Eating Beets for Iron Before Giving Blood

I have a tip that might be a bit weird but works. I give blood a lot, but sometimes my iron is not up to par. So instead of going there and coming home because of iron too low, I bought a small can of red beets with the juice and put it in the fridge overnight.

On the morning of, I drank the juice, it was a bit bitter but worked. Next time I think I will put some sugar in it before I drink it. Sometimes women's iron is low because of hormones, etc. and I got tired of being sent home because of low iron.

By Barbara from Shoemakersville, PA

When I donate blood and my iron is low the Red cross always tells me to go home and eat spinach or liver or both.

HaHa!

The day before I go, we have liver for supper!

I guess we learn all the tricks!

Spinach is a good source of iron also.

strawberries to and chicken livers are great for high iron

I've had the same problem with my iron levels. I always take a vitamin supplement with iron for about a week before the blood drive.

I just donated blood 3 days ago for the 66th time. There were times when my iron has been low also, but think I have finally found a combination that helps! You know those little boxes of raisins that you can buy for kids snacks? The Red cross people told me to eat two of those boxes the day before giving blood, and two the morning of donating. They also said not to drink tea, as tea keeps your body from absorbing iron.

I heard that it is really the caffeine, so much to my dismay, I stopped drinking tea, coffee, pop, AND CHOCOLATE, for about a week before donating blood. And even being in the middle of my "monthly", I had a good iron level this time!

I just donated blood 3 days ago for the 66th time. There were times when my iron has been low also ... but think I have finally found a combination that helps! You know those little boxes of raisins that you can buy for kids snacks? The Red cross people told me to eat two of those boxes the day before giving blood, and two the morning of donating. They also said not to drink tea, as tea keeps your body from absorbing iron. I heard that it is really the caffeine, so much to my dismay, I stopped drinking tea, coffee, pop, AND CHOCOLATE, for about a week before donating blood. And even being in the middle of my "monthly", I had a good iron level this time!

Don't you hate leaving without giving? Clive, our blood drive coordinator, said to sit on your hands to make sure your hands are warm. He was turned down --had never been turned down before--and had them take the sample from each hand and failed. He then sat on his hands and warmed them up and passed the 3rd time! My blood pressure was also more than 20 points lower in one arm than my first arm they tried!

Millie

young medical professional holding sign- Blood Donors Wanted
Donating Blood
Health & Beauty AdviceSeptember 26, 2008
Canning Beets, Drying Beets, Growing Beets, Selecting Good Beets, Peeling Beets, Freezing Beets, Fresh Whole and Sliced Beets
Peeling Beets
Canning Beets
Pickled Beets
Pickled Beets Recipes
Freezing Beets
🎄
🍂