Freezing Cooked Oatmeal

Make a large batch of oatmeal and freeze some for a quick meal later. This is a guide about freezing cooked oatmeal.

March 19, 2005 Flag

I have high cholesterol and want to start eating oatmeal daily, but the instant is not effective in lowering it. Has anyone tried making oatmeal in a large batch and then freezing it in single serving sizes to reheat in the morning?

Mary

Best Answer

Use milk instead of water before freezing. Add some Equal or Splenda, sugar substitute. When defrosting in microwave, add a pinch of water. When done you may add cut bananas or raisins, or both.

OR BOTH.

#1, if you use quick oats, all you have to do is bring the water to a boil and stir in the oats and let it stand for a minute. Freezing it would mean thawing it, and then you have to heat it up anyway. We put in flax seeds, walnuts, raisins, grated apples, or whatever we have on hand. It's like dessert! My husband's cholesterol is like a 20-year-old's!

#2 Try eating uncooked regular oats mixed with milk, raisins or other dried fruit, any dried seeds, and fresh fruit. We learned this from the Nearing's books about self-sufficient living. They called it Horse Chow. It's unbelievably tasty!

When I saw my doctor about high cholestral. He told me about microwaving oatmeal and he said it is good for you. The recipe is 2/3 cup water, 1/3 cup quick cooking oatmeal and microwave for 3 minutes.

Trader Joe's stores sell frozen single servings of steel cut oats, but they're pretty expensive. I think you can freeze the ones you make, though. You can soak oat groats like people have said, which makes them really really good for you, since it preserves the enzymes that help you digest the food. If you want to use a "healthy" sweetener, I'd recommend stevia or agave nectar, b/c they don't raise glucose levels (contributes to diabetes) and they are low in calories. Stevia's sometimes called "nature's healthy sweetener" or something like that.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Time SaversFebruary 19, 2013
Freezing Potatoes, Potatoes on white background
Freezing Potatoes
A bowl of oatmeal.
Saving Money On Oatmeal
Two colors of frozen ravioli.
Freezing Cooked Pasta
Freezing Eggplants, Eggplants on White Background
Freezing Eggplants
🎄
🍂
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 17, 2016 at 8:01:58 PM on 10.0.0.159 in 951 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.