Freezing Cooked Oatmeal

Category Time Savers
Cooked Oatmeal
Make a large batch of oatmeal and freeze some for a quick meal later. This is a guide about freezing cooked oatmeal.

I have high cholesterol and want to start eating oatmeal daily, but the instant is not effective in lowering it. Has anyone tried making oatmeal in a large batch and then freezing it in single serving sizes to reheat in the morning?

Mary

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Use milk instead of water before freezing. Add some Equal or Splenda, sugar substitute. When defrosting in microwave, add a pinch of water. When done you may add cut bananas or raisins, or both.

OR BOTH.

My mother loves oatmeal, so she started making oatmeal muffins. I believe the recipe came from Jane Brody's cookbook. She's used to be the food editor (and probably still is) for the New York Times. My mother typically doubles the recipe and makes about four dozen muffins which she freezes. She takes whatever she wants out of the freezer and heats it up in the oven. I use regular oatmeal and simply cook it in the microwave. It takes 3 minutes to prepare, and tastes just like the stuff that is prepared on the stove. If you are looking for the healthiest stuff, you want steel cut oats, and they are the principal ingredient in Irish oatmeal, but that takes substantially longer to cook. I don't think freezing it would work well. It would get freezer burn, and then get all mushy when you tried to reheat it. The microwave method takes no time. I simply cook it in a measuring cup. I do that for my husband on a regular basis.

Will the quick oats help you? If so, I eat the quick oats daily and find that just adding boiling water to the oatmeal cooks them enough for me.

Christy

I would think that microwaving frozen oatmeal would take longer than cooking the quick oats each day in the microwave...to 1/2 c quick oats, add 1 c water and zap at full power for 90 seconds. I use one shake of salt too. Then sweeten with a teaspoon of fructose (fruit sugar) and cinnamon and add milk. REALLY good!!!