Cat Not Using Litter Box

My cat will not use her litterbox or go outside to do her thing. She will only do it inside on paper or in corners. What's up?

By sb6663 from KY

Hello,

Please take your baby to the Veterinarian. There could be a urinary track infection going on.

We had a male cat who wouldn't use the litterbox. After some research what worked for us was, putting the paper litter that is used in hamster cages in his litterbox and putting him and the litter box in a good sized dog crate for about 5 days or so (whatever it takes). The theory is to re-train him to go in the litterbox and since he didn't like traditional litter the paper was soft and similar to the areas he was peeing on. ( It can't be the cedar shavings that are also used to hamsters etc.) I found the paper litter at Walmart and petsmart. When we let him out of the cage we set up two litter boxes one with paper and one with regular litter. After a while he started using the regular litter again. I found this info on an internet search. And it worked for us . Good luck. Oh yes and don't forget to get rid on all old urine and fecal odors. I saw a recipe on ThriftyFun the other day for a solution that works for this.

I have a 3 month old kitten that does the same thing. Sometimes she uses the box, but often she goes in the bathtub or on the floor in the corner of the litter box room. I can't figure out why it's inconsistent.

May 14, 2012 Flag

My cat is going to the bathroom on my desk instead of her litterbox. This has never happened before, and it just started yesterday. Yesterday I had thought maybe it was the box, so I cleaned it, but today even with the clean litterbox, she still uses the bathroom on my desk. She is using the same place, too. I'm getting worried because it might be a habit and I don't want my cat peeing and pooping everywhere around my stuff. I am also concerned that she might start going on the floor, corners, etc. What could be the problem?

By Lindsay L.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

She may have a bladder or kidney infection. That's her way of telling you that somethings not right with her. Please take her to your vet and have her checked out. I had a female cat that started peeing on our leather sofa and when I looked, I noticed some blood in the urine. The vet gave me some pills and it cleared right up. Good luck.

I agree with the previous post. This is very likely a bladder infection. It is a very very painful condition, so see your Vet ASAP. After she has been treated for her condition, clean the spot on the desk with vinegar or an enzyme soak to get rid of the odor so she wont be tempted to return. Bladder infections can recur so be on the watch for this behavior in the future. It will be a reason for a return to the Vet.

December 11, 2013 Flag

I have had this Himalayan kitten since September and she has been on 2 different kinds of antibiotics for a urinary track infection. The vet felt crystals in her urine. She also had an xray and it showed no stones, but after her meds are done 2 days later she starts peeing all over the house, and blood appears in the urine again. I have tried special wet food and special litter to try and retrain her to using the litter box. I have 3 boxes in the house for her to use. Help!

By Ana.M

HI anna, not sure when you posted this, but I can tell you what to use on your kitty to help with the bladder problem. Pick up cranberry fruit 1680mg/ plus Vitamin C if it only comes with the vitamin C. Cut open the gel cap (this is made by Nature's bounty) They can not eat the outside. Scoop the gunk (as I call it) out of the gel cap, and feed it to her. If you have to open up her mouth and stick it in then so be it, Just like with us women getting UTI's, we take these and they are also safe for cats.

You can also put the gunk into her food. If you are mainly giving you cat fish flavored food change it, Fish will case bladder issues esp too much of it. 1 pill a day for 5 days, for better results would be not in the food but if you have a hard time putting it into her mouth then do it with the food. Make sure she swallows it. Do not buy anything other cranberry one, my brother's g/f accidentally bought the one with that flower HIB something and that is dangerous to cats.

November 29, 2010 Flag

My cat keeps peeing and pooping at the bottom of my basement steps. How do I stop her?

By Amber from Altoona, PA

Answers:

Cat Not Using Litter Box

First take your cat to the vet to make sure there are no medical reasons for this. If she comes clean with her health, then you need to figure out why she is not using her box. When you got her, did you keep her confined in a small area with the box until she began using it regularly? This is very important, and you can do it now if you think she needs a refresher course. Also, some cats like the box very clean, and will not use it unless it is clean, meaning you might need to scoop it every day, at least once a day.

There is a lot of info on the net about what you can do about this. Some cats just take longer, but if you are patient, you can work it out. Good luck, let me know if you have any questions. (05/18/2010)

By jmp24

Cat Not Using Litter Box

There is a product called Comfort Zone with feliway that you can spray on a spot and the cat will not pee there again. You need to keep spraying it on a regular basis until the habit is broken. Good luck. (05/18/2010)

By Lizzyanny

May 17, 2010 Flag

We have a three kittens that are 3 1/2 months old; one of the kittens keeps pooping on our living room carpet and won't use the litter box like the rest of the kittens. Why is that?

By Dawne from Saint Ann, MO

Answers:

Cat Not Using Litter Box

It could be that you aren't cleaning the box often enough. Also, one box for three kittens, even though they're small, might not be enough. Always keep the boxes in the same place but if you need to move them then do it only a few feet at a time each day until they are in their new destination. There are also some answers that might be helpful in the archives below. If the behavior doesn't change after more frequent box cleaning and/or adding a second box please call your vet. If the kitten starts urinating outside of the box call your vet right away because it could be a medical problem. (12/08/2009)

By Deeli

Cat Not Using Litter Box

Each cat is supposed to have its own litter box. Actually, each cat is supposed to have two litter boxes, one for eat type of "duty" that it does. So you would need 6 litter boxes for 3 cats. I would try three litter boxes to see if that fixes your problem. (12/11/2009)

By Carol in PA

Cat Not Using Litter Box

Maybe the kitten is a little slow and just hasn't figured out what a litterbox is for. Pick up some of his droppings and place them in the litterbox. Then place him in the box and let him smell his droppings. He may make the connection once the box has his scent in it. I had a couple of kittens that loved to dig in the litter, but took a while to figure out what it was used for. They sat and watched the other kittens use the box for weeks before trying it themselves. To reiterate what someone else said, do not move the litterbox on them at this age--it can really mix them up. (12/13/2009)

By susanmajp

December 7, 2009 Flag

My three year old son and I have recently gotten a 16 month old kitten from a friend. The problem is the kitten doesn't seem to want to use his litter box. A few days after we got him he pooped on the floor (which I contributed to the fact that he had been wormed), but then he pooped in the same spot the next day. I cleaned up the spot and used enzyme cleaner on it and them moved his food to that spot.

Now he is doing fine with that, but a few days ago, I left laundry that I had been separating on the floor and came home to find he had peed all over it. Over the last few days he hasn't used his litter box for urine even once and I found pee in my desk chair. Please help, I clean the litter box every day, don't used strong chemicals or perfumes and have it in a private place. I am at my wits end.

He has been to a vet and it is not a UTI. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Michelle

Answers:

Cat Not Using Litter Box

Have you changed brands of litter? Some cats are so picky they won't use a litter they don't like. (09/20/2005)

By Linda L

Cat Not Using Litter Box

Is he neutered? Does your brand of litter have those nasty "deodorizing" things in it?

I scoop my litter regularly and see no need for chemicals which will burn their eyes and noses. Also, ask your vet for suggestions.

Best wishes.
Jennifer
Northern Virginia
(09/20/2005)

By ILuvDobes

Cat Not Using Litter Box

Your cat might also be peeing in places that have your scent on them, if he is mad at you. Do you leave him home alone for long stretches of time?
He may be bored and mad that he's home alone so much. Does he have any toys to play with, or things to do while you are not there? (09/21/2005)

Cat Not Using Litter Box

Go to PetSmart and buy the cat litter called Cat Attract. (09/25/2005)

By freedombelle2001

A white cat sitting on a couch.
Preventing a Cat from Peeing Everywhere
Pets CatsNovember 29, 2010
Homemade Cat Litter Box
Homemade Cat Litter Box Ideas
Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box
Cat exiting a litter box.
Cat Litter Mat Reviews
Cat Litter
Alternative Uses for Cat Litter
🎉
🎄