How to Find Free or Inexpensive Furniture

I am a mom in need of household items, furniture, twin bed, double bed and mattress and boxspring for both, living room stuff, and kitchen stuff. I need all of it. Thank you and God bless.

By Kellie from Columbus, IN

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Go to freecycle.org and enter your town. It's amazing what people give away.

Salvation Army Thrift Stores sometimes give out vouchers for free furniture from their Thrift Stores. It depends on what they have. Also, if you have a social worker with the Department of Social Services, they should be able to refer you to places. Keep in mind that when you get free furniture, a lot of places require you to transport it yourself. They will load it into whatever transportation you have, but to get it home and unloaded is your responsibility.

You can try Craigslist.com and you can check with local churches for assistance.

Check with some churches in your town also. They often have "helper" programs.

Freecycle is an online group, you give and you get all for free. Kijiji, Craig's list, and other online sites can also help as some have the 'giveaway' area or 'free' area.

Good luck!

In my state we have survival centers. They are usually next door to food banks. This is where people donate items such as you need and they are free. See if your town offers a service like this.

Go online and check out www.craigslist.org. All you need to do once you get there is find a large city near you in the listing. Then check the classified in "for sale" and then "free" or "furniture". You can put a value amount in if you wish. I usually have mine set at $0-$100. Happy Hunting! P.S. I usually always check out free first, daily.

Go to craigslist and put in your city. and there is a free section. Check daily. Also check your thrift stores about volcher programs for needy families. Good luck.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

October 25, 2010 Flag

I'm a mom of 3 and am looking for a sofa in good condition. Does anyone know the best way I can find one? Thanks.

By Pamela from Enid, OK

Answers:

Have you tried your local Salvation Army store or Goodwill store? They often have beautiful furniture for next to nothing. (06/22/2010)

By AvaElizabeth

Go to the Salvation Army office and ask about free furniture. If they have anything to give away, you should be able to get a voucher to take to their thrift store. Also call the Department of Social Services and explain your situation, maybe they can tell you of a place that you can go to obtain what you need. I know where I live there is a place called The Furniture Mission, that takes in gently used furniture, and anything needing to be cleaned or have small repairs made, is done by volunteers. People can go there and get what they need, however they do need to have a voucher from a social worker, and/or I don't know what other organizations would be acceptable. The Mission is operated by a group of churches in town. (06/22/2010)

By redhatterb

I'm with the Thrift Shop people. I recently bought a beautiful couch, can find nothing wrong with it for only $65.00! I have been going to thrift stores and yard sales for over 40 years; so buy very few things new anymore.

Here are some tips:
Go online and find every single thrift store in your area within the # of miles you want to go, both big and little. Put info on the list for hours, phones, what items you have bought there if you want, etc. Convert it into a driving map. Keep a list of things you are looking for in your car, both in shops and yard sales. It may take a while and a few trips.
Don' be afraid to ask if this is their "best price" or when their sale days are, will they deliver, etc.
For furniture I would look first at the thrift stores. Be careful at private sales you can't always see the bugs till you get home.

The kids and I would take a day and have fun! And on the way to the first store we would stop at every single yard sale. You won't believe the money you will save. Have fun. (06/22/2010)

By Dahl_Kaiser

Try your local Freecycle (or similar site) or free stuff on your local Craigslist! (06/22/2010)

By pamphyila

Try this website for thrift stores in your area. http://www.thethriftshopper.com/ (06/28/2010)

By DeBushe

If you are affiliated with a church of any sort, be sure to let your Sunday School members or your church circle know that you are in need. We have helped so many people at our church find the things they've needed, so it's always my first place to turn when anyone needs anything. It's also the first place we turn when we have anything that someone might need when we are ready to share it. Whether it's an excess of food, toiletry items, linens or clothing or an older car, we first try to find someone through our church who is in need.

We also have a church pantry which is a bit more than just food items. In that pantry, we keep all kinds of things for people who might be living out of their cars for instance, and who would have no way of cooking or preparing food other than things like canned meats, canned beans, crackers and cookies. We might also have things like single use containers of shampoo, lotion, soap, washcloths, maybe towels, things that can be used without needing a home, electricity, etc.

I hope this helps you. Your church can be a wonderful helping hand and you can give back just as much as you get in your own time and way.
Good luck and God bless you.
(06/28/2010)

By PookaRina

Check out the resale or consignment stores in your area. By law (at least in Ohio), they must use a particular disinfectant spray on all pieces of upholstered furniture and bedding before they are allowed to sell it. If you don't find what you want, leave your specifications with the shop owner. My sister owns a resale shop and she keeps lists of what people need in case she finds the items at estate sales. If you let the shop owner know that you will only buy it if it's what you want, you will not be obligated. (06/28/2010)

By Goldie2

Ask everyone you know if they know of anybody who has (whatever it is you are looking for) that they want to get rid of. One time at work, I was asking people if they knew of anyone who needed a loveseat, and one of the girls said that she did and would be happy to come and get it. It made both of us happy. (06/28/2010)

By skinney54

You probably already found one, but I recently got a really nice but affordable couch at Overstock.com. You might want to check them out: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Sofas-Loveseats/Sofas,/category,/2027/subcat.html (10/13/2010)

By Goolia

June 22, 2010 Flag

I and my two sons are in need of some furniture for our new apartment. Where can I go to get free furniture?

By Reva from Sacramento, CA

Answers:

Go to a Salvation Army thrift store and ask for a voucher for the furniture that you need. They might not have everything that you need, and it might not be real fancy stuff, but usable. They don't give out things like TVs, etc., but as a whole you can get most other things, and kitchen utensils, etc. (05/20/2010)

By redhatterb

Yard/garage sales. You'll be surprised how cheap you can negotiate down prices. (05/20/2010)

By bkvander

I don't know about free, but we furnished our kids college apartments by going online to Craig's List and found great deals. We always went with them to pick up the stuff as I am a bit leery about sending a young kid to an unknown house. However, most were other college students in the area selling their old stuff. (05/20/2010)

By Amy3e

Try homereserve.com website. They deliver to your door and the furniture is a mix/match and very reasonably priced. (05/20/2010)

By Lorelei

All of the above are good suggestions. I would also suggest mentioning to your friends and family in a mass email that your sons are starting off and would be willing to take cast off or extra pieces of furniture. Have them do so as well. (I know that many parents get rid of furniture from kids rooms when those "kids" leave for college, so their friends may have stuff for them, too.) They may end up with some wacky things they don't need, but you can always give those away.

Also have them list what they feel they absolutely need. For some people it's a dining room table or a bed and for others it's a sofa, and look for those specific items, price them out and prioritize based on what they personally need. They can get TV trays and get by for a while until they can save up or collect here and there what they need.

Good luck.

(05/20/2010)

By poepadoe

Go to: freecycle.org and look for one near you. You can offer or ask for different items. I suggest taking a friend with you when visiting homes for safety sake. (05/20/2010)

By yoder178

craigslist.com has a free section and also you can look for people who are selling close to your location (05/21/2010)

By carolenam

May 20, 2010 Flag

We are a large family and we have moved out of a homeless shelter and are looking for help to get furniture. We have 5 boys and 1 girl and would like to make a nice home for the children.

April 16, 2010 Flag

I want to know where to get a sofa for free, I'm in need of it.

September 15, 2009 Flag

How do I get free used furniture?

April 6, 2009 Flag

I am looking for free furniture or furniture under $20. Living Room furniture is my preference.

Finding Free Furniture
Finding Free Furniture
Better Living Frugal Living AdviceOctober 25, 2010
Colorful Valentine' Day cookies.
Gluten-Free Valentine's Desserts
Young woman using computer
Finding Free WiFi Connections
Furniture polish being sprayed on wood furniture.
Removing Furniture Polish Build Up from Wood Furniture
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 23, 2016 at 2:06:15 PM on 10.0.1.124 in 392 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.