How to Find Free or Inexpensive Furniture

By Kellie keel 1

I am a mom in need of household items, furniture, twin bed, double bed and mattress and boxspring for both, living room stuff, and kitchen stuff. I need all of it. Thank you and God bless.

By Kellie from Columbus, IN

Filter Sort

By Ann Lopez 18 Flag

Go to freecycle.org and enter your town. It's amazing what people give away.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Joan 13 1,479 Flag

Salvation Army Thrift Stores sometimes give out vouchers for free furniture from their Thrift Stores. It depends on what they have. Also, if you have a social worker with the Department of Social Services, they should be able to refer you to places. Keep in mind that when you get free furniture, a lot of places require you to transport it yourself. They will load it into whatever transportation you have, but to get it home and unloaded is your responsibility.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Suntydt 75 877 Flag

You can try Craigslist.com and you can check with local churches for assistance.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Vicki 24 428 Flag

Check with some churches in your town also. They often have "helper" programs.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Christine 2 31 Flag

Freecycle is an online group, you give and you get all for free. Kijiji, Craig's list, and other online sites can also help as some have the 'giveaway' area or 'free' area.

Good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Lilac 20 1,329 Flag

In my state we have survival centers. They are usually next door to food banks. This is where people donate items such as you need and they are free. See if your town offers a service like this.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Connie Williamson 2 Flag

Go online and check out www.craigslist.org. All you need to do once you get there is find a large city near you in the listing. Then check the classified in "for sale" and then "free" or "furniture". You can put a value amount in if you wish. I usually have mine set at $0-$100. Happy Hunting! P.S. I usually always check out free first, daily.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By linda roberts 7 40 Flag

Go to craigslist and put in your city. and there is a free section. Check daily. Also check your thrift stores about volcher programs for needy families. Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Archive: How to Find Free or Inexpensive Furniture

I am looking for free furniture or furniture under $20. Living Room furniture is my preference.

Emily from Youngstown, OH

Answers:

RE: How to Find Free or Inexpensive Furniture

Have you ever heard of craigslist? You can advertise on the site for free and they have great deals on used furniture. Here's the link for the state of Ohio. Just click on the city that you live closest to.

http://geo.craigslist.org/iso/us/oh (11/20/2007)

By MCW

I find really nice furniture at yard sales and thrift stores. I purchased a recliner in excellent condition for $5.00. It was a moving sale and the owners were selling their items really cheap just to get rid of them. (11/20/2007)

By dixie35481

www.freecycle.org (11/20/2007)

By imaqt1962

Check you local want ads. A lot of times people just give away furniture for different reasons. Or drive around town, and sometimes people leave free stuff out in front of their houses. I got a few nice pieces that way. Ask friends and family if they have anything stored away they want to get rid of, or for cheap. Some charitable organizations also give furniture to people who need it. Good luck. (11/20/2007)

By Laramay

The Salvation Army and other thrift stores sometimes sell furniture for under $20. They get a lot in and if there is excess stock, they need room for more, and you can make an offer on pieces of furniture, regardless of what price is marked. I have not had much success with Good Will, as they follow a set list of prices, but I have furnished most of my house several times over the years with thrift store furniture. (11/22/2007)

By Cathy

How do I get free used furniture?

By Tatiana from NJ

Feedback:

Try craigslist for your city. (04/06/2009)

By Firedancer67

Sign up for your local Freecycle organization and make a post about what you want. You'd be surprised what people give away, especially if you offer to come take it off their hands!

http://www.freecycle.org (04/06/2009)

By lah34a

I too suggest joining freecycle. I was very blessed to be given an antique wardrobe from a freecycler. It did not have any mirrors or drawer pulls when I received it and needed refinishing. But after some "elbow grease", drawer pulls, and minimal cost for mirrors, I truly have a "diamond" in one of my bedrooms. I am also a thrift store junkie. Have found very affordable pieces of furniture and fabrics for recovering pieces there. Good luck with your search!
(04/09/2009)

By southeastgeorgiapeach

Please very careful what you bring into your home. Make sure there are no unwelcome critters (like bedbugs, among others) in upholstered furniture. That being said, there are lots of "treasures" out there to be discovered!
(04/09/2009)

By ginnee

I want to know where to get a sofa for free, I'm in need of it.

By Marleni from Providence, RI

Feedback:

Have you tried Freecycle in your area? It goes by counties. Just type www.Freecycle.com and check it out. People give away things they no longer need. It always makes me feel good to know I've helped another person with something I no longer want. Good luck. (09/15/2009)

By Grandma Bess

Check your local churches, they often get donated furniture. Also look on your local FreeCycle site and Craigslist.com. (09/15/2009)

By RealtorRose

I was going to say the same thing as the other two posts so far, but be careful. You won't know what kind of bugs or germs might be on/in them. When I first went out on my own in 1972 I bought a really cheap new twin bed size box spring and placed it on bricks and used pillows for back comfort. No one really "needs" an actual sofa. (09/18/2009)

By Deeli

Try alley shopping and curb shopping. People throw away very nice furniture. (09/19/2009)

By kagej10

Have you tried your local Goodwill? My first couch after getting married came from Goodwill and it was free.
Depending on where you are you could try yard sales; specifically moving sales. If you see something you like, but can't afford it you can give the owners your name and number and tell them if they don't sell it you'll buy it for such and such or you'll take it off their hands.

These people are moving they don't want to move large furniture more than they have to. Example: my father was cleaning out my parents' home in Florida and hauling stuff back to what is now his year round house. He had a yard sale the weekend before leaving Florida with his stuff. He had a perfectly good side by side refrigerator that he eventually gave away to the first person that asked about it. (11/13/2009)

By Suntydt

We are a large family and we have moved out of a homeless shelter and are looking for help to get furniture. We have 5 boys and 1 girl and would like to make a nice home for the children. If you have any information on how to get free used furniture that would help.

By Angela from Far Rockaway, NY

Feedback:

You can go to freecycle.org and sign up for their group. It is a program that gives things away to keep them from ending up in the landfill. You know, how you drive down the road and see perfectly good furniture, etc., on the curb for trash pickup. People offer pretty much anything you can imagine on there.

You can also request items. Just read the rules carefully, so you follow their procedures. I have gotten great things off there and I've offered them as well. You might also try Salvation Army. I know some of them have funds to offer you furniture, usually from their thrift stores.

Congrats on getting your own place. Be happy.

Della (04/16/2010)

By dellajo

There's a category on Craigslist for "free" items and you can find some bargains there, but be prepared to go fast. There's also Freecycle in a lot of areas. Check out the local churches as many times they may know of someone in need of having something gone. Good luck to you and God bless you and yours. (04/16/2010)

By tahloolabelle

Most Salvation Army thrift stores give out vouchers for free furniture. There is usually an office for them that you have to go to in order to get the voucher. The furniture might not be great, but better than none. What you get depends on what they have at the time. Make some calls. Also if you belong to a church ask there. They might have some members that are ready to get rid of something. (04/16/2010)

By redhatterb

Some towns have a survival center just for that purpose. They are located next to the food bank in our town. Look for one, and God bless. (04/16/2010)

By Ann

Check out your local college and apartments that cater to college students at the end of the school year. You'd be amazed at the things some students throw out instead of taking it home or putting it in storage over the summer. (04/16/2010)

By readingiggits

I and my two sons are in need of some furniture for our new apartment. Where can I go to get free furniture?

By Reva from Sacramento, CA

Feedback:

Go to a Salvation Army thrift store and ask for a voucher for the furniture that you need. They might not have everything that you need, and it might not be real fancy stuff, but usable. They don't give out things like TVs, etc., but as a whole you can get most other things, and kitchen utensils, etc. (05/20/2010)

By redhatterb

Yard/garage sales. You'll be surprised how cheap you can negotiate down prices. (05/20/2010)

By bkvander

I don't know about free, but we furnished our kids college apartments by going online to Craig's List and found great deals. We always went with them to pick up the stuff as I am a bit leery about sending a young kid to an unknown house. However, most were other college students in the area selling their old stuff. (05/20/2010)

By Amy3e

Try homereserve.com website. They deliver to your door and the furniture is a mix/match and very reasonably priced. (05/20/2010)

By Lorelei

All of the above are good suggestions. I would also suggest mentioning to your friends and family in a mass email that your sons are starting off and would be willing to take cast off or extra pieces of furniture. Have them do so as well. (I know that many parents get rid of furniture from kids rooms when those "kids" leave for college, so their friends may have stuff for them, too.) They may end up with some wacky things they don't need, but you can always give those away.

Also have them list what they feel they absolutely need. For some people it's a dining room table or a bed and for others it's a sofa, and look for those specific items, price them out and prioritize based on what they personally need. They can get TV trays and get by for a while until they can save up or collect here and there what they need.

Good luck.

(05/20/2010)

By poepadoe

Go to: freecycle.org and look for one near you. You can offer or ask for different items. I suggest taking a friend with you when visiting homes for safety sake. (05/20/2010)

By yoder178

craigslist.com has a free section and also you can look for people who are selling close to your location (05/21/2010)

By carolenam

I'm a mom of 3 and am looking for a sofa in good condition. Does anyone know the best way I can find one? Thanks.

By Pamela from Enid, OK

Feedback:

Have you tried your local Salvation Army store or Goodwill store? They often have beautiful furniture for next to nothing. (06/22/2010)

By AvaElizabeth

Go to the Salvation Army office and ask about free furniture. If they have anything to give away, you should be able to get a voucher to take to their thrift store. Also call the Department of Social Services and explain your situation, maybe they can tell you of a place that you can go to obtain what you need. I know where I live there is a place called The Furniture Mission, that takes in gently used furniture, and anything needing to be cleaned or have small repairs made, is done by volunteers. People can go there and get what they need, however they do need to have a voucher from a social worker, and/or I don't know what other organizations would be acceptable. The Mission is operated by a group of churches in town. (06/22/2010)

By redhatterb

I'm with the Thrift Shop people. I recently bought a beautiful couch, can find nothing wrong with it for only $65.00! I have been going to thrift stores and yard sales for over 40 years; so buy very few things new anymore.

Here are some tips:
Go online and find every single thrift store in your area within the # of miles you want to go, both big and little. Put info on the list for hours, phones, what items you have bought there if you want, etc. Convert it into a driving map. Keep a list of things you are looking for in your car, both in shops and yard sales. It may take a while and a few trips.
Don' be afraid to ask if this is their "best price" or when their sale days are, will they deliver, etc.
For furniture I would look first at the thrift stores. Be careful at private sales you can't always see the bugs till you get home.

The kids and I would take a day and have fun! And on the way to the first store we would stop at every single yard sale. You won't believe the money you will save. Have fun. (06/22/2010)

By Dahl_Kaiser

Try your local Freecycle (or similar site) or free stuff on your local Craigslist! (06/22/2010)

By pamphyila

Try this website for thrift stores in your area. http://www.thethriftshopper.com/ (06/28/2010)

By DeBushe

If you are affiliated with a church of any sort, be sure to let your Sunday School members or your church circle know that you are in need. We have helped so many people at our church find the things they've needed, so it's always my first place to turn when anyone needs anything. It's also the first place we turn when we have anything that someone might need when we are ready to share it. Whether it's an excess of food, toiletry items, linens or clothing or an older car, we first try to find someone through our church who is in need.

We also have a church pantry which is a bit more than just food items. In that pantry, we keep all kinds of things for people who might be living out of their cars for instance, and who would have no way of cooking or preparing food other than things like canned meats, canned beans, crackers and cookies. We might also have things like single use containers of shampoo, lotion, soap, washcloths, maybe towels, things that can be used without needing a home, electricity, etc.

I hope this helps you. Your church can be a wonderful helping hand and you can give back just as much as you get in your own time and way.
Good luck and God bless you.
(06/28/2010)

By PookaRina

Check out the resale or consignment stores in your area. By law (at least in Ohio), they must use a particular disinfectant spray on all pieces of upholstered furniture and bedding before they are allowed to sell it. If you don't find what you want, leave your specifications with the shop owner. My sister owns a resale shop and she keeps lists of what people need in case she finds the items at estate sales. If you let the shop owner know that you will only buy it if it's what you want, you will not be obligated. (06/28/2010)

By Goldie2

Ask everyone you know if they know of anybody who has (whatever it is you are looking for) that they want to get rid of. One time at work, I was asking people if they knew of anyone who needed a loveseat, and one of the girls said that she did and would be happy to come and get it. It made both of us happy. (06/28/2010)

By skinney54

You probably already found one, but I recently got a really nice but affordable couch at Overstock.com. You might want to check them out: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Sofas-Loveseats/Sofas,/category,/2027/subcat.html (10/13/2010)

By Goolia

Finding Free Furniture
Finding Free Furniture
Better Living Frugal Living AdviceOctober 25, 2010
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Finding Free Furniture
Finding Free Furniture
Antique wood three drawer table and upholstered side chair.
Cleaning Antique Wood Furniture
Furniture polish being sprayed on wood furniture.
Removing Furniture Polish Build Up from Wood Furniture
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 2:54:37 PM on 10.0.1.174 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

AnswersArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings