Cat Not Using Litter Box

My cat will not use her litterbox or go outside to do her thing. She will only do it inside on paper or in corners. What's up?

By sb6663 from KY

Hello,

Please take your baby to the Veterinarian. There could be a urinary track infection going on.

We had a male cat who wouldn't use the litterbox. After some research what worked for us was, putting the paper litter that is used in hamster cages in his litterbox and putting him and the litter box in a good sized dog crate for about 5 days or so (whatever it takes). The theory is to re-train him to go in the litterbox and since he didn't like traditional litter the paper was soft and similar to the areas he was peeing on. ( It can't be the cedar shavings that are also used to hamsters etc.) I found the paper litter at Walmart and petsmart. When we let him out of the cage we set up two litter boxes one with paper and one with regular litter. After a while he started using the regular litter again. I found this info on an internet search. And it worked for us . Good luck. Oh yes and don't forget to get rid on all old urine and fecal odors. I saw a recipe on ThriftyFun the other day for a solution that works for this.

I have a 3 month old kitten that does the same thing. Sometimes she uses the box, but often she goes in the bathtub or on the floor in the corner of the litter box room. I can't figure out why it's inconsistent.