Freezing Uncooked Oatmeal

Category Dry Goods
Uncooked oatmeal can be stored in the freezer for quite awhile. This is a guide about freezing uncooked oatmeal.

Can you freeze dry oatmeal?

By Barbara from Chesapeake, VA

Answers

Best Answer

I always freeze my oatmeal and any other grain product. It kills eggs of those bugs that are found in all grains. Storing the grains and flour products in the freezer if you don't expect to use it all with in the dates suggested will make it stay fresh longer.

Best Answer

Yes, you can freeze uncooked oatmeal to extend shelf life. I do it all the time. I put it in a Ziploc gallon bag and put in freezer but when I want to use some or it, I bring to room temp first.

Yes, I buy old fashioned oats( 6 grain blend) in 50 lb bags from Honeyville grains. They only charge 4.99 for shipping no matter how much you order. I also buy 50 lb bags of whole wheat berries for flour from them . I store it all in large zipp bags in my big freezer. I also have a 50 lb bag of white rice saved in there. I've never had a problem with any of it. Its as fresh as the day I stored it. Bulk buying really saves me a lot money too .

By all means, you can freeze grains, nuts, flour, sugar, and many things that can be used in foods or for cooking. The only thing I've found is that cheese products don't freeze well, unless you are using them in something that's going to be cooked. Like I buy and freeze cream cheese for cheesecake, on sale, then when I want to make the cheesecakes, I just thaw them out and make as normal.