Freezing Cooked Oatmeal

Category Time Savers
Make a large batch of oatmeal and freeze some for a quick meal later. This is a guide about freezing cooked oatmeal.

I have high cholesterol and want to start eating oatmeal daily, but the instant is not effective in lowering it. Has anyone tried making oatmeal in a large batch and then freezing it in single serving sizes to reheat in the morning?

Mary

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Use milk instead of water before freezing. Add some Equal or Splenda, sugar substitute. When defrosting in microwave, add a pinch of water. When done you may add cut bananas or raisins, or both.

OR BOTH.

You can make your own instant oatmeal by doubling or quadruplelling the recipe. Place half of it in the blender and grind it till quite fine. Add the rest, pulse a couple of times - there you have it - instant oatmeal. Microwave as usual.

A lady I work with mixes regular oatmeal (not instant) with milk and refrigerates it over night. (without cooking it!)

In the morning she microwaves it just to heat it up, adds sugar, a bit more milk if needed and enjoys! This way you're getting the benefits of non-instant oatmeal with some time saved.

I use to cook my Oatmeal on top of the stove and eat it with milk and sugar. But, I stopped doing that and all I do is put about 3 tsp. in a coffee cup and put a lil water to cover the oatmeal. Then nuke it for about 1 minute. Then I sprinkle cinnamon and half a swt n low. I don't miss the milk at all. YUM YUM

I have been steaming organic oat groats, purchased from a natural foods store, in my Cuisinart steamer for the past couple years. I generally freeze the oats in 1/2 or 1c portions. After defrosting, I add a tablespoon of ground flax, soy milk, berries, etc. which ensures a delicious, healthy, low cost meal. See Diana Mirkins 'How to cook whole grains' via http://www.drmirkin.com/

We use the oat groats too! My kids wouldn't eat oatmeal when it was mushy instant, but they LOVE this! I just cook 3 days worth and it keeps fine in the frig in a tight sealed container for three days.

All very good ideas already, so I would say, if you are still interested in freezing it, try a serving, and see how it turns out, then you will know if you like it and is convenient for you. A friend of mine just makes a big batch and keeps in the fridge.

#1, if you use quick oats, all you have to do is bring the water to a boil and stir in the oats and let it stand for a minute. Freezing it would mean thawing it, and then you have to heat it up anyway. We put in flax seeds, walnuts, raisins, grated apples, or whatever we have on hand. It's like dessert! My husband's cholesterol is like a 20-year-old's!

#2 Try eating uncooked regular oats mixed with milk, raisins or other dried fruit, any dried seeds, and fresh fruit. We learned this from the Nearing's books about self-sufficient living. They called it Horse Chow. It's unbelievably tasty!

When I saw my doctor about high cholestral. He told me about microwaving oatmeal and he said it is good for you. The recipe is 2/3 cup water, 1/3 cup quick cooking oatmeal and microwave for 3 minutes.

Trader Joe's stores sell frozen single servings of steel cut oats, but they're pretty expensive. I think you can freeze the ones you make, though. You can soak oat groats like people have said, which makes them really really good for you, since it preserves the enzymes that help you digest the food. If you want to use a "healthy" sweetener, I'd recommend stevia or agave nectar, b/c they don't raise glucose levels (contributes to diabetes) and they are low in calories. Stevia's sometimes called "nature's healthy sweetener" or something like that.