one I will put into practice is the AM, PM on top of the bottles. That will help a lot with pills where I use two containers, but I had not thought of a good plan to separate the meds. Thanks for sharing.

Yes, I too mark my meds with a 1X for morning, 2X for twice a day, and B/T for bedtime. Wish I had thought of this 15 yrs ago. I do carry a list of meds, but this last doctor visit I handed him a folder with a contents page of why I was there/medications/bg glucose chart to sign for pharmacy/sig for jury duty/requests for office (like correct errors in prescription amounts, etc.)

Thanks for all the info - keeping meds list up to date to carry and medical info needed in case of emergency is a great idea.

Organizing Medication
Organizing Medications
Health & Beauty Prescription DrugsJune 22, 2010
Keeping Track Of Medical Information, Stethoscope on a Medical Chart.
Keeping Track Of Medical Information
Potted Rosemary plant.
Keeping Track of Plant Information
Keeping Track of Events in a Calendar
Keeping Track of Events
A woman signing a contract.
Keeping Track of Contract End Dates