Keeping Track of Medication

When you need to take more than one medicine during the day, there are a number of ways you can help yourself stay organized and remember. This is a guide about keeping track of medication.

I take a lot of medication due to my illnesses. To help me sort my medications, I mark the top of the identical bottles with an AM, NOON, or PM and some with both (with a permanent marker). I keep all the bottles in a nice flat bottom bag that is easy to grab and see into when I sort my medication into the individual weekly pill containers. I have a pill container for morning, noon, and night, each a different color and size. Having the bottles marked make it easier to spot the AM pills quickly, as well as the NOON and PM. This helps me a great deal when I am feeling very poorly and my mind isn't wanting to work. When I get a new bottle of pills, I put the already marked lid on the new bottle.

To keep up with my pain medication, I have a note pad by my bottle of pain medication and I write down each and every time I take one and the time of day that I took it, so I do not get confused, this also eases the minds of my family because they can look at my notes if I am sleeping too much. When taking 11 different prescriptions and 18 pills daily, it really helps to keep things running smoothly with little tricks such as these.

I never leave the house without a complete list of all medications that I take and the amounts as well as my allergies, illnesses, surgeries, doctor's, resent tests and contact information. I created this list on my computer so that it is easy to read and update. It is great to enter a doctor's office and hand them my information so they have no questions to ask because all of the answers are there for them, listed on one page and not scattered on several pages like it would be if I filled out their first time visit information.

I hope you can find some help in this information. I have lived by it for over 10 years now because I just cannot remember everything that I take, am allergic to, or all of the other issues doctors want to know. Good luck.

By Tina Brown from Lufkin, TX

Top Comment

One other trick you might like to use is this. When I fill my husbands pill tray for the week sometimes Pill A will run out on Wednesday and Pill B on Thursday. Before I call in the refills I write on a Post-It;
Pill A - Thurs - Sat A.M.
Pill B - Fri - Sat A.M. + P.M.
or whatever the dosages are, that way when the refills are collected I don't have to check the box, and having it on the bathroom mirror (it has never fallen off) reminds both of us that we have to collect the refills.

It is flu season and, unfortunately, some of us get hit hard with it. So, as my husband, my 4 year old and myself all ended up with the flu, keeping track of who I gave the Tylenol to and when I took that cough syrup and all that came up more than one time. I didn't want to end up sicker from taking to much of one thing, or give my son a double dose of Tylenol when it should have been ibuprofen etc.

Now, I take a notebook and write who takes what. For instance, my son might have been taking an antibiotic once a day and COULD take Tylenol every four hours or ibuprofen every 6 hours and hubby may have been taking a cough medicine every 6 hours etc. So I start with the name (mainly I only do this for my son) and write down the side of the paper the meds he takes, then make sure I write the dose.

If he wakes up with a fever of 102, then clearly I give him something for it so I write down the time I gave it. Then I don't have to try to remember who took what and when they took it. Mom usually has this under control but lack of sleep mixed with being sick myself has caused me to be extra cautious and I stick to this now. At any given time I know what he took or didn't, when he took it last etc.

I also log his temperature if he is running a bit of a temperature. And (since my son always gets super sick not just a little sick) when he starts to get a temperature, I log how much fluids he takes in because this is very important to prevent dehydration.

Top Comment

Love this idea and sent it on to the young moms in our family! Thank you!

Here's another idea. When my kids were young, I kept a pretty little bell by their bed to ring if they needed help. It's pleasant sound carried through our big old house, and saved their energy and was reassuring to them. Our kids have continued the tradition and it a blessing to them and their little ones.

When it wasn't in use, I stored it in the medicine drawer. Now a small cheery looking notebook can be kept there as well. You could call it the Get Well Notebook. What a great idea to keep track of sickness patterns over the years as well. If dated, you may realize your child has a tendency to get fall colds or winter sore throats and can be proactive!
Thanks!

I take multiple medications and usually sort them out into a pill carrier every two weeks. However, I have one pill that I take twice a day at different times than my other meds. This pill I take an hour before breakfast and supper. I take it when I first wake up. Sometimes I had trouble remembering if I took the afternoon dose because the times might change if I had taken a nap or been out for awhile.

This has not been a problem since I got the idea, after taking the afternoon dose, to turn the bottle upside down. If it is upside down, I know I have taken it. This could work for any med taken directly from the bottle each day.

By Linda L from Bloomington, IL

If you are taking a pill every day and have a hard time remembering whether you have taken it or not, you can write the day on the pill bottle label every day to keep track. This keeps the record with the bottle and saves you the bother of dealing with a day-of-the-week dispenser.

I have tried this and that, and finally found the best way to take my medications. They have mini mason jars for 2/$1.00 at the Dollar Tree.

This is 7 jars, one for each day. I have a big "I" on the top to remind me to take my insulin in the AM.

I need to take lots of Tums every day, for the calcium. I dump three into a largish pill bottle cap and set it next to my keyboard. I reach for them without thinking about it as I work, and when I reach and find an empty cap, I know I've had that dose of Tums.