Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

How to Find Free or Inexpensive Furniture

I am a mom in need of household items, furniture, twin bed, double bed and mattress and boxspring for both, living room stuff, and kitchen stuff. I need all of it. Thank you and God bless.

By Kellie from Columbus, IN

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By linda roberts [5]03/21/2011

Go to craigslist and put in your city. and there is a free section. Check daily. Also check your thrift stores about volcher programs for needy families. Good luck.

By Connie Williamson11/05/2010

Go online and check out www.craigslist.org. All you need to do once you get there is find a large city near you in the listing. Then check the classified in "for sale" and then "free" or "furniture". You can put a value amount in if you wish. I usually have mine set at $0-$100. Happy Hunting! P.S. I usually always check out free first, daily.

By Lilac [18]10/30/2010

In my state we have survival centers. They are usually next door to food banks. This is where people donate items such as you need and they are free. See if your town offers a service like this.

By Christine [2]10/30/2010

Freecycle is an online group, you give and you get all for free. Kijiji, Craig's list, and other online sites can also help as some have the 'giveaway' area or 'free' area.
Good luck!

By Vicki [21]10/26/2010

Check with some churches in your town also. They often have "helper" programs.

By Suntydt [75]10/25/2010

You can try Craigslist.com and you can check with local churches for assistance.

By Joan [13]10/25/2010

Salvation Army Thrift Stores sometimes give out vouchers for free furniture from their Thrift Stores. It depends on what they have. Also, if you have a social worker with the Department of Social Services, they should be able to refer you to places. Keep in mind that when you get free furniture, a lot of places require you to transport it yourself. They will load it into whatever transportation you have, but to get it home and unloaded is your responsibility.

By Ann Lopez10/25/2010

Go to freecycle.org and enter your town. It's amazing what people give away.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: How to Find Free or Inexpensive Furniture

I am looking for free furniture or furniture under $20. Living Room furniture is my preference.

Emily from Youngstown, OH

RE: How to Find Free or Inexpensive Furniture

Have you ever heard of craigslist? You can advertise on the site for free and they have great deals on used furniture. Here's the link for the state of Ohio. Just click on the city that you live closest to. http://geo.craigslist.org/iso/us/oh (11/20/2007)

By MCW

I find really nice furniture at yard sales and thrift stores. I purchased a recliner in excellent condition for $5.00. It was a moving sale and the owners were selling their items really cheap just to get rid of them. (11/20/2007)

By dixie35481

www.freecycle.org (11/20/2007)

By imaqt1962

Check you local want ads. A lot of times people just give away furniture for different reasons. Or drive around town, and sometimes people leave free stuff out in front of their houses. I got a few nice pieces that way. Ask friends and family if they have anything stored away they want to get rid of, or for cheap. Some charitable organizations also give furniture to people who need it. Good luck. (11/20/2007)

By Laramay

The Salvation Army and other thrift stores sometimes sell furniture for under $20. They get a lot in and if there is excess stock, they need room for more, and you can make an offer on pieces of furniture, regardless of what price is marked. I have not had much success with Good Will, as they follow a set list of prices, but I have furnished most of my house several times over the years with thrift store furniture. (11/22/2007)

By Cathy

How do I get free used furniture?

By Tatiana from NJ

Try craigslist for your city. (04/06/2009)

By Firedancer67

Sign up for your local Freecycle organization and make a post about what you want. You'd be surprised what people give away, especially if you offer to come take it off their hands!

http://www.freecycle.org (04/06/2009)

By lah34a

I too suggest joining freecycle. I was very blessed to be given an antique wardrobe from a freecycler. It did not have any mirrors or drawer pulls when I received it and needed refinishing. But after some "elbow grease", drawer pulls, and minimal cost for mirrors, I truly have a "diamond" in one of my bedrooms. I am also a thrift store junkie. Have found very affordable pieces of furniture and fabrics for recovering pieces there. Good luck with your search! (04/09/2009)

By southeastgeorgiapeach

Please very careful what you bring into your home. Make sure there are no unwelcome critters (like bedbugs, among others) in upholstered furniture. That being said, there are lots of "treasures" out there to be discovered! (04/09/2009)

By ginnee

I want to know where to get a sofa for free, I'm in need of it.

By Marleni from Providence, RI

Have you tried Freecycle in your area? It goes by counties. Just type www.Freecycle.com and check it out. People give away things they no longer need. It always makes me feel good to know I've helped another person with something I no longer want. Good luck. (09/15/2009)

By Grandma Bess

Check your local churches, they often get donated furniture. Also look on your local FreeCycle site and Craigslist.com. (09/15/2009)

By RealtorRose

I was going to say the same thing as the other two posts so far, but be careful. You won't know what kind of bugs or germs might be on/in them. When I first went out on my own in 1972 I bought a really cheap new twin bed size box spring and placed it on bricks and used pillows for back comfort. No one really "needs" an actual sofa. (09/18/2009)

By Deeli

Try alley shopping and curb shopping. People throw away very nice furniture. (09/19/2009)

By kagej10

Have you tried your local Goodwill? My first couch after getting married came from Goodwill and it was free. Depending on where you are you could try yard sales; specifically moving sales. If you see something you like, but can't afford it you can give the owners your name and number and tell them if they don't sell it you'll buy it for such and such or you'll take it off their hands.

These people are moving they don't want to move large furniture more than they have to. Example: my father was cleaning out my parents' home in Florida and hauling stuff back to what is now his year round house. He had a yard sale the weekend before leaving Florida with his stuff. He had a perfectly good side by side refrigerator that he eventually gave away to the first person that asked about it. (11/13/2009)

By Suntydt

We are a large family and we have moved out of a homeless shelter and are looking for help to get furniture. We have 5 boys and 1 girl and would like to make a nice home for the children.

I and my two sons are in need of some furniture for our new apartment. Where can I go to get free furniture?

I'm a mom of 3 and am looking for a sofa in good condition. Does anyone know the best way I can find one? Thanks.