Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Triple "A" Surgery (abdominal aortic aneurysm)

I had aorta surgery last March. I spent 15 days in Baptist Hospital. I came out with bowel and kidney trouble. I also lost the lower half of my right lung and had a huge hernia just below the breast bone.

Now I have another aneurysm just below the one that was fixed. Has anyone else had these kinds of problems after their surgery?

By John from Knoxville, AR

By Anonymous [848]11/20/2009

Personally, I think you need to be asking the surgeons and a few doctors why you came out with bowel and kidney problems! And what's up with losing part of a lung, is that because of the hernia near the breast bone? I am confused why part of your lung is gone :-(

By Mary [1]11/18/2009

No, John, I can't say that I have. Just surviving a triple A is quite a feat, according to my surgeon/doctor friends. One thing I can do for you though is add you to my prayer family and offer up my pain and health problems for you, so that you might accrue the grace of a complete healing. When I found out about the concept of 'offering it up'. I was so relieved--finally I had something useful to do with the pain and illness and often times 'bedfastness' (I'm not too sure that's an actual word, but let's just say between you and me that it is, OK?) besides make me feel useless and like a burden. Maybe you could start offering up too?

Just a thought, but it sure made a difference in how I handled all of my own health problems, and the emotional ones that they either caused outright or added to already existing ones. Anyway, know that you will be in my prayers either as part of my prayer family or alone. Please know that despite your problems, Jesus does love you... Take care and may His peace be with you. E

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Triple "A" Surgery (abdominal aortic aneurysm)

I recently had a Triple"A", (abdominal aortic aneurysm) surgery. The surgery was located in the abdominal section of the aorta, and the main blood vessel that carries blood away from the heart.

I am looking for info on and about recovery, and wellness after surgery. Pain management, time frames, nerve damage, etc. Experiences of others. Discussions, etc.

Jerry, VA

RE: Triple "A" Surgery (abdominal aortic aneurysm)

I had this surgery three years ago. It took me about six weeks to recover. I had problems sleeping at first because of the location of the incision, but I was never in a great deal of pain. There was some nerve damage along the incision. (09/13/2005)

By Larry

Learn how to meditate and then to relax the muscles. It helped me a great deal (3 surgeries). Doesn't solve all your problems, but it can't hurt to try. I still have bad days and worse days, and I find that the weather makes it worse. Just thought I'd warn you. You're not backsliding, it's the weather. A "high pressure zone" causes pressure on your body. (09/14/2005)

By cookwie

Time frames vary. Many find that it takes three months to really get your energy back, and a year before you get your "body" back. Of course, cutting through the abdominal wall means nerves are cut, so you will have skin numbness there, and occasionally nerve tingling. Your surgical healing means scar tissue inside and out, which you notice when your car hits a bump or you cough. This just goes away over the years. You paid your surgeon to do your worrying for you. So if you have any questions, get your money's worth and ask the surgeon. (09/15/2005)

By the Oracle